Security+Plus plans for the Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nissansr said:
We just wanted to offer all forum members an additional discount on Nissan Security+Plus plans that we offer online. If you're going to get a great deal on the car, why not the added assurance of Nissan's plans.

http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/leaf-coverage/

Discount Code: LEAF10

What is the extended warranty on the battery pack on the "LEAF 2WD Gold 96 Month 120,000 Mile Coverage" ?

Do you have any information about this service plan that is Leaf specific - it looks like a regular Nissan service plan with a Leaf part number (e.g. there is no engine or transmission in a Leaf)

The plans are essentially the same as any other Nissan plan. The information was only released 6 days ago and is as follows:

"All four plans offer extensive component coverage including coverage of electric vehicle power train components such as the electric motor, inverter, and reducer.

Battery coverage is not included with any of the available Security+Plus plans and terms because Nissan’s 8 year/100,000 mile electric vehicle battery warranty covers the Nissan LEAF Li-Ion battery and its components."

It does say "Electrical: All electrical components, including wiring harness repairs."
And it even has a picture of a battery under Warranty coverage.
battery.gif

Seems like the battery is fully covered. Not clear what capacity they're guaranteeing, though.

nissansr said:
The plans are essentially the same as any other Nissan plan. The information was only released 6 days ago and is as follows:

"All four plans offer extensive component coverage including coverage of electric vehicle power train components such as the electric motor, inverter, and reducer.

Battery coverage is not included with any of the available Security+Plus plans and terms because Nissan’s 8 year/100,000 mile electric vehicle battery warranty covers the Nissan LEAF Li-Ion battery and its components."
Are those plans discounted online or is that the same as in the dealership?

Every dealership is allowed to sell the plans at any markup we choose. It's the same as a car. For instance, some dealers will mark up a vehicle over MSRP and others will sell the same vehicle for invoice or below.

We sell the plans online at a price point where it makes sense for us and our dealership, but there is no set price for them and they will vary from dealer to dealer.

nissansr said:
Every dealership is allowed to sell the plans at any markup we choose. It's the same as a car. For instance, some dealers will mark up a vehicle over MSRP and others will sell the same vehicle for invoice or below.

We sell the plans online at a price point where it makes sense for us and our dealership, but there is no set price for them and they will vary from dealer to dealer.

Can I buy the car from another dealer and get the plan from you?

GroundLoop said:
It does say "Electrical: All electrical components, including wiring harness repairs."
And it even has a picture of a battery under Warranty coverage.
battery.gif

Seems like the battery is fully covered. Not clear what capacity they're guaranteeing, though.
Take a closer look at that battery picture. Seems to me the plan covers the 12V accessory battery only.

Just my humble opinion here........I think the "Security+Plus" plan is just another waste of money for the buyer, and a money-maker for the seller. :| .

It really all depends on what you end up paying for the plan. When you think about the fact that this is a vehicle that can only be serviced and repaired by a specially trained Nissan tech, it does make sense in the long run.

For example, let's say you pay roughly $1000 for a six year plan, and a average dealership repair rate is $110 per hour. That breaks down to 9 hours of repairs, without taking into consideration parts ect.

nissansr said:
It really all depends on what you end up paying for the plan. When you think about the fact that this is a vehicle that can only be serviced and repaired by a specially trained Nissan tech, it does make sense in the long run.

For example, let's say you pay roughly $1000 for a six year plan, and a average dealership repair rate is $110 per hour. That breaks down to 9 hours of repairs, without taking into consideration parts ect.

I've got similar plans on both of my cars now. I'd say a lot of it depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle and I only use it to supplement the standard warranty after it expires and up and until I plan to get rid of the vehicle. I was able to get a similar, forum-discount which ended up in a fair deal (vs. the coals you usually get raked over when purchasing at the same time you do your car). One has paid for itself twice over in the 5th year of ownership, one hasn't (that car is currently in it's 5th year of ownership).

nissansr said:

I have to agree with derkraut here. Extended warranty plans are great cash flow devices for the seller.

An EV is simpler mechanically than an ICE vehicle so there's less to go wrong. And there's really nothing in the car that "can only be serviced and repaired by a specially trained Nissan tech" and any claims to the contrary go against US warranty laws and other agreements in place to protect both consumers and the independent parts producers and repair shops.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61697

Vehicle manufacturers must install systems to alert drivers when an emissions control system is malfunctioning. The electronic systems, called “on-board diagnostics” (OBD), are used to monitor the emissions control system along with a number of other vehicle functions. The law requires that the aftermarket have access to OBD service information in order to repair and service a vehicle. Beyond the law, SEMA has partnered with the automakers on sharing technology information that translates into increased sales of both SEMA member and vehicle manufacturer products. For more information, see “SEMA Technology Transfer Section” (http://www.sema.org/techtransfer/) which makes available OEM-provided data and minimizes or eliminates the necessity for reverse engineering.

“Right to Repair”: The automakers entered into an agreement with the Automotive Service Association in 2002 to voluntarily provide independent repair facilities with diagnostic codes needed to fix vehicles equipped with onboard diagnostic (OBD) computers. 19 automakers are posting repair and diagnostic information on the web -- http://www.NASTF.org/ -- although it would be expensive to purchase the scanners and software from all the different companies. Nevertheless, the Coalition for Auto Repair Equity (CARE), the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA) and other groups do not believe the agreement goes far enough to address access and cost issues, and provide an enforcement mechanism. These organizations support the "The Motor Vehicle Owner's Right To Repair Act" which has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives and in several States but, at the moment, faces an uphill battle if to be enacted into law.
Yes - in the near term there's only going to be one source of some system parts, maintenance info, and/or training, but there's no reason why an independent shop cannot diagnose a problem and buy replacement components from the Nissan parts network just as independent shops do now.

But none of this really applies to an extended warranty plan, as the add-on plan would likely not pay for repairs until the basic warranty is dead - and by then the independent shops will be more capable of picking up the slack and most folks will turned-in their leases.

One last thing to consider for any add-on warranty: Factory warranties are bound by US federal law - including the Magnuson-Moss warranty act - that provide the consumer basic protections. Add-on warranties are separate agreements made between the insurance company and the consumer - and are not subject to the same consumer protection laws already in play.

One common example of how the rules change: A new car warranty is in effect if the owner performs required maintenance, or uses superior products at longer service intervals. If an engine failure happens, the manufacturer must prove the modified service interval caused the damage before refusing a claim. An extended warranty agreement might (and many do!) say that the owner must move from the factory 1 year or 10,000 mile oil changes with synthetic oil to 3 month or 3000 mile oil changes with petroleum oil. If later there is engine damage the extended warranty can be completely void if the consumer misses a 3000 mile interval even if the 3500 mile change had absolutely nothing to do with the failure.

Extended warranty? Not this kid...

Take the cash you would have spent on an extended warranty, put it in a 5yr CD and see how you fare in the end. :)

I think Extended Warranty is one of those things people fall for just once. My first car, my first warranty, and the next five years learning about all the ways that Every Single Thing that broke was excluded from warranty.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/12/14/pm-are-extended-warranties-worth-it/

NANCY MARSHALL GENZER: Electronics stores offered extended warranties first. Now all kinds of retailers do, on everything from cars to jewelry. But research from Consumer Reports shows extended warranties are unwarranted. That's because most products don't break during the extended coverage period -- which is why extended warranties produce such a great revenue stream for retailers.

JOE FELDMAN: Yeah, it's very profitable. And it's much richer profit than selling some of the goods.

That's Joe Feldman, a retail analyst at the Telsey Advisory Group. He says Best Buy used to report extended warranty sales. That is, until analysts figured out that the chain made half its profits from warranties. They make up for the deep discounts box stores offer. Economists say manufacturers know this. So some have shortened their own standard warranties to make their retailers' extended coverage more appealing.

Extended warranties are always a gamble in my opinion. I have bought them in the past, and some times they have paid for themselves (and more) and other times I never used them.

I just got all my money back on a digital camera, since it stopped working 2.5 years after I bought it. So that was nice.

I bought one on my Prius and it has also paid for itself. For that one, I had the water pump, stereo, and LCD screen all go bad. Those repairs would have cost more than I pad for the plan. Also I had some strange error messages and warnings that were fixed under the warranty. Something with one of the ECU's on the car. I was told I would have had to pay for those if I didn't have the extended warranty. I also did not pay full price for the plan. I think that is an important point. It needs to be priced right.. and have enough coverage. My plan covered bumper to bumper on my Prius for 100,000 miles.

But the fact that the LEAF has less 'stuff' in it than an ICE is an interesting point. Some aspects of the car are simpler than an ICE car.. others are more complex (read electronics, battery, inverter, etc). If they had an extended warranty that did cover the traction battery that would be even more interesting.

As it is right now... I expect the plan to cost less than my Prius one did (since there is less 'stuff' in the car). If it doesn't.. I wouldn't buy. But I do find them valuable... also a piece of mind thing too. Mechanics who were knowledgeable about the Prius (outside of the dealership) were hard to find in the early days. Sure they could change the brake pads.. but I didn't want them tinkering with the inverter or battery unless they really knew what they were doing.

-Peter

prberg said:
Extended warranties are always a gamble in my opinion. I have bought them in the past, and some times they have paid for themselves (and more) and other times I never used them.

This best sums up how I've fared...but almost always within the past 7-10 years (7 out of 9 times), they've paid for themselves...and on the whole, I've only had Most people tend to compare the retail price of these things and true, if you base the 'it's not worth it' determination on that, you'll always be correct. *however* I've had great luck getting just-above-wholesale pricing on warranties and maint contracts which I have *always* paid off...and I buy them very selectively.

To the ICE vs. non-ice. My last two Toyota warranties have more than paid for themselves (purchased at wholesale ~$600 and ~$700) due to NON-ICE items failing outside of warranty. One by a few hundred already (still not expired), the other by several thousand. Actually, I believe the non-ICE stuff is what's more likely to fail these days.

take your own path obviously..but that's my 2 cents. you almost spend the kind of cash on mud flaps and cargo organizers :)

Ok, I did the Gold Preferred Plan, $1614 added to my cost. I just got the service agreement book from Nissan today, page 5, section 8 titled What Is Not covered:
8.1 Any component of an electrically powered vehicle, i.e., any vehicle whose propulsion is provided by an electric motor and / or power source, is not eligible for and is not covered by this agreement.
8.2 Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, convertible top material, moldings, bright metal, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing, any and all in-vehicle communication systems, airbag sensors......... rattles ,water leaks, wind noise, immobilizer key, and remote key less entry and the list goes on and on.
So according to line 8.1 this whole thing is for not.
Says you can cancel within 60 days if you have not filed a claim. I think I am going to call
first thing Monday. Also going to call the dealer to find out why they sold me a agreement
that is not good with "any component of a electrically powered vehicle"
What do you guys think, anyone else buy this and recently get the paperwork?

Back