Rolling 2013 Features into 2011/2012 models

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanton

Shouldn't they be able to retro-actively add some of the 2013 (new) features--like Google® local search, Pandora® link for iPhone® and iPod® cover art--to the 2011/2012 models via software upgrade? I would even think that something like the "B-mode regen" could be added/modified via software upgrades.

You would think so, providing there is sufficient room in their EEPROM chips for the extra software and that the built-in CPUs are powerful enough to accomodate the new features. But this used to be uncommon in the automotive world, though times they are a changin'... Both Tesla and the Ford MyTouch offer regular software upgrades (probably others too).

Instead of regular oil change/ services I'd be happy to put extra money into updating/upgrading the car to newer specs. It would be nice if they would provide an upgrade path :)

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. It is rare in the auto business to provide new features to older vehicles.

The manufacturer wants you to buy a new car, not keep fixing up your old one.

TEG said:
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. It is rare in the auto business to provide new features to older vehicles.

Hopefully that'll be another thing that Tesla will be able to change in the auto industry, especially since many of the desired updates are software-only...

ahagge said:
TEG said:
Hopefully that'll be another thing that Tesla will be able to change in the auto industry, especially since many of the desired updates are software-only...
Maybe they already have: :shock:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/01/ces-2013-ford-gm-app-developers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy Palmer told us they are going to call all Leafs back in for another software update in spring. They are definitely going to flash the CM (Combination Meter), so I asked for the SoC meter to be included. There's no technical reason why they can't do this, but TEG is right, I don't expect them to do it. They probably would also have to issue new owner's manuals again if they did, so that is a big expense and a reason to not do it.

The head unit is a different story, as apparently it requires a special SD card to be ordered by the dealer for it's firmware updates. There's probably no reason you couldn't flash the new code into the old head unit if they end up updating the Gen2 unit with an SD and you can convince the dealer to try it, but I don't expect this to happen.

Even though the Climate control hardware is likely the same, the software is not compatible due to the heat pump, so don't even ask. (The button layout is also different)

-Phil

^^^
I guess that's how Tesla can justify the $600/year (or $1900 for 4 years) service that is required in order to keep warranty coverage...

References (for those unaware):
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/15/tesla-model-s-requires-600-annual-service-plan-to-keep-warranty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/transforming-automotive-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.teslamotors.com/service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer said:
Andy Palmer told us they are going to call all Leafs back in for another software update in spring. They are definitely going to flash the CM (Combination Meter), so I asked for the SoC meter to be included. There's no technical reason why they can't do this, but TEG is right, I don't expect them to do it. They probably would also have to issue new owner's manuals again if they did, so that is a big expense and a reason to not do it.
Why print a whole new manual if >99% of the text remains the same? How about a downloadable (PDF) "correction" page to add to the current owner's manual? Actual cost to Nissan would be minimal and owners would be happy.

Ingineer said:

The head unit is a different story, as apparently it requires a special SD card to be ordered by the dealer for it's firmware updates. There's probably no reason you couldn't flash the new code into the old head unit if they end up updating the Gen2 unit with an SD and you can convince the dealer to try it, but I don't expect this to happen.

Even though the Climate control hardware is likely the same, the software is not compatible due to the heat pump, so don't even ask. (The button layout is also different)

-Phil

what do you mean by the combination meter?
I assume by flash, you mean install.

you mean they can change the displays entirely?
put in different configurations?

when i see the dash in bright sunlight, there seems to be some embedded icons for certain warning and other lights. do you mean that all can be erased and they can put up an entirely new set of gauges and warning lights?

Ingineer said:
-Phil

I just don't get this. I understand there's an IP/copyright issue with the Nav unit, etc., but the displays (energy, etc.) are all software configurable grids. It's like "talk the talk, walk the walk": if they want to sell a progressive automobile, they need to at least offer progressive feature updates.

thankyouOB said:
when i see the dash in bright sunlight, there seems to be some embedded icons for certain warning and other lights. do you mean that all can be erased and they can put up an entirely new set of gauges and warning lights?

They cant do that.. but anywhere you see number displays that can be changed.

thankyouOB said:
you mean they can change the displays entirely?
put in different configurations?

The warning lights are physical LED's and are thus not configurable, but the logic and the dot-matrix panel in the middle are fully software driven.

-Phil

Stanton said:
I just don't get this. I understand there's an IP/copyright issue with the Nav unit, etc., but the displays (energy, etc.) are all software configurable grids. It's like "talk the talk, walk the walk": if they want to sell a progressive automobile, they need to at least offer progressive feature updates.
Yes, the automakers are struggling with rapid software update cycles like every other industry now uses. Tesla so far is the only one willing to push out critical system updates over the air, but they are a bred-and-born silicon valley company.

A few automakers have simply hired people like Microsoft (Ford) to handle the infotainment parts because they don't know how to do it on anything faster than a 2-3 year cycle.

Nissan hired Clarion to make the Head unit, so they depend on them to update code. Clarion's architecture apparently uses a bootloader that needs an SD card for flashing, instead of the normal Consult III+/Asyst Nissan system, so it's much more difficult.

-Phil

Back