Rex for the leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xado1

why is there nobody ,who can create and build a REX for the leaf?i would spent the space in the trunk und under the trunk.it needs just a small engine like the motorcycle engine from the BMW i3 and a generator with max.10-15kw.there are arrond 100.000 leafs with range problems.

the problem is,i got 15.600.-$ from gov for the leaf,and cant sell it for 3 years.
there is a special programm from the gov,and at beginning it was only for electric cars,2 month after i bought the leaf,the give the half of the amount also for cars with rex.

xado1 said:
the problem is,i got 15.600.-$ from gov for the leaf,and cant sell it for 3 years.
there is a special programm from the gov,and at beginning it was only for electric cars,2 month after i bought the leaf,the give the half of the amount also for cars with rex.
It would STILL be cheaper.

I don't think external range extenders will ever make sense. For me, I wouldn't want one because they are an extremely clunky way to add range. I love the idea of an internal range extender like the Volt or BMW i3.

Well, feel free to read about Ingineer's propane powered range extender trailer. It can either feed the battery his modified car directly while the car is moving, or charge any LEAF that has a QC port while stationary.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847&hilit=propane&start=84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't forget the fun of getting it emissions certified.

From the thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847&hilit=propane&start=110#p156359
Before more people keep asking to buy this from me, let me clarify that the Capstone Microturbine generator is a 30kW, new they cost at least $30k (Dollar a watt). So keep in mind the cost of this trailer will easily be more than the Leaf itself.

would you buy a rex for the leaf?
i am on the way to build this rex in my leaf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4AK2LKygQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there should be enough space in the trunk,and the engine will load directly to the batteries.
this solution can also warm up the batteries and helps to get more range when batteries lose there capacity.
if this works,it helps to keep my11 and my12 on the street.
as long there are no bigger batteries available,for me thats the only way between tesla and volt.
in the last weeks i had some situations,where i needed 10-20 miles more,or the target charger was out of order.
here in austria and germany the leaf charges only with 3KW,and it take more than 1 hour to get 15miles charge.

No, I would buy a Volt. When you are all done with this project my guess is that you will likely wish you bought a Volt unless you have endless spare time and don't mind messing up your LEAF. Let us know if you finish the project.

here in europe 80% of the cars are station wagon.the volt has not enough space for my dogs.before i drove a jaguar x-type SW and a porsche cayenne turbo.the cayenne costs 3.250$ tax a year,and gas costs 6,7$ per gallon.
i would buy the volt(opel ampera),if it looks like a insignia kombi.

http://www.mobile.de/modellverzeichnis/opel/insignia-tab-bild-ope_ins_09_kb_ecoflex_2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i need only 5-10kw .if i know that i need more miles,i start the engine and let it run until i reach the miles and then stop it.
there is no need for driving only with the rex.
in whole austria we have 5 QC charging stations,they are all in a range of 5 miles,and the leaf charges only with 3kw here in austria.

xado1 said:
and the leaf charges only with 3kw here in austria.

What was the SOC and outside temperature? If battery is almost full and/or outside temperature is extremely cold then that can be a reason. Try to charge at low SOC.

I'd just like to add... I would not be interested in an aftermarket range extender for the Leaf, especially if it were on a trailer. However, if Nissan themselves were to offer one as an option similar the i3, I'd be all for it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that given the option of a 150-mile range Leaf or a 75 mile range Leaf with Rex, I'd prefer the Rex option.

xado1 said:
i would like to build it inside.cut out the bottom of the trunk,and fit the rex in.

Sounds easy to implement and surly will have no impact on the cars handling. Please let us know when you have the project completed and running properly and safely:)

xado1 said:
...i need only 5-10kw .if i know that i need more miles,i start the engine and let it run until i reach the miles ...

Correct.

And where GM and even BMW got it wrong, IMO, was in oversizing the ICE to the point that it seriously degraded the BEV performance.

Yes, I'd be interested, and I think many others (particularly cold-climate residents) would also, if anyone offered one with the right features.

You may want to check the previous discussion below for the many examples.

The ideas below have been posted on many threads, by many members. But now that many now have had more BEV experience and winter is here (I may get to try out my LEAF in the snow for the first time here in North California, tomorrow) I thought maybe there would be interest in a dedicated thread.

I’m still not so ready to totally write off the ICE, as many on this site seem to be.

In fact, a true ICE ”range extender” for a BEV is not a bad Idea, It's just that current designs are all abysmal failures, from the point of energy efficiency and driver utility. Putting an ICE drivetrain in an EV, whether in series, parallel, or any other hybrid configuration, is not advisable, IMO. Invariably, you will get an overweight, overpriced, underperforming vehicle, like the Volt. It seems almost as ridiculous, to install an extremely expensive and heavy large battery pack (like the Tesla S long-range options) which is only occasionally required by the BEV driver.

A functional range extender would consist of:

A small displacement (200-600 CC) ICE generator, run at highest-efficiency rpm, to recharge the battery pack. Generator output would not be sufficient to drive the vehicle, just enough to extend the battery pack range to the next convenient recharge location.

It would not run on gasoline, but a less polluting, and more stable fuel, such as propane (easier refueling) or CNG (lower cost). 5 gallons of Propane, for example, would probably offer about 200 miles of range extention for a LEAF-sized BEV.

The fuel would also be available to a combustion cabin heater, the one use for which battery energy storage is particularly inefficient...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2011-12 LEAF is so optimally configured for a small displacement ICE/combustion heater range-extender (moderate kWh battery, plenty of space for the RE in the spare tire well, no heat pump and liquid heatant) I suspect Nissan itself may have considered the option, but omitted it for marketing purposes.

My preference would be to use that same space for more battery.
Somewhat expensive for Nissan to add REX due to emission controls and related warranty.

Back