Repeated ground faults from evse

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you see the name on the EVSE in the pic he posted? I've never even heard of it!
I also avoid batteries made in China (even my 12v Lithium is not China-based), and there is a difference between "made in China" and "made in Taiwan" (or other parts of Asia).
There is or was good reason to avoid them. They were often made using outdated tech but marketed as not. This isn’t a battery though. My big worry is that it will have Chinese government malware on it, so I’m more than a bit leery of the smart-device features. I avoid smart devices in general. The concept of someone running a DHCP attack using y cat box creeps me out. I went so far as to get the NON-smart version of my automated cat box even though i had to buy an earlier version. Remember, the cloud is just someone else’s computer. Ever notice how cheap it is to get a smart doorbell but how expensive it is to get one that DOESN’T USE the cloud? Gonna have as little to do with the cloud as i can thankyouverymuch. I’ve got a real firewall and EVERTYTHING goes through it, not directly to anything.

Last edited:
This thread has gone off topic big time! You guys might consider starting a new thread on another site :)
No, still talking about the same thing. I just ordered a Chinese smart device to fix it because it was a third the price of the competition. May not be able to use its smart features though making it much less of a bargain.

Last edited:
Bomb, I don't have three phase here so my power is 240, but from what I can see, you should have no problem with that aftermarket unit on 208. There is a US based place you can call if you do have a problem. Mine (Primecom) claims any voltage between 90-240 will work.

Look up some of the old posts by Phil [@ingineer] with pictures inside the EVSE. There are internal checks for ground fault and zero differential current sense. i suspect the phase difference of 208 vs 240 causes it to not pass an internal check.

Look up some of the old posts by Phil [@ingineer] with pictures inside the EVSE. There are internal checks for ground fault and zero differential current sense. i suspect the phase difference of 208 vs 240 causes it to not pass an internal check.
Bombastinator2 said that the location originally worked fine until the plug was turned over. After the plug was rotated, the problem started happening. Thus, the phase and voltage would be the same in both instances. Is this correct?

Yep you're right. i remember asking him to pull the cover and inspect--likely a wire has pulled out from the rotation.

Back