Reduced mileage on current charges

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

2018 SL
In the warm weather I have been fully charging and getting between 150-160 miles range.
Now the weather is colder, in the 30’s in the NY area and I am getting 130 miles on a full range charge. That is a 10% reduction.
I checked the battery cells, says I have all 12 of them.
Is this a normal reduction?

yep. i expect a solid 15-20% reduction from summer to the peak of the mild winter in the PNW. harsh winters can experience a 40% reduction in range.

This is perfectly normal, Baltneu. Winter driving uses more power for several reasons: use of electric heat, higher tire rolling resistance, batteries performing with less efficiency...

The range estimator is better in the 2018+ Leafs, but it is still guessing.

130 miles of range in the winter must be sooooo nice ;) I'm lucky to get 65 miles with my 11 bar 2013 SV at this time of year, and Vancouver is mild right now.

estomax said:
yep. i expect a solid 15-20% reduction from summer to the peak of the mild winter in the PNW. harsh winters can experience a 40% reduction in range.

When it gets really cold, zero-ish, 40% is a safe percentage reduction of miles. AND any fast (i.e. DC) charging you do will be slower and stop sooner.

Thanks all, will have to live with the reduced mileage in the winter. Also with fewer cars on the road now, the speed does get up there and that reduces the mileage.

Just measured the last 5 days on normal winter driving. 100% to 54% (dash) in ~32F on average weather. Heat on the entire time and a solid 60+ minutes of heat parked for an event and separately waiting for food. 75% local (45mph and under) 25% (55-70mph) highway. 88 miles driven. This is our SV+ with SoH at 93.4%

Not too bad.

My S+ is sitting at 4.9 miles/kWh for the month which includes a good chunk of freeway driving...but I dont run heat until it gets much colder. I drove to and from the city this week and efficiency was pretty good given the temps.

Cars are both garaged, which has been keeping battery temps in low to mid 50s which helps considerably.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Just measured the last 5 days on normal winter driving. 100% to 54% (dash) in ~32F on average weather. Heat on the entire time and a solid 60+ minutes of heat parked for an event and separately waiting for food. 75% local (45mph and under) 25% (55-70mph) highway. 88 miles driven. This is our SV+ with SoH at 93.4%
Saw this along with your profile delivery date and thought: impossible (with a Gen 1).
Once I read your signature, I realized this is for a Gen 2 (2019) model.

Baltneu said:
2018 SL
In the warm weather I have been fully charging and getting between 150-160 miles range.
Now the weather is colder, in the 30’s in the NY area and I am getting 130 miles on a full range charge. That is a 10% reduction.
I checked the battery cells, says I have all 12 of them.
Is this a normal reduction?

So you are correlating degradation with winter? You need to match your summer's miles/kwh rating then see what the difference in range is. Betting it won't be much. There is a laundry list of why your car's "guesstimate" is different and what you should do is reset your trip computer every day for a month. You would be surprised at the range of efficiency you will see despite "driving the same going the same places"

Back