Received a letter from the IRS denying our $7,500 tax credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRPremack

We bought our Nissan Leaf in March of 2012. We completed form 8936 and included it with our tax return. We had no other tax credits. We wanted to know if anyone else is being denied the credit?

PRPremack said:
We bought our Nissan Leaf in March of 2012. We completed form 8936 and included it with our tax return. We had no other tax credits. We wanted to know if anyone else is being denied the credit?
Are you a conservative? That would explain it :lol:

What instructions or requests did they give you in the letter? Was it just a matter of documentation? My accountant simply included a copy of my bill of sale, which showed the VIN number, and I had no issues. As long as you had a $7500+ tax burden last year, you should get the tax credit. Fight it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
PRPremack said:
Are you a conservative? That would explain it :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

not to seem to be telling the OP he shouldn't have purchased, but one big reason why many people lease is that the tax deals are applied to the price of the deal and the dealer has the problem of applying for and receiving the tax credit

PRPremack said:

not enuff information here to know or conclude or help.

ml194152 said:
You are not eligible for the EV tax credit if you are rich enough to have to pay the alternative tax. :D
If you are talking about the alternative minimum tax, that isn't necessarily true. The alternative minimum tax may partially cut into, or completely eliminate your EV tax credit. It all depends.

Stoaty said:
If you are talking about the alternative minimum tax, that isn't necessarily true. The alternative minimum tax may partially cut into, or completely eliminate your EV tax credit. It all depends.

it depends on what?
in the years that I got caught up by the AMT it meant that I lost the ability to use deductions to offset liabilities.

Stoaty said:
ml194152 said:
You are not eligible for the EV tax credit if you are rich enough to have to pay the alternative tax. :D

It will make it hard or impossible to get the credit for the charger, but AMT does not affect the vehicle credit.

apvbguy said:
not to seem to be telling the OP he shouldn't have purchased, but one big reason why many people lease is that the tax deals are applied to the price of the deal and the dealer has the problem of applying for and receiving the tax credit
Just a quibble, but the dealer has nothing to do with it. If you lease with Nissan financing it is Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation which owns the car and gets the $7500 tax credit. It doesn't matter, since NMAC passes the credit on to you.

To PRPremack, do read through the long thread surfingslovak pointed you to. Unless your circumstance is unusual you should eventually get the credit, though the horror stories there show how hard some people had to fight and how long they had to wait. Learn from their experiences.

Ray

Purchased my leaf in April, 2012. E-filed using TurboTax this April. Got my refund based on $7,500 credit in about three weeks. Assuming you qualify, and completed the form correctly, you should get the credit. Based on reports filed on this forum, 2012 tax year filings are going much smoother than 2011. there is another thread on 2012 filers.

At any rate, you or your CPA should call IRS for an explaination.

The service does make mistakes. It's annoying, and frustrating to have to fight for and wait for something you're eligible for, but if you are indeed eligible, you will receive your credit.

Every denial letter the IRS sends includes an explanation and an appeal process. You must follow the appeal process to the letter, and you may have to document them to death to show them why you are right and they are wrong.

Been there, done that. Sorry it happened to you.

planet4ever said:
apvbguy said:
Just a quibble, but the dealer has nothing to do with it. If you lease with Nissan financing it is Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation which owns the car and gets the $7500 tax credit. It doesn't matter, since NMAC passes the credit on to you.
sorry I wasn't more specific, you are correct the dealership is only acting as an agent for NMAC

Back