Rear-ended... need help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
thankyouOB said:
it is disturbing to see posters turn this site and, in particular, this post about car accidents into a home for racist slurs.
Thanks, that needed saying. :)

right on.
this guy was a knucklehead. he told me and the CHP that he wasn't paying attention. That is a shitty move. It cost me and pisses me off that there are so many folks, like him, driving dangerous machines with no appreciation for the possible consequences. but he had insurance.

He f**ed up, and we both are paying for it.
I would say that the economic consequences to him are going to be worse than for me, albeit I deserve to have no consequences. but it will cost me in time and money, and I can only hope the Leaf, which I adore, will not be compromised.

For him, I can prolly figure he has lost his wheels and will have trouble getting to work. Lesson learned?
I was an idiot when I was 23, too.

Train said:
it is disturbing to see posters turn this site and, in particular, this post about car accidents into a home for racist slurs.

Racist slurs? :roll: Oh Please.
I think the characterization is accurate. Uninsured drivers come in all colors, ethnic backgrounds and immigration status. Beyond that, you are getting into the realm of prejudice:

noun: unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group

Hm... I was feeling that all Leaf owners were enthusiastically united... now I feel that my leaf is getting prejudiced because the red color... People, it was born that way by no fault of its own (it was totally my fault)! Not all Leafs are made to be blue...

davewill said:
thankyouOB said:

UkrainianKozak said:
Hm... I was feeling that all Leaf owners were enthusiastically united... now I feel that my leaf is getting prejudiced because the red color... People, it was born that way by no fault of its own (it was totally my fault)! Not all Leafs are made to be blue...

Right on brother! My LEAF is red too! :mrgreen:

davewill said:
thankyouOB said:

as long as I was having the Leaf in for repairs, I ordered the Fiamme horns and will have them installed.
turning a crash into an opportunity.

claims folks will assess what the repair costs will be and I can get a pic of the rear-end damage to post next week.

I may be obtuse, but i am not sure what the above posters are trying to say about prejudice.
train seems to have deleted his/her post.

ksnogas2112 said:
Was there any battery damage that could lead to an issue like we saw reported on the Volt's that were totaled and not drained correctly? Last time (only) time I was rear ended the impact shorted out the acid battery and that was significantly less damage to the body than what you have.

The issue with the Volt was unique because of what they did with the car after the crash. They did not remove the batteries and the Volt's batteries are not sealed. The top of the batteries are covered with plastic. This allowed over time rain exposure to cause the issue they had. In most cases the car after an accident would have the battery pack salvaged and the car crushed.

My first accident in 15 years happened this winter. A lady hit my car, "T-boned" my driver door. She looked at me, backed up and took off. I followed, called the cops and saw her arrested. No insurance, no driver license and this was her second accident. The cop told me about a month before she had a hit and run, the person she hit reported the plate number when she took off. I went to court, they fined her, but ICE didn't deport her. Go figure...

We are one of the few sates (Washington State) that still let illegals get licenses. It shows on our roads. Another person in our office got hit by one of these non-insured illegals driving a lawn care truck.

I now have a camera system in my car's to record any future accidents.

Article: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/07/15/1746383/new-wa-driver-license-rules-may.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They made it harder for those out of state illegals to come and get a license and then go back...but we have soooo many illegals with licenses getting into accidents, but no insurance.

fbarbat said:
thankyouOB said:
add me to the rear-ended club. 405 HOV lane at 50 mph slowing to 0. Other driver admitted to CHP he was distracted and didnt notice that the lane was stopped after it slowed fast.
No photo.
I will fill folks in.
The rear bumper, hatch and under-body cover are toast. I dont think the side panels were touched.
the reinforcement, shock-abosrbing bar has a big ding.
Since is been a week from my accident and I still don't have an estimate for the repairs, I would recommend you to make sure the person assigned for your claim knows and understands this is an electric car... In my case, the AAA guy sent out a regular "adjuster" to the body shop to find out that this is been considered a "technical lose" and they have specialized adjusters to handle that... Another couple days wasted because of that... And that on top of the holiday weekend when everyone was closed... :(

Just got my estimate for the repairs... $7,300...!!! This is just ridiculous....

Mine looks allot like yours, and the estimate is 8k.

thank the gods that the other guy is at fault. you hardly ever lose an I-was-rear-ended claim.

thankyouOB said:
Mine looks allot like yours, and the estimate is 8k.

thank the gods that the other guy is at fault. you hardly ever lose an I-was-rear-ended claim.
Estimated completion date.... 7/3/2012... That's 40 days from the accident...!!!!

the other company accepted responsibility. I am hoping for a good outcome when they finish straightening the uni-body fit.

my only other issues are how fast it gets done, and whether it is wise to remove the battery and key wiring for the paint oven.

(thanks to those who gave me pats on the slur issue.)

It seems to me that references to illegal or undocumented people is only a racial "slur" if you consider the reference to "people" a racial slur... Which it might well be. I did not see any races mentioned, but I could have missed the reference.

LTLFTcomposite said:
TangoKilo said:
If I got rear-ended, it would be simple. The offending driver would be the new owner of my 2011 LEAF and I would get myself a new one with heated seats... :cool:

You obviously don't live in S FL, where the offending driver often has no insurance or assets, is here illegally, and may not even speak English, leaving you to deal with the situation through your own insurance company and absorb your own collision deductible.

Gary,
I am referring to non sequitur comments such as the one above, as well as a response later that referenced North Mexico for California.
Surely, you get the point.

As I said in an earlier post, my car was hit on the freeway by an old Jetta beater, with two brown-skinned young men inside.
i can guess the assumptions some would make about that.
the driver, however, had AAA insurance, spoke clearly, lives a few miles from me and immediately admitted that he wasnt paying attention before he rear-ended my car.

Cant we all get along on this forum without introducing ethnic and racial slurs to a discussion about car accidents??? or apologizing for them?
is that so hard?

Back