Rear-ended... need help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're welcome. Sorry, didn't read closely enough to figure you'd be locked in at this point. I'm sure it will be fine. Just keep on top of them. Since your Leaf is still so new and the other guy is responsible for making you whole, make sure you get OEM parts and OEM-quality work. :cool:

add me to the rear-ended club. 405 HOV lane at 50 mph slowing to 0. Other driver admitted to CHP he was distracted and didnt notice that the lane was stopped after it slowed fast.
No photo.
I will fill folks in.
The rear bumper, hatch and under-body cover are toast. I dont think the side panels were touched.
the reinforcement, shock-abosrbing bar has a big ding.

I can't help but notice that the 'typical' accident report on Tesla forums is a Roadster rear-ending some other vehicle. For the LEAF forums, it is a LEAF being rear-ended. I think this speaks to the fact that the Roadster has acceleration that needs to be used carefully, and the LEAF has powerful brakes.

I wonder if there is any issue with the LEAF brake lights being hard to notice? They look OK to me, but when you see this many reports of rear-end accidents you wonder if the cars that hit the LEAF had any trouble seeing that the LEAF was slowing down.

I've been wondering if it's people trying to get close enough to read the name of the vehicle, or trying to read the "World Car of the Year" sticker, assuming it was left on. I frequently see curious people in my rear-view mirror, trying to figure out what I'm driving.

I would like to see a correlation between the color of the Leaf and its likelihood of being rear ended. I want my Leaf in school bus yellow!

thankyouOB said:
add me to the rear-ended club. 405 HOV lane at 50 mph slowing to 0. Other driver admitted to CHP he was distracted and didnt notice that the lane was stopped after it slowed fast.
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully no one was injured.

I must say I find your post from a couple of days ago in the brake light thread to be somewhat prescient here:
thankyouOB said:
I suppose in this day and age we might want to have added warnings for all those distracted drivers.

TEG said:
I can't help but notice that the 'typical' accident report on Tesla forums is a Roadster rear-ending some other vehicle. For the LEAF forums, it is a LEAF being rear-ended. I think this speaks to the fact that the Roadster has acceleration that needs to be used carefully, and the LEAF has powerful brakes.

I wonder if there is any issue with the LEAF brake lights being hard to notice? They look OK to me, but when you see this many reports of rear-end accidents you wonder if the cars that hit the LEAF had any trouble seeing that the LEAF was slowing down.

I just hope it isn't from "lame" Leaf owners driving slow on the highway to try to extend their range. No evidence of that in the cases in this thread!

Cheezmo said:
TEG said:

I just hope it isn't from "lame" Leaf owners driving slow on the highway to try to extend their range. No evidence of that in the cases in this thread!

"Lame"???? I hope this LEAF community can avoid name-calling... Maybe I'm just misunderstanding things...
I commute 70 miles per day to work and drive at 90-95% of the posted freeway speeds and stay to the right where possible. If I got rear-ended, it would be simple. The offending driver would be the new owner of my 2011 LEAF and I would get myself a new one with heated seats... :cool:

thankyouOB said:
No photo.
I will fill folks in.
The rear bumper, hatch and under-body cover are toast. I dont think the side panels were touched.
the reinforcement, shock-abosrbing bar has a big ding.
Since is been a week from my accident and I still don't have an estimate for the repairs, I would recommend you to make sure the person assigned for your claim knows and understands this is an electric car... In my case, the AAA guy sent out a regular "adjuster" to the body shop to find out that this is been considered a "technical lose" and they have specialized adjusters to handle that... Another couple days wasted because of that... And that on top of the holiday weekend when everyone was closed... :(

NYLEAF said:
I've been wondering if it's people trying to get close enough to read the name of the vehicle, or trying to read the "World Car of the Year" sticker, assuming it was left on. I frequently see curious people in my rear-view mirror, trying to figure out what I'm driving.
Just remove the sticker.... :)

TangoKilo said:
If I got rear-ended, it would be simple. The offending driver would be the new owner of my 2011 LEAF and I would get myself a new one with heated seats... :cool:

You obviously don't live in S FL, where the offending driver often has no insurance or assets, is here illegally, and may not even speak English, leaving you to deal with the situation through your own insurance company and absorb your own collision deductible.

Herm said:
I would like to see a correlation between the color of the Leaf and its likelihood of being rear ended. I want my Leaf in school bus yellow!

New mod proposal:
Replace side mirror with retractable Stop sign. If you see car approaching at high rate of speed, pull out the sign and start waiving it.

Attachments

• NissanStop.jpg
    NissanStop.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 83
ArrowBanner_inUse(3).gif

LTLFTcomposite said:
TangoKilo said:
If I got rear-ended, it would be simple. The offending driver would be the new owner of my 2011 LEAF and I would get myself a new one with heated seats... :cool:

You obviously don't live in S FL, where the offending driver often has no insurance or assets, is here illegally, and may not even speak English, leaving you to deal with the situation through your own insurance company and absorb your own collision deductible.

Do you really think we don't have that with an international border that doesn't require swimming? Just walk across?

Or anywhere in California, or as it is better known, North Mexico...

TangoKilo said:

it is disturbing to see posters turn this site and, in particular, this post about car accidents into a home for racist slurs.

I was rear-ended by a 23-year-old mexican-american driver yesterday. he was driving a beat up 1990 jetta on the freeway with his buddy. they were going home from work.
he had insurance, a driver's license. we exchanged information. I was able to drive the Leaf away and it needs repairs. His car was fully disabled.

I shudder to think of the assumptions some posters would have made about this accident without knowing any of the facts.

it is disturbing to see posters turn this site and, in particular, this post about car accidents into a home for racist slurs.

Racist slurs? :roll: Oh Please.

Back