Rear-ended... need help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbarbat

Just got rear ended few hours ago… :cry:Any recommendations as far as where to take the car to properly and safely be repaired? I do live in Fullerton, CA. Please see picture attached… We are so devastated…and very concerned… Thanks!

487346_3955782343898_1560394136_3242755_840845129_n.jpg

So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope that everyone was okay. It is such a shock, as Ii well remember from the last time it happened to me.

I'd contact your dealer first, after your insurer, of course. The LEAF must have its batteries removed, as far as I know, if it is going to be placed in a high temperature paint booth. If it were just a bumper replacement, that wouldn't be an issue, but since you have actual body damage, you'll need to be careful about the batteries.

Everyone OK... thanks... We called the dealer and they showed no interest on "helping"... Tustin Nissan... They said to contact the insurance and work with them. I specifically asked about any specific requirements if the car is been leased... they said no, unless needs to be "totalled" and then we need to involved Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation as actual owner. I don't think this would be the case though. I will call them in the morning again to talk to someone else ... Not sure if the "desk Manager" knew much about this topic...However, reading many blogs here I'm just trying to find a place where I can take the car to be properly repaired, someone really authorized to repair these cars. If anyone knows and can recommend one I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Very sorry to hear about this. Most unfortunate. The most important thing, by far, is that everyone is OK. You can always get another Leaf.

The damage doesn't look so bad but you never know until you get the quote. If the frame is bent then it's probably totaled. Once you get the quote how to proceed should be much clearer. Since you're leasing you'll be happy to know that the standard Nissan lease has GAP insurance so you should be covered there. Usually your insurance policy covers a rental car for some period so at least you should have some "paid for" wheels.

Connell Nissan on Harbor (about a mile south of 405)
in Costa Mesa is a center of LEAF-competence in the area.

I suggest calling them for advice and body-shop references.

I will check with the dealer in Costa Mesa tomorrow! Thanks! Also I will most likely have to follow up closely with the other guy's insurance...that's right...
Do you know if any car rental places around here offers Leaf for renting??

Sorry to hear about your accident. If you have a quality insurer yourself, absolutely no need to deal with the other driver's insurance company - that's what you pay YOUR insurer to do. They should be your advocate in this type of situation.

Sorry to hear about the accident...If you use a Nissan body shop, they should know this. But another shop may not...During the repair process, if they are going to put the car into a paint booth and "bake" it to dry a painted area, Nissan recommends that the battery and high voltage wiring be removed from the car. It seems like most of the repairs we've seen so far have been able to be completed without baking, but it doesn't hurt for you to bring it up....

Glad everyone is ok but it's not really drivable is it? Was there any battery damage that could lead to an issue like we saw reported on the Volt's that were totaled and not drained correctly? Last time (only) time I was rear ended the impact shorted out the acid battery and that was significantly less damage to the body than what you have.

Looks like a heck of a rear ending. Bumper and hatch look damage but I can't tell by the photo if the rear quarter panels were damaged.

Please do keep us informed as to what happens with the repair costs and the method you end up taking for the repairs.

Since the bumper is toast, you'll want to get right on getting replacement HOV stickers. It would be a shame to wait any longer than you have to for them.

garygid said:
Connell Nissan on Harbor (about a mile south of 405)
in Costa Mesa is a center of LEAF-competence in the area.

I suggest calling them for advice and body-shop references.

Gary, I called them up and they referred me to a body shop they are working with. Euro American Collision Center. However, they are not getting involved themselves...

ksnogas2112 said:
Was there any battery damage that could lead to an issue like we saw reported on the Volt's that were totaled and not drained correctly?

The Volt battery fire was from the 'battery coolant' leaking out and shorting the battery pack. The LEAF doesn't have any battery pack liquid cooling that could short out the batteries and cause a fire.

Took the car to the recommended Euro American Collision Center which is working with the Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa. I asked them to remove the HOV stickers and they did it right away, took 5 minutes only, hitting up from the other side of the bumper. Need to wait till Tuesday for anything to happen as everyone closed for the following 3 days...

Attachments

• 2012-05-25_17-13-14_886_1.jpg
    2012-05-25_17-13-14_886_1.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 83
I got rear ended in my leaf recently.
Suggest the high-end insurance co, such as Calibur collision.
Demand a battery inspection by the dealer and alignmnet as part of the service. They have to oblidge. I'll post a pic of mine here when I find them. My accident was not more on the quarterpanel and rear. Car is fine today. Looks like your batteries and electronics survived just fine.

Sorry to hear of your accident. It's never fun.

As for Leaf rentals, Connell Nissan at one time was renting out Leafs and had a discount for MNL members and/or Facebook 'friends'. If you haven't already, you may want to ask them if the discount still applies and if a Leaf would be available for long-term rentals(*). Wouldn't be the same as driving your "Leaf Now", but it'd be as close as it gets.

Also, I would 2nd the recommendation for Caliber Collision Centers, especially if the work is being done through insurance. Seeing as yours was a rear ender, I take it their insurance will be picking up the bill. We've used Caliber twice through insurance work, and once for non-insurance work (though not from shops below). They did quality work each time.

Looks like the near-to-you, freeway close Anaheim Caliber Collision has pretty 'stellar' reviews on yelp.

Even their Costa Mesa shop has solid reviews.

The Euro American Collision Center in Costa Mesa has mixed reviews.

EDIT: (*) In hindsight, maybe not for as long as you may need it since they probably just do it for extended test-drives. It wouldn't hurt to ask, though.

JPVLeaf said:
Sorry to hear of your accident. It's never fun.

As for Leaf rentals, Connell Nissan at one time was renting out Leafs and had a discount for MNL members and/or Facebook 'friends'. If you haven't already, you may want to ask them if the discount still applies and if a Leaf would be available for long-term rentals(*). Wouldn't be the same as driving your "Leaf Now", but it'd be as close as it gets.

Also, I would 2nd the recommendation for Caliber Collision Centers, especially if the work is being done through insurance. Seeing as yours was a rear ender, I take it their insurance will be picking up the bill. We've used Caliber twice through insurance work, and once for non-insurance work (though not from shops below). They did quality work each time.

Looks like the near-to-you, freeway close Anaheim Caliber Collision has pretty 'stellar' reviews on yelp.

Even their Costa Mesa shop has solid reviews.

The Euro American Collision Center in Costa Mesa has mixed reviews.

EDIT: (*) In hindsight, maybe not for as long as you may need it since they probably just do it for extended test-drives. It wouldn't hurt to ask, though.
Thanks for your feedback. I saw the mixed reviews for Euro American Collision but at the time i had to make the decision I didn't know about the Caliber... Also I'm working down in Irvine and Costa Mesa would be more convenient... I called them up and they've done work on few Leafs so far... I hope everything will be OK...

Back