Re: Lost order - start over -REDEMPTION!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

I just finished talking to Nissan CS. They have a record of my original order but when I upgraded from SV to SL+QC in February (at the urging of Nissan CS due to the EV Project) and received repeated assurances the upgrade order was placed and the car was in manufacture, in fact my order change never made it to production. They are now trying to find me a car they can reallocate, but they confirmed they are only looking at orphans and dealer demos, all of which appear to be already designated for someone else or are the wrong model for me. A policy decision has been made by Nissan that they will not reallocate a car ordered by someone else who is still intending to buy it, even if that person has not been notified of a delivery date or VIN. They are not optimistic that they can find me one, so the bottom line is they are going to have to put in a new order for me now as soon as new orders are permitted so that puts me in with the people who are ordering in May. It has been 1 year since I reserved and 7 months to the day since I ordered and it looks like I won't get my car until next year. I spent two years waiting for an Aptera that never appeared and this nightmare is happening all over again. CS said Nissan knows what caused the allocation ordering mess and it won't happen again, they assure me, but they are not explaining how it happened even to the CS leadership group. Officially my dashboard still says Jone 2011 delivery, but they admit that refers to the SV that I originally ordered. There is no delivery date for an SL for me.

Rat said:
I just finished talking to Nissan CS. They have a record of my original order but when I upgraded from SV to SL+QC in February (at the urging of Nissan CS due to the EV Project) and received repeated assurances the upgrade order was placed and the car was in manufacture, in fact my order change never made it to production. They are now trying to find me a car they can reallocate, but they confirmed they are only looking at orphans and dealer demos, all of which appear to be already designated for someone else or are the wrong model for me. A policy decision has been made by Nissan that they will not reallocate a car ordered by someone else who is still intending to buy it, even if that person has not been notified of a delivery date or VIN. They are not optimistic that they can find me one, so the bottom line is they are going to have to put in a new order for me now as soon as new orders are permitted so that puts me in with the people who are ordering in May. It has been 1 year since I reserved and 7 months to the day since I ordered and it looks like I won't get my car until next year. I spent two years waiting for an Aptera that never appeared and this nightmare is happening all over again. CS said Nissan knows what caused the allocation ordering mess and it won't happen again, they assure me, but they are not explaining how it happened even to the CS leadership group. Officially my dashboard still says Jone 2011 delivery, but they admit that refers to the SV that I originally ordered. There is no delivery date for an SL for me.

I have only two words of comment on this: GOOD GRIEF! :roll:

Rat said:
A policy decision has been made by Nissan that they will not reallocate a car ordered by someone else who is still intending to buy it, even if that person has not been notified of a delivery date or VIN.
This is just plain WRONG. I can understand that they wouldn't want to take away a VIN or even a "week of" delivery date, but that is ridiculous. They screwed up, they know it, and the inconvenience to the rest of the crowd would be lost in the noise of rapidly and randomly shifting delivery dates. Come on Nissan, make good on your mess! :evil:

TRONZ said:
That sucks!

That ROYALLY sucks. Nissan could slip an order in the production line right now for your car if they really wanted to, but that would mean a lot of manual effort in an otherwise supposedly automated system (albeit one that already has a lot of problems).

MOST unsatisfactory.

Why do you assume you won't get a car until 2012?
You are in one of the "chosen 6" states, and my understanding is those who go into the reservation system in May will most likely get a car in 2011.
Am I missing something?

svBackstreets said:
>>>Delivery: April -> Pending -> June -> "We have no car for you. We screwed up."

I am starting to have a very bad flashback.... but then they found it. Whew!

Rat said:
Officially my dashboard still says Jone 2011 delivery, but they admit that refers to the SV that I originally ordered. There is no delivery date for an SL for me.
For me, if getting an SL for the EV project meant that long a wait, I'd just forget about the EV project and take delivery of the SV originally ordered...

tps said:
Rat said:
Officially my dashboard still says June 2011 delivery, but they admit that refers to the SV that I originally ordered. There is no delivery date for an SL for me.
For me, if getting an SL for the EV project meant that long a wait, I'd just forget about the EV project and take delivery of the SV originally ordered...
I've already been rejected for the EV Project so that's not the issue. I now want the fast charge port because the EV Project coming to the Bay Area means there will be quick charge stations much faster than I originally anticipated, and seeing how popular the SL+QC/SL-e is, I think now that I'll get the extra money back on resale eventually anyway. No one is going to want the SL, is my guess. Plus the backup camera is getting rave reviews on the SL. I decided I want the SL anyway.

As for why do I think 2012 - it took from April 2010 to now to get to this point of where my order is just going in. I assume it will take just as long to start over from now. Nissan's statements (notice I don't say "promises") that buyers now should expect to get a car in 2011 don't strike me as any more credible than their statements that:
1) Buyers will get their cars in the sequence ordered
2) All buyers will get their cars in 3 - 7 months
3) Your car is going on the production line Feb. 4 (Zach of Nissan CS)
4) If you upgrade to the SL now (Feb. 2) it will not delay your deliver date (Zach)
5) Your upgrade order has been put in to Nissan and you will get the SL (Nissan CS live chat 2/4)
6) Your car is now in production (Nissan CS 2/4/11)
7) Your dashboard still shows SV but don't worry that's just because changes aren't shown there, but we have a record of the upgrade and you will get the SL upgrade (CS about Feb. 2/9/11 and again around 2/20/11)
8) I'll call you next week hopefully with a resolution to your problem (Nissan CS "Mr. X" on 4/23/11)
9) [No call from Mr. X so I called him yesterday] Gee, no one has gotten in touch with me about this problem. We screwed up. [Finally a credible statement] I'll call you back before the end of the day.
10) [No call so I called again today] Mr. X is in a meeting but he'll call back within an hour. [No call so I call back] Mr. X is gone for the day. [Tell him I'm very upset.]
11) We have been trying but cars to reallocate are few and far between .. etc. (and the rest of the substance of the original post). [Mr. Y calling back for Mr. X.]

So if you believe those ordering today will get their cars in 2011... well you see the glass as 3/4 full, I guess. I would call you a salesman's dream.

Edited 4/30 - I meant I decided I want the SL, not SV. Sorry for any confusion.

OK, that tears it! And I thought I had it bad. Totally, totally, insane, Rat.

One moral I'm going to take from your tragic epic: I'll grab the first one I can get my hands on, even if it's called an SW-QVC.
Absolutely no more bitching from me.

Ray

I left out one other "assurance": "Your car is in the port and you should have it as soon as the software upgrade is made, in about two weeks." [Turned out to be an SV he was referring to, one that was originally designated for someone else who upgraded. He upgraded successfully and his SV was reallocated to me except I don't want the SV now.] Also the CS guy told me I was not the only person in this situation, so apparently I am competing with an unknown number of people for any orphan, etc. that becomes available.

I would suggest that people use the online chat and copy the conversations as a record, if there is an issue and it is documented it may help move things along faster. At the very least it's a good thing to paste into the customer satisfaction surveys if you ever get a car.

Rat said:
I left out one other "assurance": "Your car is in the port and you should have it as soon as the software upgrade is made, in about two weeks." [Turned out to be an SV he was referring to, one that was originally designated for someone else who upgraded. He upgraded successfully and his SV was reallocated to me except I don't want the SV now.] Also the CS guy told me I was not the only person in this situation, so apparently I am competing with an unknown number of people for any orphan, etc. that becomes available.
Sounds as if it's your decision: take the SV (which is what you originally ordered) which you can get quickly, or wait quite a while to get an SL. At least you have options to get a LEAF; some of us don't even have the option to order yet.

tps said:
Rat said:
Sounds as if it's your decision: take the SV (which is what you originally ordered) which you can get quickly, or wait quite a while to get an SL. At least you have options to get a LEAF; some of us don't even have the option to order yet.
This may be a fair point, I suppose, but it still doesn't explain why Nissan is putting someone back at the end of the line because they (Nissan) screwed up. There is no reason they can't redirect a blue SL sitting in the port or on a ship to me. Whoever it was destined for (i.e. a January or later order) can remain in Pending until the next one. It is NOT even clear to me that I can have that SV they mentioned last week. It was not the one originally designated for me, but was reallocated as an orphan and when I told CS that I had upgraded my order to an SL it may have since been reallocated to someone else or used as a demo or sold off the floor. I've never been given my own original VIN and I don't actually know if any car was manufactured based on my order. It may have been accidentally deleted altogether instead of upgraded back in February. Nobody is saying exactly how this happened or what will happen. At this point I'm just hoping for an orphan. I did tell them I would consider a different color, although when you custom order a car and wait a year for it, it seems to me you should get the color and model you want - or at least ordered. It was Nissan's urging that got me to change. Both Mr. X and Mr. Y said to me "You didn't do anything wrong. We screwed up." And I am keeping a transcript of the Live Chats.

Rat said:
Whoever it was destined for (i.e. a January or later order) can remain in Pending until the next one.
The problem is that Nissan is so screwed up that it won't be a car from a Jan or later order it would be a car from a Sept-Dec. order. All the Jan and later orders are either getting their cars now or are getting their VINs. Nissan CS told me today that all the Jan and later orders not yet already delivered are already assigned a manufacture date (not that any customer or even CS can see them), and are going through the system and then they'll get to the Sept-Dec. orders that do not yet have a manufacture date or VIN. The reason, Nissan has decided it doesn't want to upset any more customers so it isn't going to change anything after the fact.

My wife and I are getting ever closer to giving up and going to buy a Volt (which are now generally available at MSRP with perhaps a couple week wait).

LALeaf said:
All the Jan and later orders are either getting their cars now or are getting their VINs. Nissan CS told me today that all the Jan and later orders not yet already delivered are already assigned a manufacture date (not that any customer or even CS can see them), and are going through the system and then they'll get to the Sept-Dec. orders that do not yet have a manufacture date or VIN. The reason, Nissan has decided it doesn't want to upset any more customers so it isn't going to change anything after the fact.

So let me see if I have this straight. . . Nissan screws up by allowing Jan/Feb 2011 orders to get VINS ahead of 2010 orders. They don't want to upset these "new" customers so they decide to leave things as they are. But it gets better. Even though they now know of their screw up, they have decided to assign even more VINS to 2011 orders? And let them get their cars ahead of 2010 orders?

Unbelievable!

This is an incredibly bad story.
See my separate commentary in similar topic:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3421&p=86850#p86850
The order SNAFU apparently occurred in the http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/myAccount reservation / ordering system. Probably programming error as discussed in other MNL topics.
But once a vehicle has been ordered in the Nissan vehicle manufacturing system for a customer, Nissan was either unable or unwilling to reallocate those vehicles, even though the orders were erroneously entered into the vehicle manufacturing system several months ahead of orders placed in the http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/myAccount reservation / ordering system.
I speculate that they might have been reluctant to reallocate those vehicles because the dealer probably had access to the vehicle having been ordered in the vehicle manufacturing system and might have advised the customer of that, although it appears that Customer Support did not have access to this information. But hardly anyone had recognized there were two systems, and even to this point in time very few people have asked their dealer for the four pieces of information the spreadsheet has from the dealer. See my separate post at:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1949&p=86445#p86445
But since most of the customers that placed orders in January and early February received no delivery information other than Pending, and had not been notified by dealers of the vehicles having been ordered in the vehicle manufacturing system, Nissan would have been much smarter to have reassigned those orders to the earlier Sept. to Dec. orders.
And in Rat's case they made a second error and failed to revise the http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/myAccount reservation / ordering system from SV to SL +QC. So instead the SV got ordered in the vehicle manufacturing system, and mistake wasn't recognized till April.
I hope they have at least now got his SL ordered in the vehicle manufacturing system. Have they provided specific dealer ordered date?
Hard to say how long it will take from now till delivery.
My SL -Etec was Ordered in the manufacturing system on 02/05/11 and was manufactured on 03/10/11 with a VIN # 2026.
But with the order SNAFU issue, its hard to tell how long the manufacturing system queue is at this point. Could have grown from 5 weeks in early February to 10 weeks, the earthquake / tsunami disaster caused at least a 3 to 4 week delay, and is unclear how much further delays in parts manufacturing may be occurring.
My guess would be there is a chance for an order placed into the manufacturing system today to be delivered in 4 to 6 months. So it might make it in 2011. But it might not.
My sympathies Rat.

Back