Rapid battery degradation in new 2015 S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NavyCuda said:
Went for my battery checkup yesterday. Nissan gave me 5 stars for all three criteria. Must be doing something right.

24,600km

These checkups are meaningless. I suppose they are telling you if you're not doing anything to make battery life shorter than it already is. All my 4 reports were 5 stars in all categories, but I'm down to 60% SOH after 4.5 years.

NasGoreList said:
So my new car's battery deteriorated more in 1000 miles than yours did in 22,000 or my old car's did in 17, 000 (with same driving habits) and you consider that normal?

car is garaged and charged (from 20-30%) just like the old one every other day to 100% via L2 charger at home

pretty sure normal is not a word I used. without answering the questions I asked you, I am unable to really shed any light on your situation. I could speculate if you like, tell you how you can boost your numbers back to "Proud Papa" levels...

or you could reread the part where I told you that 9 months ago, my degradation levels were greater than yours but my levels were back to 99% of new 2 months ago and realize that your numbers are probably not as accurate as you fear them to be.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2015/06/may-2015-driving-stats-time-to-boost-my.html

ok, now before you start singing "Whoa is Dave" read this

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2016/01/december-2015-drive-report-happy-new.html

6 months later, same car...

so now tell me; exactly how much faith do you have in a few months worth of data? because I can throw years worth of data to you if you like :)

I know that 2015 leaf data sample is small but the trend of rapid decline across of all parameters is what worries me.

What other info would help you get some ideas about why am I seeing the numbers that I do?

part of it is probably lack of deep cycles that tends to throw the pack out of balance. now this is not necessarily a bad thing since balance is only really critical at very low SOCs so if you are concerned about that, simply keep at least 2 bars lit up. The reason why my numbers are so extreme is due simply to heavy use which means heavy cycling which means a better balanced battery pack.

A good top balance does not seem to happen unless you discharge to at least 50-60% SOC and then recharge fully several times like every day for a week. Most of us simply don't drive like that. My super low numbers happened because it was several days of light driving, no full charges for almost two weeks (I was just plugging in here and there for a few hours at a time so my SOC pretty much bounced in the 20-70% range)

The other thing to keep in mind is that I am not sure that I fully trust the numbers creating an accurate "up to the minute" status report on the real condition of the batteries. After all, the considerable range of numbers seen should be clue enough that anything that does not cover several weeks of readings should not be taken seriously

DaveinOlyWA said:
part of it is probably lack of deep cycles that tends to throw the pack out of balance. now this is not necessarily a bad thing since balance is only really critical at very low SOCs so if you are concerned about that, simply keep at least 2 bars lit up. The reason why my numbers are so extreme is due simply to heavy use which means heavy cycling which means a better balanced battery pack.

A good top balance does not seem to happen unless you discharge to at least 50-60% SOC and then recharge fully several times like every day for a week. Most of us simply don't drive like that. My super low numbers happened because it was several days of light driving, no full charges for almost two weeks (I was just plugging in here and there for a few hours at a time so my SOC pretty much bounced in the 20-70% range)

The other thing to keep in mind is that I am not sure that I fully trust the numbers creating an accurate "up to the minute" status report on the real condition of the batteries. After all, the considerable range of numbers seen should be clue enough that anything that does not cover several weeks of readings should not be taken seriously

my charge cycles are from 20-30% to 100% every other day so battery is getting deep cycles..will keep collecting data

NasGoreList said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

my charge cycles are from 20-30% to 100% every other day so battery is getting deep cycles..will keep collecting data

I found every other day was not often enough. In fact, that pretty much matches my driving pattern right now as I am trying to reduce my mileage to not exceed my lease by too much and am starting to approach 60 ahr. This is a 5 ahr drop in 3 weeks. Now some disclaimers; I don't believe I was at 65 ahr 3 weeks ago and I don't believe I had as much as 22 kwh available either so trusting Nissan instrumentation completely is not something I am onboard with. the only thing that really matters is whether it does what you need it to do

Back