Rapid acceleration of battery degradation in year of light use

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marktm said:
Below is the "degradation" in amp-hours for my 2012 Leaf with a replacement "Lizard" battery in Nov. 2016. Totally different climate, similar usage (light), garage stored, L2 charging only. However, the seasonal ups/downs are so consistent (will have the third "hump" in a couple of months) that indicates (in my case) that the slow average shift in battery temperatures has a significant influence on amp-hr readings.

Since you have only points in time readings - at essentially the same time of the year, the "seasonal" ups and downs are not likely influencing your perceived degradation. However, I would recommend that you do a similar "plot" in the future to understand better how much seasonal variation in your situation exists. It is possible you will see significant "recovery" due to higher average battery temps in the spring/summer/fall. In Houston, we don't have anything but summer except for 3 months of cold,wet winter :mrgreen:

BTW, the amp-hr reading is above 54.5 currently - and we have had a relatively cool spring - so I expect a fairly sharp rise in the next couple of months.
No doubt there is seasonality to Ah-hr readings but my more moderate, 4 season Colorado experience is quite different than yours:

uc

No uptick from March; if anything that is when my battery Ah-hr drops !
YOY is helpful.

SageBrush said:
webb14leafs said:
Here in Florida I could buy a new 2018 SV for $27,900. Knock of the tax incentive, 0 percent financing and no delivery fee and I'm looking at less than half the price of a standard range + model 3. I would much rather have the increased range, styling, charging infrastructure, and battery reliability that comes with a Tesla. I'm just not sure that's worth another $20K.
You say that the LEAF is good for 5 - 7 years, so that implies a break-even of 10 - 14 years for the Tesla.

That matches up pretty well with my prior estimates. As you say though, the Tesla is so much more car that it was an easy choice for me. Specifically, we use the car for trips outside the city, usually about 200 - 250 miles each way. A LEAF would have forced us to either keep another car for long(er) trips or take ICE rentals

Can't argue with that.

The Leaf is really best as a second car, which is what it is for us. It's my commuter car, and our weekend errand car. The Tesla is really the only option in much of the country if you want an EV as a primary vehicle.

webb14leafs said:
The Leaf is really best as a second car, which is what it is for us.
Same in our family. The difference perhaps is that I paid $6,300 for the commuter. In tandem with the relatively expensive Tesla Model 3 our two EV household was a very reasonable cost; in fact, less than our prior hybrid/ICE combination after fuel savings are considered.

Incidentally, the other not so small advantage of a cheap second car is insurance savings. I don't bother with comp or collision on the LEAF, as befits a throw-away car.

SageBrush said:
webb14leafs said:
Here in Florida I could buy a new 2018 SV for $27,900. Knock of the tax incentive, 0 percent financing and no delivery fee and I'm looking at less than half the price of a standard range + model 3. I would much rather have the increased range, styling, charging infrastructure, and battery reliability that comes with a Tesla. I'm just not sure that's worth another $20K.
You say that the LEAF is good for 5 - 7 years, so that implies a break-even of 10 - 14 years for the Tesla.

That matches up pretty well with my prior estimates. As you say though, the Tesla is so much more car that it was an easy choice for me. Specifically, we use the car for trips outside the city, usually about 200 - 250 miles each way. A LEAF would have forced us to either keep another car for long(er) trips or take ICE rentals

What's your insurance costs compare for your two EV's? I'm presuming that's an additional "hidden" cost of the Tesla? Yes/no?

HerdingElectrons said:
SageBrush said:
webb14leafs said:

What's your insurance costs compare for your two EV's? I'm presuming that's an additional "hidden" cost of the Tesla? Yes/no?
~ $900 a year combined. The Model 3 is ~ $300 a year more than my LEAF because it also has comp and collision. $150 of my annual cost is for uninsured/under insured motorist. The difference in insurance premiums between the two cars is a reflection of their relative value, not anything Tesla specific. I would add comp and collision to any new car of any manufacturer; or more generally to any car with a replacement cost over ~ $15,000.

SageBrush said:
~ $900 a year combined. The Model 3 is ~ $300 a year more than a LEAF because it also has comp and collision. $150 of my annual cost is for uninsured/under insured motorist. The difference in insurance premiums between the two cars is a reflection of their relative value, not anything Tesla specific. I would add comp and collision to any new car of any manufacturer; or more generally to any car with a replacement cost over ~ $15,000.

Thanks

Back