Range Info, Pedal Behavior and Artificial Noise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
I might suggest that Tesla owners TEND to be ones who want to GO unless they HAVE to stop. This kind of driver might not be so interested in using "hypermiling" techniques, or gentle "coasting" toward the next red light.
I'm curious to know, how many Tesla owners do you know? I know quite a few and the majority to do not fit your disparaging stereotype. As with any group of drivers, I'm sure some are as you describe, but I'd definitely prefer that you not lump me into that description.

I, for one, tend to drive exactly as described here: coasting at a steady speed between lights, begin slowing when I see the light has either changed to red or is likely to do so, then easing into regen as needed to slow for the light, finally touching the friction brakes to come to a complete stop when needed. I also delight in pinheads who blast around me just so they can get to the light first while I catch up, recovering energy the whole way. The most satisfying is when I get to carry speed through the light where they had to stop and start again.

garygid said:
On the Tesla, when do the brake lights come on?
The brake lights come on when you are getting enough regen to slow you at a rate comparable to very light braking. I thought I would dislike that, but now I wish the RAV4-EV did it, too.

LEAFer said:
True, I haven't tried the Tesla method - but that strikes me as potentially unsafe (what if your foot slips off the go pedal for a moment and there's a tailgater behind you). It's also something that would require a learning curve for most people (a big no-no when you're marketing a vehicle for the masses).
It's not that strong, it's nothing like really pressing on the brake pedal. I'd say it's not as jerky as the engine braking you get when driving a manual transmission and lifting your foot off the accelerator while staying in gear. It's certainly nothing that requires special training or practice to drive comfortably and safely, but it is very useful once you figure out how to use it to your advantage.

The MINI E drivers seemed to be pretty happy with much stronger regen than the Tesla has (more than twice as much, 80 kW vs. 35 kW, I'm told). So what the Tesla has, what I'm used to and advocating for, is nothing extreme, dangerous, or challenging for a new driver.

Tom,
Sorry if you felt included with the Tesla owners who TEND to GO.
Since you "tend" otherwise, please feel un-included in the "GO" group.

Thanks for the brake-light info, and the better description of the amount of regen - as quite mild.

I thought ALL of the Tesla Regen was in the go-faster and only the mechanical brakes on the go-slower.

So, 3 questions so that I might understand better, please:

1. Does one get more than the "mild" Regen by pressing the brake pedal a little, or is the maximum Regen just the foot-off amount?

2. When your foot is off the "edie" pedal, is the brake light almost always on, unless the car is almost stopped?

3. In starting up from stopped on a flat surface, in forward "gear", without a foot on either pedal, does the car tend to move a little (creep), to simulate a typical automatic transmission?

Thanks, Gary

Who cares how they drive as long as they are safe drivers. Not every person that buys an EV is a hypermiler and many buy EVs for the fun and performance. Hypermilers can be quite irritating drivers at times in busy cities, slowing traffic flow, missing lights and causing long idling waits. I would prefer to be behind someone who can "go" when needed then someone who is constantly in the way. For those that live in certain parts of the bay area, you know what I mean. Now, does that make "go" drivers bad? And who cares how efficiently one drives if you generate 100% of your energy from Solar? The Tesla is more of a sports car and not everyone lies to drive like a hypermiler, performance EVs are what have given the space attention and EV racing has been quite popular and a large contributor to EV awareness, not a few conversion drivers wringing out every last mile. I vote for better drivers that drive appropriate to the situation and traffic flow:) I find myself in all groups when appropriate rather than one group. Anyone that is looking for efficiency in an EV would look to other EVs besides the leaf, it is a compromise on efficiency due to cost cutting/allocation to get it to the market at a specific price.

Yes, there are many driving styles, appropriate for many different driving conditions. Most of us use several styles, depending upon the "needs" of the moment.

The car, as best it can, should be able to accommodate a wide range of needs, and not artificially make everybody drive slowly, or unduly limit acceleration.

For the times when one wants to GO (and is not concerned about range or efficiency), one should be able to "stomp it".

However, when trying to use the "edies" (kWh) sparingly to make it home "on time" (without a long charging stop), the car should allow the most efficient modes of operation as well.

Definitely, the car should support both GO and "go", STOP and "sto...p". Little regen, BIG REGEN, and coasting ... will all be used at times, and valued by their uses, unless they are just missing.

Actually, I would like to have user-set options to customize many parameters for a user-profile, the user identified by the RFID (and perhaps user-password verified), to use a "profile" other than the "stock" profile. That would provide default consistancy, and allow great flexibility, with security.

wow!! i cannot believe the huge disparity between the results here. on the one end, its too low, on the other, the figure is unrealistically high.

105 miles at freeway speed is a pipe dream on a 24 kwh pack. even if it was a usable 24 kwh pack, that is greater than 4 miles per kwh. i am not buying that.

its easy for me to see an Nissan engineer padding figures and maybe that is the reason that Nissan has not been more forth coming with their results.

i also know that driving habits, terrain, location and traffic play the biggest part in what performance can be achieved and i fully believe that i will be able to exceed the mileage stated simply because i do so regularly in any car i drive (with the exception of the Zenn. at a top speed of 35 mph, its full bore all the time!!)

just the same, what i really want is raw data. dates, times, temps, location and starting and ending SOC. give me that and i will make my own conclusions.

**edit**
the Leaf does have a "pure coast" option and depending on the driving conditions, will require light pedal pressure on the "gas". on the Prius the "HSI" screen tells you whether you are in "coast" mode. its where there is no power or regen happening. i predict that you will learn it instinctively in the first week of driving and it will become a subconscious habit of yours in no time

as far as regen, i prefer the Prius/RAV 4 EV option. iow, make it act like a regular car. i have been using it over 6 years now and it has worked fine for me.

garygid said:
I thought ALL of the Tesla Regen was in the go-faster and only the mechanical brakes on the go-slower.
That's correct. You get maximum regen when you lift your foot off of the accelerator. As soon as you touch the brake pedal, friction brakes start. That's the thing I thought was crazy when I first heard about it, but after driving with it, it's what I prefer.

garygid said:
1. Does one get more than the "mild" Regen by pressing the brake pedal a little, or is the maximum Regen just the foot-off amount?
I don't want to be quoted as saying the regen level on the Roadster is "mild." I also don't want to get lost in describing the amount of regen you get from the Roadster, we don't have enough shared experience to provide a universal comparison. But I'm going to try again anyway by explaining how the RAV4-EV works.

In the RAV4-EV, when you lift off the accelerator, you get very light regen, but there are two switches that can change that. Without fiddling with switches, the regen is so light that we had to hook the car up to a tester and watch the regen current to see it is in fact giving us some regen.

A switch on the shifter gives you more regen on the accelerator, enough to very gradually slow to an upcoming light if you're paying attention enough to start early. Some people choose to drive in this mode all of the time, but it does introduce a very slight jerk when you move the pedal through the neutral position. It's not anything you'd notice at first, but after you know the car, I find it to be a bit of a distraction.

The level of regen can be increased further by moving the gear shifter into the "Electronic Braking" position. It feels like shifting into L2 in an automatic and gives you more regen, enough to slow more rapidly for an approaching light, or to hold a steady speed on a moderate downhill slope. It's not enough to hold your speed steady on a steep hill, which requires engaging the brake pedal. This mode introduces more of a jerk at the neutral point on the accelerator pedal, enough that I find it annoying. I would say this maximum level of accelerator pedal regen is comparable to mild braking, about the amount of braking you'd use to hold a steady speed going down a moderately steep hill.

I would say the Roadster's maximum regen is in the neighborhood of the strongest regen on the RAV4-EV, but the pedal feel is very smooth and the transition from acceleration to regen is gradual and easy to control. You may not even notice the transition, it just feels smooth and continuous. If you want the car to go a little faster, you push the pedal slightly forward, if you want to go a little slower you let up slightly. The difference between the Roadster and every other car I've driven is that you get more control in the slowing down range, although it's not as much as the engine braking you can get out of a manual transmission. It's very smooth through the whole range from maximum acceleration to maximum regen. If you're not driving like a jack rabbit trying to maximize time spent stopped at lights, then you can do most of your speed control with the one pedal. It's not something you think about, it just happens. When the car isn't slowing as fast you need, you put your foot on the brake pedal, just like any other car. Even if you don't know, or care, about regen, you'll still enjoy the wider range of control offered by the accelerator pedal.

When you touch the Roadster brake pedal, the friction brake engages and regen ends. It's very smooth, you don't feel regen cut off, in fact it took some careful observation to convince myself that's what happens.

Correction: It turns out I was wrong about this. Touching the brake pedal doesn't seem to change the regen level. If you're going fast enough to get max regen, it continues at that same level.

Again this sounded terrible compared to how the RAV4-EV works, but it has two big advantages. First, if you want to drive for maximum efficiency, you just need to use the accelerator to do your gradual slowing and use the brake pedal for more rapid slowing and to bring the car to a full stop. In the RAV4-EV, as you press the brake pedal, somewhere along the line you cross the transition from maximum regen to wasting energy with friction brakes, but you can't tell where that point is. So, it's impossible to reliably get maximum regen. With what Tesla has done, you can get maximum regen without looking at the instruments and without fiddling with any controls, just lift your foot. Second, it's a more natural and comfortable way to control a car's speed. I know it seems odd because it's not what we learned and have used all of our lives, but it really is just a change to the degree of slowing you get in an automatic transmission gas burner when you lift your foot off the pedal.

I'd like to again emphasize that this isn't big change to how the car drives for a driver new to the car. I had the opportunity to test drive the Roadster twice before we took delivery, once in September 2007 (when I had experience with a Honda Insight hybrid, but no EV driving) and again in September 2009 (after I'd been driving the RAV4-EV for two months). During those test drives, I didn't even notice the regen on the accelerator. It wasn't something I was looking for, and the car just worked. It was only after we took delivery and I started driving it daily that I noticed the regen, learned how to use it to maximum advantage, and eventually decided Tesla had done a marvelous job of designing the system.

I'm not asking that you blindly support this implementation of EV driving based on my rambling, but I am asking that you consider it possible that once we have cast off the limitations of the internal combustion engine, there could a small changes to how we control the car's speed that you'll find comfortably familiar but also different in a way you'll quickly come to prefer. I'm also hoping that Nissan will study the issue and consider how their customers can benefit from having an all-electric drivetrain controlled by a suitably optimized control system all within the requirement that it will work just fine for someone who has been driving gas for years or decades.

garygid said:
2. When your foot is off the "edie" pedal, is the brake light almost always on, unless the car is almost stopped?
I'm not sure of exactly when the brake light goes off as you slow down, since I can't normally see my brake lights. I've observed it some through reflection, and it does go off as the regen fades as the car slows.

garygid said:
3. In starting up from stopped on a flat surface, in forward "gear", without a foot on either pedal, does the car tend to move a little (creep), to simulate a typical automatic transmission?
Yes, that's the behavior, which is a controversial topic among Tesla owners. I think it's a good thing because it makes the feel of the car more familiar and it reinforces the training to keep your foot on the brake pedal when you want the car to not move.

When you turn the car off, a mechanical lock on the gear box engages, just like putting an automatic transmission in park.

Thanks, Tom.
I hope I have the chance to drive a Tesla to experience the "pedal" first hand.

It sounds like the Tesla applies an increasing level of Regen smoothly, from zero Regen, with no abrupt change in acceleration (a "jerk").

However, it sounds like the RAV4 "suddenly" applies the selected level of Regen, rather than tapering into it, resulting in the "jerk" that you find annoying.

The "smoother" implementation would be preferred, I believe, but just costs a bit more to implement. It is unlikely that the RAV4's "jerk" was considered desireable, but was done just to get "something" more than "no Regen" implemented.

As we transition to EVs being commonplace, small variations in control will also be experimented with.

For now, the "mainstream" appears to be simulating (more or less) the operation of a "typical" ICE.

But, as you point out, there are other ways, some of which will be experienced as "better".

Again, thanks for the really good explanation.

garygid said:
I hope I have the chance to drive a Tesla to experience the "pedal" first hand.
I definitely recommend it. Tesla can be generous with test drives at customer events. Store openings are a good opportunity. On the other hand, going for a 10- or 20-minute test drive can be pretty overwhelming, there's a lot to take in if you're not used to driving a high performance car. Getting a handle on the regen feel requires some time and getting used to the more prominent aspects of the car first.

garygid said:
It sounds like the Tesla applies an increasing level of Regen smoothly, from zero Regen, with no abrupt change in acceleration (a "jerk").
Correct.

garygid said:
However, it sounds like the RAV4 "suddenly" applies the selected level of Regen, rather than tapering into it, resulting in the "jerk" that you find annoying.

The "smoother" implementation would be preferred, I believe, but just costs a bit more to implement. It is unlikely that the RAV4's "jerk" was considered desireable, but was done just to get "something" more than "no Regen" implemented.
I agree. I'm sure Toyota would have done a better job if they were planning to sell it outside the limited numbers required in California. Independent of the regen level they choose, Tesla and Nissan have to do a better job with the transition to appeal to a broader market.

To give Toyota credit where due, they have done an excellent job of smooth integration of Regen "onto" BOTH pedals in their 2010 Prius, and into the no-foot zone as well.

When very near to coming off the "gas", one gradually gets an increasing, but small amount of Regen. The amount of Regen achieved (which remains in foot-off operation), actually appears to be a computer-controlled variable.

With your foot "off", and the car going "fast" and still increasing in speed, the control computer appears to increase the regen to moderate the speed increase. No, not cruise control (which they also have). Very nicely done.

Gradually pressing on the brake pedal smoothly inceases the regen to "max", and (at some point I cannot detect) seamlessly adds the computer-controlled mechanical braking. Again, very, very well done. No "jerks" or flat-spots.

One "defect" (I feel) is that it is very difficult to "coast" (neither driving the electric motor nor killing momentum with unwanted regen). It is not difficult to be "somewhat close" to the "free-wheel" point, but the amount of "drive" or "regen" is so slight that one (normally) cannot feel it, only the "current" in/out indicator will show you the min-energy "coasting" point. It is essentially impossible to "hold" that state, since there appears to be no "dead spot" in the accelerator/regen control curve. It might be an easy software change, if they wanted to do it.

The other "feature" is that the maximum regen (and motor-braking when in their "B" mode) is insufficient to control speeds on significant downhill sections, and the mechanical brakes must be applied, possibly for long periods of time, with the possibility of significant brake overheating.

Overall, their (presumed) attempt to "mimic" the "typical" ICE control-of-driving experience appears to be well done, even including forward (and backward) "creep" from stopped.

Not perfectly optimal, I think, but totally "familiar", even for grandma! :)

Most likely, that was their objective.

garygid said:
The other "feature" is that the maximum regen (and motor-braking when in their "B" mode) is insufficient to control speeds on significant downhill sections, and the mechanical brakes must be applied, possibly for long periods of time, with the possibility of significant brake overheating.
Most of my Prius experience has been on what you might consider not to be "significant" downhill sections, though I have taken the Old Priest Grade coming down from Yosemite on Hwy 120 (about 14% for 2 miles). More often I take the west sides of Pacheco Pass and Hecker Pass, both on Hwy 152. Those are both about 1000 foot drops, with the Priest grade more like 1400 feet. Pacheco is a high speed freeway, Hecker a typical modern mountain road, and Priest -- well it is unique.

I use "B" shift for all three, and to correct a posible misconception first, I don't think you meant to say "B" mode uses engine braking instead of regen, though your words could have been interpreted that way. I am quite positive that "B" mode uses maximum regen until the battery is full, then switches to engine braking.

My own experience is that I never have to touch the brake pedal coming down Pacheco, I touch it lightly a few times before entering sharp curves on Hecker, and I ride it much of the time on Priest. I will be delighted if the Leaf works the same way.

P.S. Not that I expect to be able to take the Leaf to Priest Grade! Pacheco is a possibility if I stop for a boost and some shopping in Los Baños.

Just for some perspective, any high performance car with non-automatic transmission is going to slow pretty heavily when you take your foot off the accelerator, and will continue slowing if you downshift as needed. It's perfectly ordinary and unsurprising, unless you've driven Lexuses all your life. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I wish my brake lights came on when I use engine braking. Deceleration tends to catch early morning commuters by surprise.

planet4ever said:
I use "B" shift for all three, and to correct a posible misconception first, I don't think you meant to say "B" mode uses engine braking instead of regen, though your words could have been interpreted that way. I am quite positive that "B" mode uses maximum regen until the battery is full, then switches to engine braking.
Once you switch into "B" mode on the Prius, it keeps the engine spinning any time your foot is off the gas pedal. The state of charge of the battery does not matter.

A little more info on range, stating that the 138 mile figure was in eco mode, the other figures were in normal mode:

"Nissan also released some best case/worst case range reports around the time of the test drives in Yokohama, Japan, stating the car would go 138 miles (@ 68 degree Fahrenheit temperature and steady-state flat-course 38 mph), Mark also mentioned that this also was using the eco mode setting; whereas the other ranges (like the highway driving at 55 mph in 95 degree heat with A/C on-70 miles and 24 mph suburban driving, moderate temperature-105 miles of range) where given in normal mode."

Quoted from: http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/07/06/examining-nissans-eco-mode-toggle/

drees said:
Once you switch into "B" mode on the Prius, it keeps the engine spinning any time your foot is off the gas pedal. The state of charge of the battery does not matter.
Well, the engine may be spinning, but I can see the battery charge level going up, and when the next bar is added to the bar chart (showing 100 MPG) it contains multiple little regen car images, so I know "B" mode is causing regen. When the battery gets full, the engine starts racing, which it wasn't doing before.

LEAFer said:
Great explanations, Tom ! Thanks.

The following TeslaMotorsClub thread may be way too technical for most, but if you have :ugeek: tendencies, it could answer some deep technical questions, including when brake lights come on. It also illustrates some of the controversies ...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php?t=4194
Interesting read! My vague bias going in was that brake lights should be reserved for the brake pedal, but I'm now for having them come on during any strong regen, brake pedal or not. I also like the idea of a brake light indicator on the console.

tomsax said:
When you touch the Roadster brake pedal, the friction brake engages and regen ends. It's very smooth, you don't feel regen cut off, in fact it took some careful observation to convince myself that's what happens.
It turns out I was wrong about this. Touching the brake pedal doesn't seem to change the regen level. If you're going fast enough to get max regen, it continues at that same level.

I added a correction to the original post as well.

Back