Range anxiety, or range recklessness?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald

I've been carefully studying the energy consumption and indicated charge/use in my Renault Fluence since I got it. Hardly surprising - any EV driver must do this to plan their driving. Anyhow, I have come to trust and interpret what the SOC and gauges are telling me and am happy that I can judge my remaining distance to a few miles worth.

This is to the point that I undertook a 120 mile round trip journey a few weeks ago, content in the confidence that this could be done at a steady 52mph on the highway. The NEDC cycle says it is good for 115. I was expecting to be able to get a charge, but was not sure I could. As it happens, I did grab around 5kWh worth, yet made it back home with around 6 kWh left. So I could've made the whole trip without any charging.

Of course, there is no way I would've attempted such a trip had I not built up enough experience to believe I could do this. It is also usefully backed up by Renault's 'flat-battery' recovery service that goes with leasing the battery.

I was due to run a 51 mile trip, each way, today but decided not to go due to weather. However, the car would have been fully loaded and on a route I have not done. Nonetheless, I'll probably try it out next week. I think it will be pushing it, but, hey, I reckon I'll just about make it.

The other day I had one sector (of 8) of the SOC left, which I know represents 12 miles with a certain driving style. I went to pick up my son on a 10 mile round trip. No worries, though the car started beeping at me very annoyingly even though I was confident I had 5 miles left at that point. Of course, I made it back and never doubted that I would.

OK, my question:
Does owning an EV for a while and becoming familiar with it lead to the exact opposite of what many people might think about owning and using an EV will lead to - Does it lead to range recklessness, rather than range anxiety?

I read here very often folks hitting the low battery warning, which means they've also gone off and used up their full range. I'm finding I am becoming much more 'gun-ho' about pushing the envelope of the range. Of course, that might change if I hit empty and end up stranded a few times. But where my thinking is at the moment, that would only happen if I 'mis-used' the car in some way and used/drove it in a manner that ate my expected range.

What do long-time EV users think? Do you set out on a journey with a well-established expectation of the range, and have no worries about getting back, or do you shy away from pushing the range envelope of your EV? Does it depend on the type of BEV you have - are some more 'forgiving' than others and let you use up some 'invisible' hidden-away reserves, or do you get a sharp cut-off and you avoid ever getting close?

We've had our LEAF for 2-1/2 years. To eliminate range anxiety we do plan our trips. We live 15 miles outside of the nearest town and if we are just going in to shop and back, then we just charge to 80%. Once a week when we go bowling, we are never sure where the group wants to have lunch and so we charge up to just under 100%. With an L2 charger this means "punching the car up" one hour before we leave. When done right, the Aerovironment has the charge light blinking which means that the charge is intermittent for the last bit of charging when we disconnect. We always have a bar or two or three remaining when we get back home. I don't know if that has any bearing on the fact that with over 26,000 miles, we still show all 12 bars of capacity. And yes, sometimes on the way home I'll speed up to the limit of 65 mph when without traffic we normally like to go 55 - 60 mph.

I believe the battery is a resource that is mine to use. If I'm planning a 90 mile trip and I know that I will make it, I go. Especially if L2 is available for a 20-minute top-up in case I make an error in math or driving style.

On long trips especially, since it's those that prevent the most gasoline usage.

Having an EV does not lead to anything except using a low cost energy source.

If you played chicken with your gasoline fuel light you will do the same with your EV.
If you tend to fill the gas tank at 1/2 to 1/4 tank you will do the same with your EV.
JMHO.

donald said:
What do long-time EV users think? Do you set out on a journey with a well-established expectation of the range, and have no worries about getting back, or do you shy away from pushing the range envelope of your EV?

When you use Turbo3's App or some other Gid Meter there is absolutely no range anxiety or range recklessness. I know exactly how far I can go every time.

donald said:
I read here very often folks hitting the low battery warning, which means they've also gone off and used up their full range.

This is actually just some terminology differences. On a Leaf, LBW (Low Battery Warning) is not saying your battery is fully discharged, just that it's getting close and you might want to start looking for a charging station. On my 2013 Leaf SV, LBW is given at about 19% state-of-charge, meaning I have 13-20 miles of driving remaining. This would equate to the low-fuel light on any recent ICE vehicle. After LBW, you get VLBW (Very Low Battery Warning). After VLBW, you hit turtle mode. At the point you hit turtle, your battery is depleted. You have less than a mile of range and are limited on your maximum speed. Turtle mode is there to let you safely pull off the road.

In other words, hitting LBW isn't really a big deal, hitting turtle is where you've fully drained the battery and are exhibiting "range recklessness".

donald said:
....Does it lead to range recklessness, rather than range anxiety?
That's an interesting question. I prefer to use the term confidence :). I'd say that in the LEAF, I pushed it to the reckless range on a few ocassions and in the Volt, it was not much of an issue; I always pushed it to it's limit with impunity. In the RAV4, because of the increased range, I've rarely felt reckless even driving from San Diego to LA. There is another sort of reckelessness to consider though; after a few years of driving electric, I have a better sense of what each car can do and what I can do when needed and so when there's plenty of juice, I put the car into sports mode and punch it a bit ;-)

Back