Radar Detector: Power and Mount

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severum88

I finally got around to moving my V1 radar detector from my Infiniti into my Leaf. I wanted to keep a clean installation so I went with an invisicord so I could tap off power from the rearview mirror.....very easy btw.....I'll note which wires and report back for those needing to know.

As for the mount,the suction cups had previously served my well but the black nipples at the top of the windshield in the Leaf prohibited me from using them. So I went with a mirror mount from "performance package". I chose the one from performance package over the blend mount as it was considerably cheaper.

Now the V1 mounts nice and neat tucked right under the rearview mirror....clean and neat. I'll get a pic up soon as well as the wiring guide. I'm not affiliated with invisicord, V1, or performance package. ;)

Hope this helps someone.

Severum

Severum88 said:
I finally got around to moving my V1 radar detector from my Infiniti into my Leaf. I wanted to keep a clean installation so I went with an invisicord so I could tap off power from the rearview mirror.....very easy btw.....I'll note which wires and report back for those needing to know.

As for the mount,the suction cups had previously served my well but the black nipples at the top of the windshield in the Leaf prohibited me from using them. So I went with a mirror mount from "performance package". I chose the one from performance package over the blend mount as it was considerably cheaper.

Now the V1 mounts nice and neat tucked right under the rearview mirror....clean and neat. I'll get a pic up soon as well as the wiring guide. I'm not affiliated with invisicord, V1, or performance package. ;)

Hope this helps someone.

Severum

Thank you very much and I for one am looking forward to your future postings on installation, particularly the wiring part.

Regards,

Dave

I've used a dual blend mount in other vehicles - one for the ScanGauge and one for the V1. Didn't know there was something available for about 1/2 the price. Would love to see some pix of your install.

I'm not sure that a lot of Leafers will be putting radar detectors in, given that 55MPH is about the fastest we can go efficiently... I had a detector back in the '80's, but found cruise control to be a better substitute.

I zip along typically at 50-55 in 40 zones as all I take are back roads. Suits me well regardless of the vehicle.

Severum

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not sure that a lot of Leafers will be putting radar detectors in, given that 55MPH is about the fastest we can go efficiently... I had a detector back in the '80's, but found cruise control to be a better substitute.

I regularly run mine up to 99 when in the HOV lane. BUt where I need the detector is when I drive outside the county, we have a couple of counties which make a lot of money from out of county drivers. Oh, and they have yellow light camera too. My license plate reflector shield takes care of that -- at least so far. I'm just a plain old Red Neck Southern Boy Scofflaw -- Yee Haa!.

Great! Then leave the thread for those who DO find value. ;)

Severum

LeftieBiker said:
Well, that's two exceptions so far. I'm still thinking most Leaf owners don't drive like that.

There are three wires for the powered rear-view mirror. The two wires closest to the drivers side, american version, are your taps for switched 12v. Confirm yourself with a meter being careful not to short the leads together.

If you order an invisicord, be sure to get the micro pins. I had to file my pins down to get them to pierce into the tiny connector/tabs.

Severum

A radar detector in my leaf is not needed where I live.

There are few cash grab radar traps on side roads and you are OK on the highway up to 120km /h

Over that speed doesn't happen often!

But there is 12v constant at the homelink buttons and if not there is always ignition and constant at the OBD 2. From there it is easy to pull the door moulding out and run the wires up and behind the headliner.

Constant and switched are the 2 first at one end, top and bottom and the 1st black next is a good ground.

CWO4Mann said:
My license plate reflector shield takes care of that -- at least so far. I'm just a plain old Red Neck Southern Boy Scofflaw -- Yee Haa!.

In California, those are illegal and often enforced more then the traffic laws. Neighbor was even pulled over for waxing his plate.

LakeLeaf said:
CWO4Mann said:
My license plate reflector shield takes care of that -- at least so far. I'm just a plain old Red Neck Southern Boy Scofflaw -- Yee Haa!.

In California, those are illegal and often enforced more then the traffic laws. Neighbor was even pulled over for waxing his plate.

It is illegal to "wax your plate"

My inner child is giggling....

I use this with my Leaf and found power from the rear view mirror via a multimeter

http://www.amazon.com/MirrorMountTM-Radar-Detector-Mirror-Mount/dp/B0063N7UGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393121393&sr=1-1&keywords=Mirror+mount+v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.safe-n-sound1.com/Valentine%20Stealth%20Mirror%20Cord.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back