Winter tires and winter wheels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I found out is if you're going to put only 2 winter tires on the car, put 'em on the REAR!!! Do you believe this? The reason is that the rear will slide out faster than the front of the car, so you want the better tires on the rear. Very interesting.

Thoughts?

That is true - you're better off having the front slide than the rear. However, neither option is good! Get four well-reviewed but less expensive snows (UltraGrips are good) and you'll be happier and safer.

So, is it only the >=2002 Nissan Altima wheels that fit, or has someone found any other wheels that use this same style?
I suppose those are probably the most common anyway.

Thanks,
Dave

dca said:
So, is it only the >=2002 Nissan Altima wheels that fit, or has someone found any other wheels that use this same style?
I suppose those are probably the most common anyway.

Thanks,
Dave
There are quite a few Nissan OEM wheels from other models (16" & 17") that will match the 5x114.3 bore, +40mm offset and 66.5mm bore that will clear the brake calipers. Take a few minutes to skim through this thread to find them.

ok, thought maybe someone had a list or lookup tool to find them. When I was looking thru I saw mostly what did not work. I'll take another look and thanks for the spec summary! Here is a neat link that explains all the specs:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/wheel-tech.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Couple additional comments...

<<"...Nissan OEM wheels from other models (16" & 17") that will match the 5x114.3 bore, +40mm offset and 66.5mm bore that will clear the brake calipers.">>

I believe you meant 66.1, not 66.5...

I reviewed the thread, and there are conflicting results posted. The only undisputed fit I saw was the Nissan 2002 type. I have seen web references that show 2002-up, and ones that refer to 2002-2006.

What I was orig looking for was something like the following (and match in this case by offset):

http://www.wheel-fitment.com/PCD/5x114.3%20/66.1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dca said:
Couple additional comments...

<<"...Nissan OEM wheels from other models (16" & 17") that will match the 5x114.3 bore, +40mm offset and 66.5mm bore that will clear the brake calipers.">>

I believe you meant 66.1, not 66.5...

I reviewed the thread, and there are conflicting results posted. The only undisputed fit I saw was the Nissan 2002 type. I have seen web references that show 2002-up, and ones that refer to 2002-2006.

What I was orig looking for was something like the following (and match in this case by offset):

http://www.wheel-fitment.com/PCD/5x114.3%20/66.1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can split hairs if you like. If I had written 5x114, would you have mentioned that the .3mm was missing? The bore is not significant if it is coming from an OEM Nissan 5x114.3 wheel since they most likely all use the same 66.1mm bore (That is a guess on my part, since I can only truly verify this on a few Nissans I've owned throughout the years). Is there an OEM Nissan 5x114.3 wheel out there w/ a 66.5mm bore while others are 66.1mm?

I can tell you that from my experience, the one 16" wheel OEM Nissan wheel that I've found that has an 'undisputed fit' to the Leaf are the wheels from a S14 (If you like details: Nissan 240SX SE '96-'98). See the first post of this thread. This is the 3rd winter I've used the wheels mentioned on the first post. I also have a set of S14 wheels that I use in the summer at times. No problems w/ them what-so-ever. I've probably logged over 25k miles on S14 wheels.

Don't get too caught up w/ the bore diameter. The tolerances between the hub and the bore on the wheel is fairly low. The centering of the cone of the wheel nuts to the seats in the wheel have greater tolerances. If you use the correct method of mounting the wheel to the hub the need for the hub to sit inside the bore is negated. When you buy reputable aftermarket wheels from a reputable vendors like Tirerack, most wheels have an oversized bore to account for different hubs. For some makes you can buy inserts to add to the wheel which make them match the bore, but most of the ones sold are plastic which isn't ideal for precise tolerances. I use inserts for wheels that I mount onto my track car that are made out of machined aluminum for 2 reasons; plastic would melt from the heat of the brakes and the car hits speeds in excess of 125mph. If not for those reasons I wouldn't bother. I've used lots of aftermarket wheels on several Nissans that did not use the matching bore and I've never had a problem w/ them. And those were on cars that were autocrossed extensively and saw occasional track time.

I fitted 16 inch Nissan Juke Steel Wheels with Michelin Alpin A4's. I then bought some very cheap plastic wheel trims to restore the appearance. So far so good.

Back