Quick question about the AV AeroVironment 220V Charging Dock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torgazm

Installed in my garage last spring, and been working great with my LEAF. My question: I'm thinking about adding a Chevy Volt to the family - will that unit charge the Volt as well as my LEAF?

torgazm said:
Installed in my garage last spring, and been working great with my LEAF. My question: I'm thinking about adding a Chevy Volt to the family - will that unit charge the Volt as well as my LEAF?
The best way to answer that question is take a Volt for a test drive and drive it home, plug it in to the AV and let us know the results.

I would be surprised if it fails, but why not test it and remove all doubt.

According to what I've read, the answer is yes, the SAE J1772 plug standard fits both the Volt as well as the LEAF and many other vehicles (though not all). One source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772.

Glad to learn you've had good luck with your AV station. I've not been so lucky (repeated red trouble lights that AV has not repaired despite many calls).

Unrelated to the station plug, I thought of a few considerations to think about that may impact your use of one charger:

1. The AV charger does not have a field-replaceable cord length (so they say and advertise). I got the 15' version but a 25' was also available.
2. As you know the LEAF connector is at the front of the vehicle. The Volt's connector is on the left side between the left front wheel well and the forward edge of the driver's door. Given that, is your station installed where the cable will reach charge ports on both vehicles without creating tripping hazards, possible damage if moving one car snags the cable charging the other car, and so on.
3. Will there be any time for any reason that you need to charge both vehicles at the same time?
4. If you are on time-of-day electricity rate schedules, and if you have to charge both vehicles sequentially (not simultaneously), will the length of time to do so put you into a higher rate period for part of all of some charging?

Good luck with whatever your decision, and both the LEAF and Volt!

torgazm said:

I have both LEAF and VOLT. My AV EVSE works fine with both.

[/quote]

I have both LEAF and VOLT. My AV EVSE works fine with both.[/quote]

Thanks everyone for the responses, looks like I'll be good :)

Also I just wanted to add that my Ingineer-upgraded Nissan Level I EVSE also works with both VOLT and LEAF.

This is a standard folks, if an EVSE does not work on your car then there is an issue with the car or the EVSE. The entire point of the standard is compatibility. This is not to say that some manufacturers did not design there products properly.

Back