Question about power switch OFF & LOCK positions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

Page 5-8 and 5-9 in the manual talks about the power switch operation. It says it has 4 modes, ACC, ON, OFF, LOCK. It shows a flow on top of page 5-8 where the only way to go to LOCK is to open or close any door while in OFF. But why bother having the LOCK position and cause confusion and redundancy and complicate things? Why the need to differentiate between OFF and LOCK? It seems as if they could be combined into a single mode.

Top of page 5-9 says "The power lock is designed so that the power switch position cannot be switched to LOCK until the vehicle is into the Park position". So??? If you're in READY and switch to OFF, the car is automatically put to PARK as well in one single step. So there's no way the power switch can ever be in OFF without being in Park. So why bother have OFF and LOCK defined as separate modes? Also, what visual indication does the car give to differentiate between OFF and LOCK? How can you ever tell apart which of these 2 modes you're in?

I agree that it is very puzzling. I had thought the point was that you couldn't lock the car with the Intelligent Key if the power is in OFF, rather than LOCK, position, so you had to get out of the car first after shutting down. This may still be what the lock state refers to, but that's not what the Intelligent Key section on page 3-10 says.

By the way, you didn't list the other, and most important, power state: READY. I notice that people tend to confuse ON with READY, and ACC with ON. ACC is with the console lit up, but not the dash. ON is with the console and the dash lit up, but no green car.

Ray

planet4ever said:
By the way, you didn't list the other, and most important, power state: READY. I notice that people tend to confuse ON with READY, and ACC with ON. ACC is with the console lit up, but not the dash. ON is with the console and the dash lit up, but no green car.

Ray
Oops, you're right. I forgot to list READY. I was just too focused on the difference between OFF and LOCK and plain forgot about READY.

garygid said:
Maybe in LOCK mode, the small red security light is flashing?
That was the reason for my asking this question in the first place. All of a sudden today, my small red security light started flashing, even when the car is sitting in the garage UNLOCKED. It's never happened to me before. That's why I started reading up about the blinking security light on page 2-34 of the manual, and it says to place the power switch to OFF or LOCKED position in line item 2. So I followed up on the power switch which led me to page 5-7 and 5-8, and that's where I got confused.

Anyway, page 5-8 line item 3 says that if the power switch is in the OFF mode, just opening any door will put it in the LOCK mode.

Maybe they're trying to differentiate between your seating in the car with the power switch in OFF, and when you open and close the door (as in getting out of the car) to put it in the LOCK mode, so you can lock the car in the LOCK mode only...

But it looks like the power switch in the LOCK mode doesn't trigger the blinking security light. Only the actual locking action can trigger the blinking security light.

But in my case recently, my security light starts blinking when the car is off no matter if the car is locked or unlocked.

I may try a 12v battery reset to see if it fixes the problem or not.

i read that section, so many times, my eyes hurt.

I gave up completely on trying to understand the nuances.

I do find it interesting, and am still trying to figure out, the modes that allow you to run the power windows when you turn off the engine.
it seems to work most of the time, but sometimes only the driver window and sometimes I have to power back on.

thankyouOB said:
I do find it interesting, and am still trying to figure out, the modes that allow you to run the power windows when you turn off the engine. it seems to work most of the time, but sometimes only the driver window and sometimes I have to power back on.
The manual doesn't seem to address that, but my experience is that the windows work only in ON or READY mode (not even ACC mode) except that there is a delay (maybe 15 seconds? I really don't know) after you power down before power is removed from the windows.

Ray

thankyouOB said:
I do find it interesting, and am still trying to figure out, the modes that allow you to run the power windows when you turn off the engine.
it seems to work most of the time, but sometimes only the driver window and sometimes I have to power back on.

All the windows will work for a certain amount of time (haven't timed it) after you turn off the car IF you don't open one of the doors first. They all will also work in ACC (two PB pushes) mode.

Volusiano said:
But in my case recently, my security light starts blinking when the car is off no matter if the car is locked or unlocked.
I may try a 12v battery reset to see if it fixes the problem or not.

Mine does the same thing. I just figured it was 'normal'.

LEAFfan said:
All the windows will work for a certain amount of time (haven't timed it) after you turn off the car IF you don't open one of the doors first. They all will also work in ACC (two PB pushes) mode.
Quibble, LEAFfan. ACC is one power button push, and the windows won't work in that mode, though the radio and most nav unit features will. Two PB pushes (without the brake pressed) is ON mode, and the windows will work, as I said.

Ray

planet4ever said:
LEAFfan said:
Quibble, LEAFfan. ACC is one power button push, and the windows won't work in that mode, though the radio and most nav unit features will. Two PB pushes (without the brake pressed) is ON mode, and the windows will work, as I said.
Ray

LOL, I'm not quibbling. When I push 'once', nothing comes on, including the radio and nav. I have to push twice to have those things come on so I figured ACC is with two pushes. Please don't be so quick to judge and ask for clarification before jumping the gun.

LEAFfan said:
LOL, I'm not quibbling. When I push 'once', nothing comes on, including the radio and nav. I have to push twice to have those things come on so I figured ACC is with two pushes. Please don't be so quick to judge and ask for clarification before jumping the gun.
Sorry about that. Quibbles are not meant to be taken seriously, and they certainly aren't judgements. But I just checked my car, and I guess it must work differently from yours. For me, one push lights up the console (after a couple of seconds to boot up). The radio works and the windows don't. A second push lights up the dash. Now the windows work. A third push shuts everything down, and the windows continue to work for ... wait for it ...

unless you open a door, forty five seconds. Thanks for tipping me off to that door part. I didn't know that, and I think it has confused me at times. In fact, maybe this is related to the original OFF vs. LOCK question. The windows can work (briefly) in OFF mode, but never in LOCK mode?

Ray

You're right Ray. I never waited long enough for the NAV to come on and since I didn't have the radio on, thought I had to hit it twice for the NAV.

Back