Public Service Announcement - Pre Cooling is just as import

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epirali

Hi Everyone:

This is in the obvious category but got me this week. I was driving my usual route and all of a sudden I was seeing rapid drop in percentage vs miles (I know my route and driving style very well). I was so concerned I was starting to think I was losing a cell prematurely.

Then I remembered in winter I always make sure to pre-heat the car before I leave, and this results in very efficient heating on the trip. And yet as it got warmer it never occurred to me to pre-cool with AC and I was obviously running the air conditioning. Immediately started testing again but now with running the climate control on power before heading out. All went back to normal.

What is surprising is that the AC takes a much larger toll on battery than the heat pump heat (same unit, right?) I know the AC is "less efficient" from 2011/2012 but I am puzzled as to why the same heat pump cooling 10-12 degrees is so much less efficient than heating 35 degrees in the winter.

Anyone else notice this?

I have a 2013 and it was 97 degrees in my area today. After a minute or two of cycling, the power draw stayed in the 400-500 watt region. Heating uses way more than that. However, when traffic stopped I heard the two cooling fans kick on for the first time, and it seemed whenever they were running the display was showing the climate system pulling 700-800 watts. (I know it doesn't measure actual draw, but calculated draw.) So, what triggers the cooling fans?

I was told on this forum that the S model (13-14) with the "non heat pump" setup actually has more efficient A/C than the SL and SV with heat pump. Reverse is true for heating. Since I live in CA and never need heat (heated seats and steering wheel are all I need) but will run A/C most of the year, I specifically chose the S model for this reason. We haven't hit summer year but have had heat waves in excess of 90 degrees and the S model A/C is nice and cold and doesn't see to impact range too much, maybe 10-15 miles from a full charge (we are getting 85-100 miles per charge).

It is true but I'm not sure personally I'd want to give up all the other features just to get more efficient AC... YMMV.

tinaCA said:
I was told on this forum that the S model (13-14) with the "non heat pump" setup actually has more efficient A/C than the SL and SV with heat pump.

Back