ProPilot and Driver assist for the elderly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldbrick

Could someone with ProPilot+ tell me if they think it would help elderly folks much? My dad is 85 and loves his 2013 SV so much he is thinking of getting a new Leaf. The only real advantage for his usage IMHO would be the ProPilot feature on the newer cars but I have no experience with it. I know it isn't 'self-driving' but he's still quite healthy and while he doesn't need it now, I thought it could be a good safety feature in the future. Any input is welcome and TIA.

goldbrick said:
Could someone with ProPilot+ tell me if they think it would help elderly folks much? My dad is 85 and loves his 2013 SV so much he is thinking of getting a new Leaf. The only real advantage for his usage IMHO would be the ProPilot feature on the newer cars but I have no experience with it. I know it isn't 'self-driving' but he's still quite healthy and while he doesn't need it now, I thought it could be a good safety feature in the future. Any input is welcome and TIA.
ProPilot is like an advanced cruise control. If your dad doesn't use cruise control, he probably won't use ProPilot. It doesn't activate by itself, so you have to activate it each time you want to use it and you have to set the speed just like activating cruise control. This is a good video about ProPilot:
https://youtu.be/zNkdMAygyDM

I think Nissan's Safety Shield 360 is probably going to be better for him:
https://www.nissanusa.com/safety-shield.html

Thanks Triggerhappy007 ! Yes, you are right that Safety Shield is what I was thinking of. Nice to know it is standard on all trim levels on the 2020 Leaf. If that is available without the tech package that's a big plus.

I'm basically an elderly guy in poor health who can use some help driving, and Pro Pilot - when it's actually working - provides that help. If he is still sharp mentally he'll appreciate it. If he is fading, then it depends on exactly how well he still drives. Lacking that info, I'd say that PP will help. Just remind him to always turn it on when he drives. Also remember that steering assist won't work on roads with no painted lines. And at least on my 2018, the radar unit is temperamental and will shut off if the weather's been damp and has just turned freezing.

I might as well be elderly, given my driving skill. In particular I lack confidence changing lanes in traffic; and the faster the traffic is flowing the less confident I become. I gave a look at Tesla's FSD (full self driving) to aid in lane changing. My hope was that I could activate the change lane signal and the FSD would do the rest.

It does work that way ... but only if FSD is activated and the car is on autopilot. Since I'm not ready to hand over the car to autopilot in general, my lane changing assist remains unrealized.

I'd like to split everything from goldbrick's post https://mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=27&t=22748#pr595360 onward to a it's own new thread (maybe called "ProPilot and Driver assist for the elderly"). It's an important point to consider and I wouldn't want it lost in this larger thread.

SageBrush said:
I might as well be elderly, given my driving skill. In particular I lack confidence changing lanes in traffic; and the faster the traffic is flowing the less confident I become. I gave a look at Tesla's FSD (full self driving) to aid in lane changing. My hope was that I could activate the change lane signal and the FSD would do the rest.

It does work that way ... but only if FSD is activated and the car is on autopilot. Since I'm not ready to hand over the car to autopilot in general, my lane changing assist remains unrealized.

The heat pump was something I was not willing to give up to get a Tesla and its going to be a long time before I can afford a heat pump Tesla. FSD will get me into a Tesla some day because I have no head rotation and we are short on roads with strips. A model 3 is too low for me. In the meantime I will watch FSD videos and dream.

I have thought about parting out our 2016 SL with the new 40 kWh battery and put that money with the insurance money on a 2020 Leaf to get auto braking for safety.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The autobraking has already saved me from a couple low speed fender benders.

That is good to hear. 0.25 seconds of cutting the power to the motor and hitting the brakes could have made a difference when the guy ran the red light in our case. 4 more feet he would have been out of the way and 360 may have worked in that case.

I have mixed feelings about Pro Pilot after 16 months of driving the 2019. I thought it did a good job of keeping the car in the center of the lane even with faded lane markers when I experimented with it the first few months, but now it crowds the center line, seems to be sluggish in steering, and drops out more frequently. In thinking back, some of the difference may be due to changing the tires. The Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires have stiffer sidewalls and a stronger on-center feel so it takes more effort to initiate turns (which gives the driver a better feel of the road). The self steering may be optimized for the OEM tires which take very little effort to initiate direction changes.

One thing I noticed even when new is that the system is confused by dips in the road. Many of the roads around Phoenix have dips when the road crosses normally dry washes because it is not feasible to install culverts large enough to handle flash floods. If I let Pro Pilot do the steering on these roads, the car will drift to one side when going down into the dip, overcorrect, and drift to the other side when climbing out the other side. If there is no oncoming traffic, I let it go and it will cross the centerline or shoulder stripe before it corrects itself.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The autobraking has already saved me from a couple low speed fender benders.

Same here. I am probably going to upgrade to the driver aides option on my next purchase, tentative plan for 2024-5. Cross traffic, blind spot warning being the biggies. I am relatively certain most of those will be standard options on many cars by then anyway.

Back