preheat ... twice?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copdoc

Anticipating a big driving day, we charged to 100% and had a cabin preheat timer set to 7 am. As plans changed, our departure was delayed until 10 am -- by which time the car was at 100% and cold.

General best practices for babying your battery (I want this car to last 20 years!) would discourage trying to charge the car again once it has reached 100%. But the little I understand indicates that the car only preheats when it is also charging. In your humble opinion, reader, would you avoid preheating again?

No, I would go ahead and pre-heat. The car won't let the battery be charged past 100%. The charging station will have to be active, but all the power will go towards the Climate Control and not towards the battery.

I've preheated more than once for the same reason, after reaching 100%. If I'm really stretching it I'll charge to 80% the night before and top off from 80-100% using the prewarming function. getting the battery up to 5 bars seems to make a big difference in range, it also heats up the core of the car and allows you go go with foot/defog and no Climate control for longer.

Back