Power factor correction, when measuring @ wall.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald

If a simple current clamp is used to measure current drawn during EV charging, I presume this'd be accurate only in so far as there was no power factor correction to be made.

So my question is; when charging an EV with a 'typical' on board charger design [I don't know if there is, yet, a 'typical' design, or otherwise are there big differences between the manufacturers?], is it reasonable to presume the power factor is as close to 1 as makes no difference, or does an EV charger/battery pack behave a little, or a lot, as a reactive device?

I don't know the specifics of the Leaf's AC to DC converter but assuming that it is well designed and therefore uses an input current shaping, power factor correcting, front end that reduces input current harmonics, it should be close enough to 1.0 to ignore...

donald said:
So my question is; when charging an EV with a 'typical' on board charger design [I don't know if there is, yet, a 'typical' design, or otherwise are there big differences between the manufacturers?], is it reasonable to presume the power factor is as close to 1 as makes no difference, or does an EV charger/battery pack behave a little, or a lot, as a reactive device?

Back