Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
Evconnection (L3 @ Electric Ave.), OPconnect (L2 @ Electric Ave.), Car2go (to move or use Smart EVs @ Electric Ave.), Blink, Chargepoint, and Aeroenvironment

There's also SemaConnect for the chargers at Walgreens (which are free for now and don't need a card or account yet). Thanks for the comprehensive list! :D Which brings up a (off-topic?) gripe about public charging infrastructure: Why make us get a card/account for each source? Such a hassle. Why not just make it like gas pumps are now, where all we need to do is swipe a credit card?

GinkoLeaf said:
Why not just make it like gas pumps are now, where all we need to do is swipe a credit card?

I agree. That would be WAY more convenient.

Speaking of gas stations, I found this L2 charger at one in Beaverton. It made me laugh a little bit since I'm not sure why you would want one at a gas station, but whatever.

http://imgur.com/M4ghZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gsleaf said:
GinkoLeaf said:
Why not just make it like gas pumps are now, where all we need to do is swipe a credit card?

I agree. That would be WAY more convenient.

Speaking of gas stations, I found this L2 charger at one in Beaverton. It made me laugh a little bit since I'm not sure why you would want one at a gas station, but whatever.

http://imgur.com/M4ghZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the Tumwater DCFC is at a Shell Station. no fast food within 4 blocks...at least the gas station has a convenience store. but hey, better than nothing

DaveinOlyWA said:
the Tumwater DCFC is at a Shell Station. no fast food within 4 blocks...at least the gas station has a convenience store. but hey, better than nothing

Yeah, this one has a Safeway next to it I suppose. I think anything you would be likely to stay for an hour seems like a reasonable place for one.

gsleaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Yeah, this one has a Safeway next to it I suppose. I think anything you would be likely to stay for an hour seems like a reasonable place for one.

That gas station is also full of solar panels on the roof. I remember the owner saying in an interview that charging there and going to Safeway is OK with him.

GinkoLeaf said:
Why make us get a card/account for each source? Such a hassle. Why not just make it like gas pumps are now, where all we need to do is swipe a credit card?
All ChargePoint and Blink units accept credit cards. ChargePoint requires a card with RFID type communication and Blink has a website you load on your mobile phone to get an access code after typing in your credit card number.

Has anyone here had the Ecotality Blink EVSE installed as part of the EV Project? How did that work? Are you happy with the work they did and the Blink EVSE?

gsleaf said:
Has anyone here had the Ecotality Blink EVSE installed as part of the EV Project? How did that work? Are you happy with the work they did and the Blink EVSE?
Yes, Oregon Electric Group did the installation for ECOtality on my Blink unit. Went extremely well and came in under budget with an extremely professional looking installation.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/darkstarpdx/sets/72157626328012010/

gsleaf said:

I have the Blink EVSE also. Installed by McKinstry. Never failed to charge in 14 months. It is connected to the internet via wire (Ethernet), I was reading back then that the wireless was not working properly. I am using the timer in the car for 80% at any time and the Blink timer to avoid peak hours.

:D New QCDC charger at Burgerville on Powell and 92nd. Not power up but it looks all ready to go.

photo0169u.jpg

photo0170ah.jpg

gsleaf said:
The LEAF I bought last year was an orphan reserved by someone who also had gone through the ProjectEV application process. Effectively, the car came with a subsidized QC port and kind of a "pre-approval" for a Blink home EVSE. "Free was a very good price", or so I imagined, so I went ahead with the Blink install.

The installing electrician did an OK job, I guess, but elected to cut off the power plug connector that the Blink unit came with and wire it straight to my main breaker panel, which was about two feet away. The garage is unfinished, so they took the simple route of just stapling flex-conduit over the tops of the bare studs rather than drilling & routing through a couple of them. Not being much for cosmetics, that was OK with me, but I wish I'd asked them to install a mating power outlet connector so the Blink's original plug could be retained.

Over the first four months of use or so, the Blink EVSE was pretty much the sorriest P.O.S. I'd ever had the displeasure of using, thanks to a combination of poorly engineered hardware, a bad SD memory component, and bad operating firmware. At various times, the Blink would fail to notice its attachment or detachment from the LEAF, skip charging, reboot, and other antics. A repair tech eventually made a house call and changed out the Blink's SD memory card (I have to excuse Blink on that aspect of their troubles, as I understand the duff memory cards were pretty convincing counterfeits that found their way into legitimate component distributors' inventories). The tech also installed a pair of over-the-mains Ethernet modems to compensate for the inability of the Blink's wireless network feature to communicate with my network hub less than ten feet away (well, through a wall, but still, a laptop had no trouble at quadruple the distance).

Shortly after that, Blink HQ pushed out replacement firmware (remote firmware upgradeability was something that the Blink designers got right, I have to concede), and since then, the unit has performed much better. A few times, it's successfully supported my LEAF's timed-for-the-wee-smalls charging sessions for a solid week. But on the average, it fails to charge the car about one day out of every three or four. I can make three commutes on one 80% charge, so this works out mostly OK. Plus, I can now use my recently-obtained smart phone from the bedside to call up a replica of the Blink's display upon awakening. If it's one of those "A Power Fault has occurred.... please caress my touch screen" mornings, I can stagger out and at least get a little charging manually started while I shower.

gsleaf said:

Had mine installed by Parkin Electric (contracted by the EV project). They did a very professional job. The installation was fairly easy, since a 220 v drop was already available in the garage (previous homeowner's second dryer). I have had some problems with it not starting, stopping in the middle of charge, rebooting, etc. It turned out that all of those pesky issues had to do with the wireless connection. Once hooked up to the wired (ethernet) connection, it has been working flawlessly.

WHAT??? At that Burgerville? Wow. That is fantastic news for me, as it is on my way home from the airport to the foothills outside of Molalla!

Oh, and I'm referencing the post about the 92nd St. Burgerville QC. No more side-trips to Hollywood Fred Meyer for me, perhaps!

Thanks for all the feedback on the Ecotality Blink EVSE. I'm thinking of passing on it and just upgrading the standard EVSE. I'm not really excited about having a crappy piece of hardware installed. I'd almost rather wait a while and purchase a reliable one that's going to last a long time rather than getting a crappy one for free.

edit: One of my main issues is it sounds like the EVSE doesn't work if the internet is down at all. That seems like a pretty big flaw. I get that they want to do reporting, but it seems like it should be able to queue up data or work in the event of a data outage. I had Comcast cut my FIOS cable while installing cable for my neighbors. I'd be pissed if that cut my ability to do a L2 charge.

gsleaf said:
Thanks for all the feedback on the Ecotality Blink EVSE. I'm thinking on passing on it and just upgrading the standard EVSE. I'm not really excited about having a crappy piece of hardware installed. I'd almost rather wait a while and purchase a reliable one that's going to last a long time rather than getting a crappy one for free.

They will put in a 40 amp breaker and plug for free. That worth $100 or so of the $3000 that Blink / Ecotality bills the government.

TonyWilliams said:
gsleaf said:
Thanks for all the feedback on the Ecotality Blink EVSE. I'm thinking on passing on it and just upgrading the standard EVSE. I'm not really excited about having a crappy piece of hardware installed. I'd almost rather wait a while and purchase a reliable one that's going to last a long time rather than getting a crappy one for free.

They will put in a 40 amp breaker and plug for free. That worth $100 or so of the $3000 that Blink / Ecotality bills the government.
Since I has unused space in my panel and have all the tools I need to mess with drywall and run wires, I went to Home Depot picked up the breaker, some serious gauge cable, old-work outlet box, and the L-20 outlet for a little less than $40. I then bought a meter on-line from these guys: http://www.hialeahmeter.com/index.p...meters/single-phase-watt-hour-meters/ez-read/ for $30 (meter + socket). With this setup and my upgraded Nissan EVSE, I can accurately track wall-to-wheel power consumption of my LEAF, which has been enlightening as just about everybody I know under-calculates how much their LEAF costs to drive.

Installation was a little over two hours. If you don't have space in your panel, you might be able to do half-height breakers to make space, but that's a little risky because you could go over your panel rating if there are already some 40amp breakers in there. So if your panel is full you're going to need to get an electrician anyway...

Does anyone know about what is happening about the quick charge station in Newport? Plugshare says it wasn't powered up as of 8/11/12 but I haven't been able to find any other info on it. Thanks, Jim (planning Oregon trip from NorCal).

You may want to call the city manager in Newport to see if they know when it will be turned on. You also may want to contact
Art James, Project Director
Oregon Innovative Partnerships Program
Oregon Department of Transportation
355 Capitol St. NE, Room 115
Salem, OR 97301-3871
Phone: (503) 986-3858
E-mail: [email protected]

Back