Portable Generator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellybill52

Hope someone can help. I am thinking of getting pure EV. My Home to Work commute round trip would be 87 miles. I am not allowed to charge at work I already ask! I was thinking one last solution would be having a portable generator. This way I don't have to be on the edge when it comes to estimated remaining battery left. I figure I only need to run the generator maybe like 2 hours or 2.5 hours. This maybe would give me another 10miles battery energy! Does anybody know if portable generator would work charging it let say I only use 120v outlet instead of 240v? I can keep the portable generator at work. I dont have to lug it around the trunk.

It would be more efficient, less harmful to the environment, and less costly for your commute if you just get a Prius. I know you don't want to hear that, but your commute is just to far to make it with a LEAF.

Forget the Coda as well (official EPA range is 88 miles when new), and the company is likely to close.

Maybe the electric Rav4 or a Tesla if you insist on a pure electric, otherwise a Volt (or other plug-in hybrids) or a Prius would be the better bet for your particular situation.

We need a little more info to help you better.

Where are you? The Rav4EV (and almost every other EV) is only available in CA, for example, so anywhere else the Volt will do you better, and has it's own generator. If you can swing a Tesla, it's like a 10 month wait, but you can get one anywhere.

Where is work? Is there a charge station anywhere nearby? That could be a longshot, but, hey, worth an ask. They'll let you run and store a generator, but not plug in? Is it that they don't want to provide free power? You could offer to pay for a metered 120v outlet install. Just a thought.

Are there any QC stations along your commute? That also depends on where you are, but if not, the network is slowly growing and there may be one available to you in future, and then a Leaf might work for you.

Otherwise, don't get a Leaf, and run a generator, it just defeats the purpose.

Good luck.

smkettner said:
Pass on the generator and LEAF. Consider a Coda or RAV4 with more range. Maybe a base model Tesla.

A Coda? Really? Do you want to torture this person. .

I niether endorse or denounce Coda. It is what it is. The OP can test drive it and ask questions if considering it.
Just saying there are more EVs available if LEAF is short on range.

I have not read a bad report from an actual Coda owner so I will leave it at that.

A couple minutes of QC will make this commute possible. But it'll get old by the end of the week. You probably need about 2-3kW extra to make it comfortably.

Seems to me a BMW i3 with a REx could be a good fit. You'll probably rarely use the REx, but it's there for the cold winter days or when you need to pick up some groceries on the way home.

Coda is a non-starter.

Leaf is not for OP. The generator idea is not practical in any way whatsoever and patently absurd. Get a Prius.

Back