PORTABLE EVSE recommendation wanted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbles

Can anyone recommend a good portable charger source for the leaf to ease my anxiety a little?

You're probably better off checking Plugshare for public charging. Does your Leaf also have CHAdeMO inlet?

Even if you got whatever portable EVSE (beyond that stock L1 120 volt one), where would you plug it into? How would you find those outlets of whatever type you want?

You're in the Seattle area, right? If so, can you update your location info so that we know at a glance? I've asked that it be mandatory for years, to no avail.

babbles said:
Can anyone recommend a good portable charger source for the leaf to ease my anxiety a little?

Not sure what you are asking for...

If you mean a portable power source for charging your Leaf, then there's nothing that's reasonably priced, other than a gasoline powered generator. From my perspective, if you expect to regularly charge using a gasoline powered generator, then you shouldn't have bought an EV - just run an ICE instead.

If you mean a portable EVSE, why would you prefer that when public level 2 charging options are everywhere. Are you thinking about charging at RV parks via an RV hookup (NEMA 14-50R)? For en route charging, L1 (120V) charging is basically useless.

I would get the Nissan OEM dual voltage one. And leave a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cable in the car. And roadside assistance in your contacts.

let me revise the statement, my anxiety is only a few miles, I've kind of learned this leaf's battery pattern just like a cellphone, was just thinking of something that could add a few miles in between a longer trip but I think i'm ok, I'll juice up somewhere along the way, leaf only cost me $1500 in decent shape! :)

If you only want one in the car for emergency use, and to add a feeling of security, then there are Chinese EVSEs that are small enough to stash in the rear wall compartment with the air compressor. If you plan on using it regularly, there are slightly larger ones that will easily fit in the OEM EVSE bag, if you have that. Choose a size, and people will suggest specific models.

Just my opinion, but level 1 charging (via a regular 120v outlet) is next to useless. You will wait hours to add any meaningful range at a 1.4 kW rate.

For instance, after an hour, expect to have added about 5 miles of range. Better than nothing in an emergency, but if you plan L2 charging properly you should never need to L1 charge.

The idea behind emergency L-1 charging is that you get enough to get you that last mile or three, or to an L-2 station. Also, 120 volt outlets are easier to find than 240 volt outlets.

The EVSE is less important for OP than having useful adapters. I suggest:

For the city:
5-15
5-20
14-50
Maybe 6-20

Between cities:
Add 10-30 for RV park use

(thread resurrection)
Seems the OP bought an '11 Leaf and lives in the Seattle area.
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30857&p=618010#p618010
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30857&p=618151#p618151

In my driving of BEVs as my primary car since end of July 2013 and now having only BEVs since end of Jan 2019, I've never had any EVSE that can accept and take advantage of NEMA 5-20, 14-50, 6-20 nor 10-30.

The only EVSEs I've had were the stock L1 120 volt NEMA 5-15 EVSEs they came with, which I almost never used. Yes, they could plug into NEMA 5-20 but it still would only draw 12 amps max. Heck, I've never even plugged in the one that came w/my leased Niro EV.

(I guess there's one exception to what I said. The L1 120 volt EVSE that came w/my former Bolt has been widely reported of being able to run at 240 volts despite its labeling w/o sustaining damage but its output would be limited to 240 volts * 12 amps. I never bothered making or finding and adapter as there was no need.)

OP might have a tough time finding NEMA 5-20 and 6-20 in the wild that would be reachable to a Leaf w/o an extension cord. From checking Plugshare, there's very little NEMA 14-50 in the Seattle area that's not residential. By the point where you might have to ask/beg someone at home to use their NEMA 14-50, you may as well include residential J1772.

Back