Poll : Nissan Weighs Three Choices for Next Electric Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which EV do you think Nissan will produce ?

• Pivo : A 3-Seater urban car

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Townpod : A small utility vehicle

Votes: 66 38.2%
  • Esflow : An electric sports car vvv

Votes: 98 56.6%

• Total voters
Watching this video I think the COO is in the ES Flow camp:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKORjKGxvlU[/youtube]

Boomer23 said:
Their opinion is that Nissan is leaning toward the Townpod.
BOOOO! Throw the bums out! We want the ESFLOW! Tell them to just look at our poll results here. 54% FOR THE SPORTS CAR!

TT

Boomer23 said:
LindsayNB said:
Watching this video I think the COO is in the ES Flow camp:

I'm not sure I get that message. IMHO, they just happened to be standing in front of the ESFLOW, so he used it in his response.

Autoblog Green seems to disagree. Their opinion is that Nissan is leaning toward the Townpod.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/12/05/is-the-townpod-the-next-nissan-ev/

I think the article is that AutoBlog Green is leaning towards the Townpod. Not Nissan.

So now there are multiple articles and videos where Nissan execs are saying that a "city car" EV is on the way. OK, I'll play their silly game. Let's assume it's true, then the Infinity EV is not being counted by Nissan and production order looks like this; LEAF, NV Van, City Car, then...??? If this really is the order then PIVO is out since a City Car is next anyways. Or the PIVO has been next all along since it is a city car. Either way, this makes the fight really between TownPod and ESFlow. I could see both doing well in the American market but for very different reasons.

I was just thinking about this today. Couple of questions came to my mind.

1. Total market for small utes is higher than 2 seater sports cars (am assuming, anyone have figures ?). So, to get to same kind of volume, the % of market the car gets has to be higher in the sports car vs ute. Is this possible ? Are sports car enthusiasts also die hard petrol heads ?

2. Infiniti EV. I was always assuming this would be a 5 seater. I saw a link in Tesla forum suggesting it would be a 2 seater sports car. What is it ? If it is a 2 seater, then I think ESFlow is out (or ESFlow is actually the Infiniti EV).

Boomer23 said:
ttweed said:
Boomer23 said:
Their opinion is that Nissan is leaning toward the Townpod.
BOOOO! Throw the bums out! We want the ESFLOW! Tell them to just look at our poll results here. 54% FOR THE SPORTS CAR!

TT

+10!
+11!
The ESFlow must be built, it looks great, should perform quite well, and should get better range per kWh than the LEAF in normal driving, which is what EV's really need to do. There have been a number of other very good reasons presented in this thread as to why Nissan should build the ESFlow. Frankly it's one of the few cars in years that I've actually felt passionate about, and I'm not alone. The Tesla Roadster may have better performance but the ESFlow looks so much better, and should be reasonably affordable as well. Build it!

The problem with the TownPod is that it is a conflicted concept. It is designed as a cross over sport ute. But a sport-ute is used for going places (road trip), carrying things and occasionally towing things. These expectations are in stark contrast to the current state of Nissan battery technology. The Townpod is larger than a LEAF and I would bet heavier (especially if it's a crossover), this means a larger battery, which adds more weight and expense to even achieve 100 miles. Not sure how much it would cost or weight to go 200 miles which this concept demands. The TownPod design highlights pretty much all the things that EV's are not currently good at. It is telling that specs are absent.

The ESFlow, on the other hand, leverages current Nissan technology and pack size to effectively achieve its objective. It is actually a more realistic concept and far more ready for production.

The Townpod doesn't make any sense. The LEAF is already an around the town utility vehicle for me that seats 5.

An SUV or minivan that seats 7? Easily done... as everything can be beneath you - (see Model S) That would be for me.

Or the ESflow.

TRONZ said:
The ESFlow, on the other hand, leverages current Nissan technology and pack size to effectively achieve its objective. It is actually a more realistic concept and far more ready for production.
Exactly right.

Boomer23 said:
I'm not sure I get that message. IMHO, they just happened to be standing in front of the ESFLOW, so he used it in his response.

Right near the end he says "... the new Nissan directions, innovation and excitement for everyone."

I think the ESFLOW embodies those ideas to a greater extent than the TownPod.

It's got ideal qualities for a commuter car, and then you add the attractive styling. With 1.5 times the range of the LEAF, using the same battery pack, it puts that much more territory within range, or cuts down the electricity used for the same distance.

I don't think the TownPod is different enough from a LEAF to be a good choice, and I don't think that category of vehicle is ideal for an EV either.

It's also worth noting that big Nissan news for Tokyo has been a renewed emphasis on Nismo.

Nissan said it will expand its lineup of Nismo models, parts and accessories and move to a new global headquarters in Yokohama, Japan in 2013.

They had several new Nismo concepts on display and seem eager to push the high performance message. Makes sense to me.

TRONZ said:
It's also worth noting that big Nissan news for Tokyo has been a renewed emphasis on Nismo.

I would consider a Nismo Leaf a mid-cycle refresh with a particularly ugly plastic kit of body panels (the front..ughs!).. reminds of some past cars from GM. I could overlook all that with a faster charger of 6.6kw, 5kwh additional battery and a lower price.

A nice long video on the Pimo, and the Juke Nismo at the Tokyo Motor Show

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/12/nissan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;’s-chief-designer-the-juke-is-a-concept-today-but-you-will-see-…/

I've just read through all six pages. First I have to join the group of 2 seaters. Most of the time a commuter car only has no more than two people on board. So the extra seats go empty.

I blieve the ES should be the choice. It is go back to the 240Z which is the car that put Nissan on the map back when it couldn't be called Nissan because that sounded to Jappenese. That was a great car, and people loved it. I would love to have a 1974 240Z right now to restore to like new condition.

What I would like as my next BEV is the ES with a 250 mile range (LA4) (210 interstate @70), at the same price as the 2012 SL. And I want it for MY2015. TN start tooling up now.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/12/13/report-nissan-debating-on-what-its-4th-ev-model-should-be/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“It will be a city car,” declares Andy Palmer, who as Nissan Motor Co. executive vice president for vehicle planning and program management holds considerable sway over the decision. “It will be in the A/B segment. The car would have to be low-cost. It would be a vehicle where you could potentially accept less range, so you could have a smaller battery. And that would bring the price down.”

If that comment isn’t grey area enough, concidering it applies to all three options, Nissan North America has hinted that the fourth EV may not only be for U.S. markets, but may be for the global market. While a crossover would probably be most sucessful in the U.S., a city car would do better in more regions worldwide.

Hmmm. Personally I won't buy a car with lesser range than Leaf. That would force us to use the ICE even within Seattle area.

evnow said:
http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/12/13/report-nissan-debating-on-what-its-4th-ev-model-should-be/

“It will be a city car,” declares Andy Palmer, who as Nissan Motor Co. executive vice president for vehicle planning and program management holds considerable sway over the decision. “It will be in the A/B segment. The car would have to be low-cost. It would be a vehicle where you could potentially accept less range, so you could have a smaller battery. And that would bring the price down.”

If that comment isn’t grey area enough, concidering it applies to all three options, Nissan North America has hinted that the fourth EV may not only be for U.S. markets, but may be for the global market. While a crossover would probably be most sucessful in the U.S., a city car would do better in more regions worldwide.

Hmmm. Personally I won't buy a car with lesser range than Leaf. That would force us to use the ICE even within Seattle area.

you are most likely correct. "we" wont buy an EV with less range, but a large organization cutting costs who can afford to install several QC stations would...

betcha an NEV with a 50-60 mile range would be a prime fleet vehicle candidate. 50 mile range may suck but not if you can refill it for less time than it takes to drop off something in a business setting

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.government-fleet.com%2FNews%2FStory%2F2011%2F11%2FQuick-Charger-Opens-Washington-State-DOT-Fleet-to-EVs.aspx%3Fprestitial%3D1&h=pAQEMFdLgAQFvS9jIh3tv7HyxJ14IeUrHt7oLtFisUQxnkA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

all cities maintain a fleet of vehicles many of which are single person drivers moving "stuff" from place to place. this stuff can frequently be no more than a file or envelop or a box of files

at an estimated 13 cents per mile savings over ICE compacts, EVs make "cents!"

http://www.government-fleet.com/news/story/2011/07/Seattle-Takes-Delivery-of-First-5-of-35-Leafs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a "concept," the Townpod probably has the greatest potential
for max sales.

That said, the current Townpod body design is.... ah... er... well...
flat out fugly;

nissan-townpod3_thumb.jpg

1111301739d3cf131749aa0fc4.jpg

I can't see this kind of cutsey Hello Kitty/blob of Silly Putty design
going over well in the US...
and middle schoolers are too young to get a drivers license.

In my fantasy life, I'd take the ESFlow. But a redesigned Townpod is
more along the lines of what I'd actually buy.

Rokeby said:
As a "concept," the Townpod probably has the greatest potential
for max sales.

That said, the current Townpod body design is.... ah... er... well...
flat out fugly;

nissan-townpod3_thumb.jpg

1111301739d3cf131749aa0fc4.jpg

Thar she blows...

http://www.bcartclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/moby-dick.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back