Poll : Nissan Weighs Three Choices for Next Electric Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which EV do you think Nissan will produce ?

• Pivo : A 3-Seater urban car

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Townpod : A small utility vehicle

Votes: 66 38.2%
  • Esflow : An electric sports car vvv

Votes: 98 56.6%

• Total voters
TRONZ said:
A "signature" if you will. To be crystal clear, 400+ lbs of instant thrust vectored torque in a very low CG, sexy Miata sized car is the ultimate game changer, just like EV's are trying to be in the first place. This is the very definition of synergy. Very important when spooling up a new technology and creating the right public perception.
Well, you are telling Nissan they should go with a Halo car rather than a volume car.

My guess is they will present the prices & volumes (and cost of development) to CG and he will make the final decision. I hope he will ask the m to productionize all of them.

Herm said:
garygid said:
High volume is likely to require a lower-priced car, not a higher-priced cool-looking sports car.

but if you can do both then you replicate the hugely popular pony cars of the late 60s.. the kids today are very green and they dont care much for high performance.. thats why I think Leaf mechanicals will do nicely if you boost the motor a bit and drop a few hundred pounds.

Much more than a few hundred lbs lighter, though I'm skeptical about the "Under 2000 lbs."
statement here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVzBbD_fak&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan GM reiterates, Esflow will:

Be under 2000 lbs weight.

Have about an 120 mile (1.5 x LEAF) range.

Sell at about $40 K price. (25-30 K Euro)

BUILD IT!!!!

evnow said:
Well, you are telling Nissan they should go with a Halo car rather than a volume car.

Not really. They already have the Nissan GT-R @$80K. The ESFlow is half that and be a steal.

TRONZ said:
Not really. They already have the Nissan GT-R @$80K. The ESFlow is half that and be a steal.
I mean a Halo car for the EVs ... (Mark Perry even mentions that)

At first, Mark seemed to be leaning toward the Esflow electric sports car. It is pretty damn cool. “Think of what it could do for the Nissan brand,” he said. “It could be the 240Z of EV.” Although Mark referred to it as the “sexy easy decision,” you have to consider it as the most expensive of the three choices—and therefore likely the lowest volume.

The two-seater is screaming fast by virtue of two electric motors—one for each rear wheel; has 150 miles of range; a dramatic wrap-around windscreen. “That’s a halo,” said Mark.

edatoakrun said:
Much more than a few hundred lbs lighter, though I'm skeptical about the "Under 2000 lbs."
statement here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVzBbD_fak&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps he meant a metric ton, 2200lbs, and he does mention CF and aluminum.. and €30k, sure..

evnow said:
http://www.plugincars.com/tokyo-nissan-weighs-three-choices-next-electric-car-110614.html

Pivo : A 3-Seater urban car
Townpod : A small utility vehicle
Esflow : An electric sports car

Which one would you want, and why ? Which EV do you think Nissan will produce, and why ?
First choice would be the Pivo, because I don't need four/five seats 100% of the time: 95% of the time I'm the only person in the car, 4% of the time it's me and my S.O., 0.9% of the time it's me and my S.O. and our groceries, and I've taken more than one passenger perhaps three times in 5k miles. I suspect the same is true for 99% of drivers. Therefore, I'd want an EV to be as small and light as possible. If Nissan can make it sporty, that's be a big plus. Unfortunately, it looks like the Pivo is relatively too narrow and tall to be sporty.

Second choice would be the ESFlow: it's a two seater, relatively small, hopefully light, and is definitely sporty.

EVDRIVER said:
I Think they will do the ES because they are too conservative. The first car is very cool and would make a great city car. My guess is the ES will also be too costly as rebates will be gone and the car will already carry a premium. I believe there will be a huge market for small high-performance micro cars in the future, fun and practical toys.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 stipulates that a rebate applies to the first 200,000 "qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles" produced by a manufacturer. Whether or not the ESFlow (or any future Nissan EVs) qualifies for a rebate will depend on the number of LEAFs Nissan produces, how soon the new EVs come out, and whether Congress will repeal that Act. One can certainly hope...

For me - it has to look and act somewhat like a car, push close to 250 "Nissan miles" of range, and be in the $30k range - without any rebate. It doesn't look like any of these come close to those three criteria.

aqn said:
and I've taken more than one passenger perhaps three times in 5k miles. I suspect the same is true for 99% of drivers.

I think you're way off there. Our LEAF is our primary car. We often pack four adults and a baby in the LEAF and happily go shopping or out to a meal. Last week I took two friends to lunch. My wife and I take the baby with us often, and at least once a week we have three adults and the baby for a breakfast out. I know several of the regular posters on MNL personally, and many of them have families, including the family of four who came to our last Saturday morning breakfast meetup. I also know several members who are couples like you, but your estimate of the percentage is way off.

evnow said:
I mean a Halo car for the EVs ... (Mark Perry even mentions that)

I don't think the gene pool for BEV's is big enough to worry about this issue yet. The real issue is creating BEV's that people REALLY WANT! I have shown pics of the ESFlow to a few dozen people and every one of them said "oh wow! I want that one!". This is before I even get into the proposed specs. They didn't care, they just wanted it. Passion is very underestimated in this situation. If the ESFlow was produced it would likely outsell the LEAF 5 to 1. And it would be because people love the car, not that it was an EV. That is the place we need to get BEV's to.

At first, Mark seemed to be leaning toward the Esflow electric sports car. It is pretty damn cool. “Think of what it could do for the Nissan brand,” he said. “It could be the 240Z of EV.” Although Mark referred to it as the “sexy easy decision,”

Yup, sex sells. Spool up Smyrna.

Well the EsFlow may be the most attractive, but I'm not convinced sexy == highest volume.

If the Pivo is sub $20k (after rebate or <$200/mo lease) and still gets (a REAL) 100mi/charge, that would be a car that could sell in high numbers especially with a little more capacity.

having driven a 2 seater NEV i have to tell ya, the two seat limitation is EXTREME. the Miles 4 seat NEV is a great idea. so i would think 3 seats would be much more "usable" but have to think that it would have to be 3 "in shape" people

the car does not look like it would take the above averaged sized person of which we seem to have more and more of every day

also, these should be NEV cars. iow, gets 50-60 miles of range. does no more than 50 mph and costs in low 20's before incentives

I'll take an ESFLOW :mrgreen:

In over 12,000 miles, the back seat in our LEAF has only been used twice for passengers.

Hopefully this thread is being followed by Nissan.

The LEAF is a great everyday family car, but for the adventurous couples, we'd like an sporty EV.

One of these would be nice, it seats four.. a 1991 Nissan Figaro.. as seen in the Sarah Jane Smith show:

3213722469_1c3bf57c99_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenjonbro/3213722469/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23 said:
aqn said:
and I've taken more than one passenger perhaps three times in 5k miles. I suspect the same is true for 99% of drivers.

I think you're way off there. Our LEAF is our primary car. We often pack four adults and a baby in the LEAF and happily go shopping or out to a meal.

I also frequently have 3 and 4 people in the car (even 5 a few times). The LEAF is my primary car now (sold the minivan a few weeks ago, since I wasn't driving it).

It needs more range for me. And quick charging infrastructure.

Ya know, this is the second time I have read that Nissan has already committed to making a "city car" EV.

http://i.autoblog.com/2011/11/30/nismo-leaf-nismo-concept-is-a-look-at-the-future-of-performance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Nissan is helping to lead the way with the Leaf and two forthcoming EVs: a small commercial vehicle and an electric city car, both due to arrive in the next few years.

Last I checked Nissan/Infiniti had committed to three EV's; LEAF, Infinity EV and NV Van. The subject of this poll will supposedly be the fourth production EV. Does anyone know what City Car EV Nissan has slated for production? Or are we just seeing different factions at Nissan declaring what they would like to see happen next? Team PIVO vs Team ESFlow?

2:40 into the interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGwyGN0NUj0&feature=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You suppose "city car" = Pivo?

The entire interview is a very encouraging overview of Nissan's ZE strategy, BTW.

TRONZ said:
And Nissan is helping to lead the way with the Leaf and two forthcoming EVs: a small commercial vehicle and an electric city car, both due to arrive in the next few years.

Last I checked Nissan/Infiniti had committed to three EV's; LEAF, Infinity EV and NV Van. The subject of this poll will supposedly be the fourth production EV. Does anyone know what City Car EV Nissan has slated for production? Or are we just seeing different factions at Nissan declaring what they would like to see happen next? Team PIVO vs Team ESFlow?
I guess city car = Pivo. Either it is different factions or bad reporting.

Back