Poll: Is Leaf + 911 convertible > Tesla Model S ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessEV

So based on this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4228

it does seem there are many here who simultaneously enjoy the purity of electric cars like the Leaf AND still enjoy fast/powerful ICE cars.

For the last little while, I've been looking forward to when the 2 can come together in the form of a Tesla Model S. Same all electric purity as the Leaf. Just gorgeous Maserati-ish design (and have you guys seen the auto extending/retracting door handle?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agSUjWsffew). Same price as a BMW 5-series. 7 seater. Pano glass roof. 17inch touch screen. Just so many things to love about it.

With the 230mile battery pack + options, the Model S will come in around 77k, landing at under 70k after the Fed tax credit. My order should be out around end of 12.

By the end of 12, my Leaf will have a residual value of around 18k. My 911S conv will be worth around 50 if I'm lucky. In total, very close in combined value as a new Model S.

Leaf is more utilitarian as a low profile tool around town car
Leaf probably has better miles/kWh than the Model S
Leaf has poorer range, but then I can just pull out the 911
Model S has a pano roof, which in many ways is close to having a convertible
911 is just so much more pure as a raw sports car though.
I was totally on the path of "convergence" and switching over completely to the Model S but I'm really wondering if 2 separate, dedicated tools (1 for utility, 1 for performance) is better than 1 slightly compromised 2in1 gorgeously designed tool.

Ignoring new car risk and Tesla-still-being-around-risk, which is a better choice?
Is Leaf+911 > Tesla Model S?

It sounds like you have a handle on most of the factors that make that an interesting comparison.

One thought though - the Model S would give you 'cred' for all types.
If you show up in the Model S, the sports sedan fans would cheer, & the EV fans would cheer.
If you show up in the Porsche, you won't be looking 'green'.
If you show up in the Leaf, the performance car, high style car people won't get excited.

Another way to look at it:
Do you need carpool stickers on your longer Road trips?
Do you need an eye-catching car with serious acceleration when driving your EV around town?

I am in the same 'boat' with a Leaf, and a gas sports sedan for long trips when needed.
I don't think I would trade them both in to get the Model S though because:
The Model S seems to be a rather large car, and I would constantly worry about door dings trying to make daily errands into compact parking spaces.

So, I think the answer depends on subtle details of your lifestyle and where you plan to drive and park your vehicles.

Indeed, an interesting conundrum, Jess.

When Tesla announced the model S, I came VERY close to putting down a deposit, but concerns about their survival (ex: Aptera) and others made me hesitate.

When the Leaf was actually released, I went with the lease vs buy 'cause of newness, etc, but after driving it for a month, am loving the experience. It's a great little around-town car, handles and performs Great on winding, uphill mountain roads, etc, etc. So starting to weigh purchasing at lease end very seriously. I've been eyeing Buick's Enclave for longer distance touring, but hate the thought of the dreadful mileage and getting locked back into the whole oil and gas yuck. So have begun pondering the model S again, thinking that just might be my 2nd car.

As was mentioned though, I wouldn't park the model S at the typical grocery store demolition-derby parking lot! Difficult decisions for many of us here, I expect. Good luck!

I have a Boxster S and until recently a Civic GX (which I'll be replacing with a LEAF). I personally love the idea of having two cars, though it's not always easy in practice. Like you, I thought about skipping the LEAF, selling the Boxster, and then getting the Tesla Model S. However, the more I thought about the idea of having one nice car, the more I think having two cars makes more sense. Here are my thoughts on it:

a) As stated by other members, an inexpensive econo-box car is great for putting around town with because you're less concerned with what happens to it. That's also true for hauling things too, I'll throw my bike in an econo-car without hesitation, but I wouldn't in a luxury car.

b) For those long trips having convenient access to a ICE car is nice.

c) I don't know about you, but having two cars on low-mileage (less than 7500 miles a year) insurance policies is actually cheaper than having one car on a regular insurance policy!

d) It's like what my dad used to say, "You gotta have the right tool for the job." Convertibles are just damn fun cars and no pano-moonroof is going to be quite like having a convertible. And the LEAF is just a great all around car. It won't send your heart a flutter, but it's damn good at getting anyone around town!

So yes, I do think that a LEAF + 911s is better than a Tesla Model S.

They'll have to pry my 911 keys out of my cold, dead hands. No electric car, even the Tesla Roadster, can yet replace it for pure driving pleasure. For me, the answer is a Leaf for utility and a 911 for fun. The Tesla S looks like a beautiful car, but doesn't make sense to me at $70K.

YMMV,
TT

I'd be hard pressed to give up our Hybrid Highlander just yet.

We've been through quite a conundrum figuring out which combination of cars will truly suit our needs as our family has grown to two adults and two babies. We thought we had settled on a Jetta and a Highlander, that was until the Leaf actually became a reality. Ever since 911 I have owned various TDI Jettas, and used Bio-diesel for many years until the price of bio-diesel shot up causing reported food shortages in the third world and, at the end of the day, it was still an ICE. We first owned a 2000 sedan, then a 2006 sedan, then a 2009 sport wagon, which got totaled and replaced with a 2010 sport wagon. We absolutely loved the panoramic sunroof and it was very difficult to let go, but we just couldn't hack continuing to support big oil. The BP oil spill pushed us over the edge and ultimately, Diesels just don't like being driven short jaunts, barely getting warmed up before being then turned off again. As we both migrated to working at home and no longer had big commutes, it just no longer made sense to keep the Diesel. Also, it seems that over the years VW lowered their TDI's fuel efficiency while Toyota increased the hybrid Highlander to the point where it has almost the same gas millage (28mpg) as the TDI did being driven in stop and go :eek: . For the most part, we have made out remarkably well buying clean technology vehicles and selling and moving up, only spending a few thousand a year to own new cars! ... in part because of the rebates.

We are keeping the highlander for now, it has great towing capacity and can be filled up with 7 people and or a lot of luggage/outdoor gear and it's a great ride, not a 911, but nice and roomy and smooth and powerful in it's own right.

As for the Tesla S, I'm afraid to say they are day late and a dollar long. Obviously in a class of it's own, the car will surely be a sight to behold and may maintain a niche market. The battery options drive the price up a lot and I wonder if just about the time the S is available if Nissan and others don't find a way to make the batteries much more cheaply making the cost per mile hard to compete with. I feel like Tesla somehow got behind right out of the gate, at least in terms of creating a vehicle that can compete in the mass market. If they came out with the S last year, when we were seriously drooling over the specs, we might have taken out a second loan on our house to make the purchase, but now that the Leaf is out and in our possession, I don't see us making huge sacrifices for another car that can't meet our long distance needs. They'd have to come out with a 500 Mile pack at 77K to get us back in the game... something that would possibly replace our highlander, able to be driven all day with only one QC on route.

I'd say keep the 911 for now, battery prices will surely be coming down in the next 3-5 years, and lots of new options will likely be available.
g

Back