Poll : How will you power your LEAF ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What will be the source of electricity for your Leaf ?

• Solar

Votes: 118 45.9%
  • Green Power from Utility

Votes: 36 14.0%
  • Utility Power

Votes: 101 39.3%
  • Others

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
i chose regular power but...

i could have chosen green ultility but... on the links, it lists WA as 75% hydro, 8 % coal, 5 % other green, etc. well, i dont doubt that is the statewide average but that does not apply to me.

Puget Power sends us quarterly newsletters and our power sources have been very static for quite a while.

during peak hours 10 am to 7 PM; we are actually about 58% hydro, 35% coal. at night we are nearly 100% renewable. over in Eastern WA or most of the state Except western wa area between Everett and Olympia, they are pretty much 100 % hydro/wind.

now i guess i could program the timer to only run when we are primarily renewable. Puget Power times run off peak starting at 8 PM but with running 110 volt only, i will probably plug in as much as i can as often as i can.

most of the time, it wont be an issue since i will be doing 20-30 miles a day for about 4 days a week. but will also be doing a minimum of 60 miles 1-2 days a week and being able to sufficiently recharge after those days i dont think will be a problem, but at the same time, i am not going to wait for any specific time since here is quantity of use and not time of day

**note** i am impressed with Vermonts 99.9 % green renewable power well if nuclear is considered green that is. but zero coal, zero natural gas and .1% oil is still pretty awesome!

I've had solar supplying slightly > 100% of my electricity needs for the past 2 years (a 2.8kW system on a single family home, with a family size of 1). Excess get's reimbursed from PGE for 2010 - yahoo! However, once my LEAF is charging in the garage I expect to drop into negative territory (as I see it anyway). After a year or so, I will analyze usage to see if it is cost effective to add a panel or two to cover the LEAF usage (probably about 5000 miles a year, maybe more). It may never pay off, with the cheap CA E-9 rate I will be getting.

LindaK said:
I've had solar supplying slightly > 100% of my electricity needs for the past 2 years (a 2.8kW system on a single family home, with a family size of 1). Excess get's reimbursed from PGE for 2010 - yahoo! However, once my LEAF is charging in the garage I expect to drop into negative territory (as I see it anyway). After a year or so, I will analyze usage to see if it is cost effective to add a panel or two to cover the LEAF usage (probably about 5000 miles a year, maybe more). It may never pay off, with the cheap CA E-9 rate I will be getting.

I believe that plan takes effect in 2011. If you true up jan 2011 you will get the surplus for all from jan 2010. If you trued up prior to dec 31 2010 you will get nothing and start fresh to be paid in dec 2011.

I have a 4kW PV system. Given its angle, location, shading, the weather here... it produces enough to power a car like the LEAF about 15,000 miles per year.

Gonewild said:
You can lease a system from Solarcity.
A friend of mine just got a Solarcity install under the new Oregon feed-in tariff (FiT) rules. It was a sweet deal for him. He paid zero out of pocket, he gets net metering (meaning when he feeds the grid a kWh, he can later take a kWh out for free). Solarcity gets the FiT rate ($0.54) for every kWh that goes on to the grid. The utility gets to charge him for the power from the PV system that he uses (lease payment) and the utility gets all the renewable energy credits (RECs) that the system generates, this helps them meet the clean energy goals that were legislated. Triple win score.

You can read more about his system and see pictures here: http://celticsolar.blogspot.com/2010/11/making-portland-solar-city.html

Round 2 of the Oregon FiT pilot is opening up soon.

patrick0101 said:
A friend of mine just got a Solarcity install under the new Oregon feed-in tariff (FiT) rules. It was a sweet deal for him. He paid zero out of pocket, he gets net metering (meaning when he feeds the grid a kWh, he can later take a kWh out for free). Solarcity gets the FiT rate ($0.54) for every kWh that goes on to the grid. The utility gets to charge him for the power from the PV system that he uses (lease payment) and the utility gets all the renewable energy credits (RECs) that the system generates, this helps them meet the clean energy goals that were legislated. Triple win score.
Interesting - looks like that $0.54 swings the balance. If & when they come to WA I'd get them.

evnow said:
Interesting - looks like that $0.54 swings the balance. If & when they come to WA I'd get them.
Man at $0.54 / kWh one can make a HUGE profit over the life of the system.

Around here a 1 kW (DC) system will generate about 1450 kWh/year - or at $0.54 / kWh $756 worth of credits a year.

Going price for a 1 kW system is between $5-$7 / kW (DC), so break even is between 7-10 years - and that doesn't take into account the 30% federal tax credit!

Given that your typical system will last at least 10 years without any major maintenance expense (inverters are warranted to last 10 years - panels are warranted for 25 years to generate at least 80% of their nameplate value) it's an extremely low risk investment. There is no way I'd give that money to a 3rd party - I'd make sure I buy that system myself.

drees said:
Given that your typical system will last at least 10 years without any major maintenance expense (inverters are warranted to last 10 years - panels are warranted for 25 years to generate at least 80% of their nameplate value) it's an extremely low risk investment. There is no way I'd give that money to a 3rd party - I'd make sure I buy that system myself.
But in NW the equation is different. For the same panel, we make about half the energy compared to SoCal / AZ.

evnow said:
drees said:
But in NW the equation is different. For the same panel, we make about half the energy compared to SoCal / AZ.
True - you guys should be cutting the FIT payment in half and sending the money down here, instead. :) Would get double the amount of solar power for the same price. :)

I don't think it's really half, though is it? Maybe only on the coast?

Edit: Ran the numbers - 1 kW of PV in Seattle is good for about 1000 kWh/year - 1 kW of PV in San Diego is good for about 1500 kWh/year.

Good thing you guys have all that hydro power. :)

drees said:
Around here a 1 kW (DC) system will generate about 1450 kWh/year - or at $0.54 / kWh $756 worth of credits a year.
Note that the $0.54 is only on the energy that flows into the grid. Much of what the system generates is going to go from the inverter directly to the house. So to get the tariff, you need a system that can, at least during peak sun, generate more than the house uses. You are right, $0.54 is a good deal and it's the reason that Solarcity can afford to "give away" the solar panels and install them for free. About 1/3rd of what my system generates goes into the grid. The system I mentioned above is about 2X as big and has a better angle. So they will be spinning the meter backwards plenty (especially this summer).

drees said:
Edit: Ran the numbers - 1 kW of PV in Seattle is good for about 1000 kWh/year - 1 kW of PV in San Diego is good for about 1500 kWh/year.
AZ is even better. Ofcourse, We've tall trees too.

Green power costs me $10 more than usual. Much better than $30K PV.

Getting quotes on a PV system over the next couple of weeks. Early numbers are quite encouraging. I am planning to get something, just don't know how large a system yet. Aiming for 75% - 100% of prime time usage. Non-prime usage is so inexpensive that it doesn't pay to cover that. I will post further progress on the project as I learn more. Here, Net Metering covers on-peak and off-peak separately. That's really great.

for colder climates, you can use one of those Honda co-generation house plants to both provide electricity, heat and hot water from piped-in NG. These things are 86% efficient.

Herm said:
for colder climates, you can use one of those Honda co-generation house plants to both provide electricity, heat and hot water from piped-in NG. These things are 86% efficient.

Yeah, those are great IF you have ng. Not so great when you have no access to it.

Should I get one, Mine will be all off the grid, and since I'm in GA, largely coal fired at that.
:shock:

Might be a good time to look into solar...

Has anybody that has installed a residential PV system in 2010 and gotten a check from the electric utility and then a 1099 to tax the refund that you received? Last year with a solar hot water system the rebate was not taxable and now for 2010 the utility is saying it is taxable by the Feds.

Depending on your climate there are some super efficient heat pumps made by Fujitsu and Mitsubishi. We purchased two, one in cooling mode is 9,000 BTU with a SEER of 26 and the second one is 12,000 BTU with a SEER of 25. If you have an open house plan they work very well and together at full output only consume less than 2,000 watts. They also will generate useful heat down to 5 degrees above zero and below. We have had nights as cold as 1 degree above zero and the house stayed at 68 degrees. One might take these into consideration as a non polluting heat source that can be powered by PV but you'll need to be tied to the grid or else some sort of overnight electrical supply. :)

Many folks don't know what the % mix is of the electricity they use. Some utilities are an even blend, while some rely primarily on fossil fuel. Anyway, I had to post under the "others" section, because if at all possible, I'll charge FOR FREEEEE at work! Anaheim (where I work) has their own power company and it's far from green. They missed their 2009 goal to be 9% green, and since they're basically buying power from other providers (in CA) the mix of electricity is everything from coal to nuke, hydro, natural gas, wind, PV and the like. So, that's why I say, "other". Free is good. Work re-charge is good. Our home EVSE is grid tied PV . . . . but since the commute to Anaheim is only 38 miles round trip, I can refill at one of the designated EV parking spaces. Even at their provided 120V ports the recharge will get me home and back to work w/out having to use the home PV setup. btw ... it's very cool to see the high percentage of folks planning to PV recharge.

I went ahead and voted even though I don't have my Leaf yet (should be able to FINALLY order on Sept 29 (in Co)).

I just got a 6.02 kWh system installed on my house 3 weeks ago so I'm all set to charge on solar when the Leaf finally arrives (hopefully Jan/Feb time frame) :D

P.S. I oversized the system. My yearly use is ~7.2 MWh. I calculated with my driving I'd need 9 MWh / year. Currently (only 18 days of data so not conclusive by any means) I am on track to produce 10.38 MWh. If this holds true, I oversized my system by 2 panels more than I desired... not a bad thing though, that'll be enough when we replace the other car with at least a plugin (if not a full EV).

Currently at 47% Solar. Wow that's a very high number!! I'm astounded.

I hope to get Obama bucks to help with a solar install next year. Currently I feel dirty answering my LEAF is powered via Utility power. I can hear the critics now, you are polluting the US with coal!! Hopefully not much longer.

JP

JPWhite said:
Currently at 47% Solar. Wow that's a very high number!! I'm astounded.

Keep in mind that that's 47% of those who chose to answer the poll. I suspect there's a lot more interest/turnout from those who have or will have solar and the number of Leaf's actually powered by solar is far lower.

Back