Poll - Batteries Replaced Under the Capacity Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myleaf

I would like to start a poll on the batteries replaced under the battery capacity warranty.

Broken out by state.

AZ
TX
CA
FL
Other

Besides the state (city), it would be interesting if the poll also included the age of the LEAF (months or date of purchase), mileage and battery info (e.g., Ahr capacity, Hx) if available.

linkim said:
Besides the state (city), it would be interesting if the poll also included the age of the LEAF (months or date of purchase), mileage and battery info (e.g., Ahr capacity, Hx) if available.

I am not sure if this can be done in a poll. Could be added as a section in the Nissan Leaf Wiki or some master list.

The number of batteries replaced in Florida should be zero, but that's only because, unlike the other states on the list, Florida was a Tier 2 state (our first deliveries were the 2012s, rather than the 2011s). Of course, it's always possible a imported 2011 will have had, or soon will need, a battery replacement.

But, given how things are progressing with the 2012s, there should be a flurry of replacements starting late this year.

Assuming they spend their entire life in the state, I can't imagine any of the 2012-2014 models not having their batteries replaced at least once during the warranty period.

What have you come up with as to how many cars had batteries replaced under warranty

after 3 years, 25,000 I have 10 bars

How to guess when I will be at 8 bars and get free replacement?

I wonder what is going on with my Leaf's battery. Nissan did the software update and from my stats, I would have thought I would have lost another bar by now.

I have been keeping screenshots from Leaf Spy Pro.

I had 10 bars a year ago, still have 10 with pretty large drops across the board:

Jan 2014:
8400 miles, SOH 86, Ahr 56.9, Hx 73.65

Jan 2015:
27,600 miles, SOH 73, Ahr 48.07, Hx 52.74

Doesn't that seem a little odd? I'd also like to know specs at replacement time.

Based on Ahr capacity that's a 15-16% loss. And look at that huge Hx loss.

beachfitrob said:
I wonder what is going on with my Leaf's battery. Nissan did the software update and from my stats, I would have thought I would have lost another bar by now.

I have been keeping screenshots from Leaf Spy Pro.

I had 10 bars a year ago, still have 10 with pretty large drops across the board:

Jan 2014:
8400 miles, SOH 86, Ahr 56.9, Hx 73.65

Jan 2015:
27,600 miles, SOH 73, Ahr 48.07, Hx 52.74

Doesn't that seem a little odd? I'd also like to know specs at replacement time.

Based on Ahr capacity that's a 15-16% loss. And look at that huge Hx loss.

8 AHr is a little more than I've been loosing. I've been dropping around 6 AHr a year, but the temperature variance between your location and mine might be enough to explain that. Hx/Hlth for me has been dropping like a stone since the software update, I think that's by design (but don't know why).

beachfitrob said:
Jan 2015: 27,600 miles, SOH 73, Ahr 48.07, Hx 52.74

You will be losing that third bar any day now, depending upon how hot it is and how deeply you are cycling the battery. Theoretically, third bar loss is at 72.5% SOH.
I was down to 75% a couple weeks ago, but for some reason now I am back to 76%. :? If there is one 4 bar loser in Florida that I know of, its probably JupiterLeaf. Last I knew, 6+ months ago, he had already lost his 3rd bar. I don't see he could be making his daily commute anymore, unless he, like several other Florida owners, has already traded it and moved on. Even at 2 bar loss he told me he could no longer do any errands at lunch time.

With my LEAF, I lost the first bar before getting the software update (way back in June 2013) and it took for fricken ever for the second bar to fall. I was, easily, down 23-24% over the entire summer 2014 and the bar didn't finally fall until just a couple of weeks ago (especially surprising since I've only driven the car about 170 miles in the past four months).

Since Nissan's warranty goes by number of bars, I think it's a software trick to delay the inevitable as long as possible. I feel sorry for Southern California LEAF owners. So many of them are going to cross the 60,000-mile mark just before the fourth bar is gone.

I live in Houston so I expect the coming summer to hit it hard.

They changed the Blink chargers at work to non-free so I charge to 100% at home since I am not going to pay $2.40 an hour for 3.3kw charging. I use 110V at work and it's enough to get me back. So my charge habits aren't to 80% unless it's weekends or I'm not working that day.

No one uses the chargers because it's a 15-20 min bus ride to the parking lot both ways and who's going to spend their lunchtime doing that? And paying 8 times the going rate for electricity is ridiculous but I digress.

Back