Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has a bunch of them too. Most are nissan dealers and should be listed in the nav system.

http://g.co/maps/ss3zw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frank999 said:
Hello! I'm new to the forum and just got my Nissan Leaf on Oct 31st. I've had it for almost a month and live here in Phoenix.
I was wondering if someone could post the link to a map with all the chargers in the Valley? Is there anything? I have Plugshare on my phone, but none of the stations that were mentioned in the last few weeks are on my map.
Thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum Frank! There are two DC Quick Chargers located at the ECOtality building on 3rd Ave. and Buchanan. They aren't on the map yet, but should be soon because the old handles have been replaced. However, you can go there M-F from 8AM-4:20PM (gates close at 5), ring their bell to get a tech, and if they're not 'testing' them, use one of them. Earlier today, they were doing some upgrading and testing and weren't available for our use until later in the afternoon. If you go there and you can't QC, you can usually use one of their L2s. The day Rick was there, he was using the only available L2 (out of 4) at the time. I offered to use one of those instead of the QC, but the lady said not of the others were working that day. They do a lot of 'tweaking' on them during the week. That's why she let me have a 7 minute QC which was around 40% (30% on my SOC gauge).

Thanks for the replies everyone. This has been very helpful. It's nice to know that there are others on here willing to help out. I will definitely make it a point to try and QC at the ECOtality building.

Frank

LEAFfan said:
frank999 said:
Hello! I'm new to the forum and just got my Nissan Leaf on Oct 31st. I've had it for almost a month and live here in Phoenix.
I was wondering if someone could post the link to a map with all the chargers in the Valley? Is there anything? I have Plugshare on my phone, but none of the stations that were mentioned in the last few weeks are on my map.
Thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum Frank! There are two DC Quick Chargers located at the ECOtality building on 3rd Ave. and Buchanan. They aren't on the map yet, but should be soon because the old handles have been replaced. However, you can go there M-F from 8AM-4:20PM (gates close at 5), ring their bell to get a tech, and if they're not 'testing' them, use one of them. Earlier today, they were doing some upgrading and testing and weren't available for our use until later in the afternoon. If you go there and you can't QC, you can usually use one of their L2s. The day Rick was there, he was using the only available L2 (out of 4) at the time. I offered to use one of those instead of the QC, but the lady said not of the others were working that day. They do a lot of 'tweaking' on them during the week. That's why she let me have a 7 minute QC which was around 40% (30% on my SOC gauge).

Yeah, Ecotality is showing five offline chargers now so I'm suspecting the fast charger is the 5th. I went back by there this week and found no one there so I just pulled up to the quick charger and plugged in, it clunked on and I walked away to go grab a sandwich around the corner (there's a Jimmy Johns and a Five Guys burgers a few blocks away by the court house). I think I got about 20 miles and then they turned the power off. When I got back there was another white Leaf parked next to me, the fast charger was off and there was a laptop sitting next to it... I'm guessing they were tweaking. I only really needed that 20 mile boost anyway. I managed 80 miles at 5.7 mi/kwh that day and totaled around 115 miles total!

The chargers there all are now asking you to verify your zip code before they will charge. I have an off the record card and an on the record registered card, I'd only been using the unregistered card to that point. The one day I used the level 2 I used my unregistered card and it worked just fine. When I used the fast charger though I tried the unregistered card and it wouldn't verify, but the registered card worked just fine. Curiously both screens were off by about a number so I had to press the number below the one I wanted to press.

So with the new chargers at the Kohls, I figured I'd finally register my blink card that I got a long while ago. A few days after I registered it, I got another in the mail.

Last night we went to the Zoo Lights and I saw there were two nearby stations, one just to the north at the botanical gardens and one just to the south at the SRP building. Unfortunately none were close enough to plug into and still get to the zoo. Well maybe the SRP one, but I wasn't going to make my SO walk that far. So I checked them both out after we left the zoo.

The botanical gardens has one charger next to the row of handicapped parking. It was clearly marked and no one was parked in the spot. Unfortunately the two spots on either side were taken (they are not marked) so there is no sharing of the charger. I first tried to hold my whole wallet up to the Blink, it beeped, but then it said there was an error. Guess I have other cards with RFID tags. I took the card out and it authorized no problem. I plugged in just for a second so it would get added to the nav. I then tried the other card I was sent and it worked as well. <shrug>

BG_Blink.jpg

I went to the SRP chargers and didn't have as much luck there. There are two chargers, A full size one and a vertically challenged one. I authorized the first one and plugged in. The charger made some weird noise and said "failed self test". I tried it one more time and did the same thing. So I moved to the other charger, which up until that point I didn't realize the screen was totally off. It was dead. It seemed powered, but it was locked up with a blank screen. Blink does say one is offline, but doesn't detect the problem with the other.

Oddly enough, last night for the first time ever, my car did not fully charge. It got to 7 of 12, stopped and never started again. Glad I don't have anywhere far to go.

Also a weird oddity, but this I noticed earlier in the day... Some of us with early cars had a bug that would revert the startup chimes back to the default. For a long time the setting to turn off the chimes "stuck" and the chimes stayed off.. Well the bug is back. Out of the blue the chimes returned.

This coupled with the incomplete charge makes me wonder if there is something else going on...like updated firmware pushed to the car.

I've gotten incomplete charge of 7 out of 12 bars for 80% often. I started a few threads on MNL about it. If you try to force charging again at this state of 7/12, you'll get to 8/12 in a few minutes only. That tells me that it's already so close to the stopping point anyway, but there must be 2 different meters at play here that are close but slightly off to each other, where one meter thinks it's already reached 8/12 but the other meter is still on 7/12 but very close to 8/12.

After I've established that I can reach 8/12 in only a few minutes from where the charging stopped, I'm no concerned anymore about this problem and just chalk it up as a round off/accuracy issue.

With all the weirdness going on, you got me thinking that maybe something got reset, so I just checked to be sure. My charge timers are and always have been set to 100%.

Odd you mention this. I did a 'timer override' last night to charge to 100% today, and it only did 9/12 bars. Wouldn't have mentioned it, except for other people noting an oddity. Wonder if there was some sort of Blink system glitch. Perhaps just a coincidence.

Got home after work, and the Blink charger wouldn't start charging. Looked at it, and the screen shows 'Charging delayed', and it was delayed around 3:08 AM. Working OK after a reboot of the Blink.

BTW, The Blink map shows that the Blink charger in Casa Grande is active, off of I10. This is at the old outlet mall there, I believe.

Looked at that, and it is 38 miles from Chandler to that charger, then 68 miles from there to a charger in Tucson. So, with careful non-75mph driving, it should be possible to make it to Tucson, as long as you can endure a 'layover' charging stop for 4-5 hours at Casa Grande!

Saw that the Casa Grande stations are showing up now. Too bad that mall is kind of on it's way out since they built another mall just about a mile or two south.

I've also had the one bar short on an 80% charge a few times. Unplugging and replugging for the short amount of time it will run for will get you that last bar. I believe if you complain of the chime coming back on Nissan will replace one of the body ECU's that controls the noise and it should be fixed.

We have a "Phoenix Loop" that I defined as our official test route for testing our vehicles. I've driven this loop countless times but haven't in a while.

We are testing a new vehicle and I started driving the route again. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a leaf along it. It's a silver one hiding in between a couple RVs south of Deer Valley airport.

Anyone here?

turbo2ltr said:
Anyone here?

Not me, but in the "recent leaf sightings" category, I'm very happy to report seeing two more leafs in the central phoenix area. A silver parked in front of The Garage (restaurant) on Bethany Home and 16th St. last Saturday, and a blue one driving on 7th St. just south of Northern Avenue.

I followed the blue one as he pulled into a condo complex and spoke with him briefly. He bought the demo from Coulter Nissan just before Thanksgiving.

turbo2ltr said:
We have a "Phoenix Loop" that I defined as our official test route for testing our vehicles. I've driven this loop countless times but haven't in a while.

We are testing a new vehicle and I started driving the route again. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a leaf along it. It's a silver one hiding in between a couple RVs south of Deer Valley airport.

Anyone here?
I frequently drive in the vicinity of Deer Valley airport, but do not make a habit of hiding between RVs.

Gerry

phxsmiley said:
Looks like we will get some new charging stations in Peoria. These will be some of the first ones for the west valley! Important for us, as we visit family and friends in that area, and the drive from Chandler needs a boost to get back!

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ing-stations-electric-cars-coming-peoria.html
That's good to hear. When I go visit family or friends far enough away that requires a boost, I just ask them to let me charge at their house. With an evseupgrade.com box and a Quick220, I can usually obtain a charge equivalent to plugging in to my Blink in my garage. Although it's not as convenient as a public station because I have to set things up, at least I don't have to park at a public station for several hours, so the inconvenience washes out. But the more options, the better for everyone!

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the Quick220. Did you upgrade to the 'Rev2' or keep it at 'Rev1'? The 'Rev2' and Quick220 would require 20A outlets, which I'm not sure I'd always have.

Have your friends/family been OK with you charging at their house?

phxsmiley said:
I was thinking of doing the same thing with the Quick220. Did you upgrade to the 'Rev2' or keep it at 'Rev1'? The 'Rev2' and Quick220 would require 20A outlets, which I'm not sure I'd always have.

Have your friends/family been OK with you charging at their house?
I have Rev2. Usually garages and kitchens are equipped with 20A outlets anyway for tools and appliances that can be high power draw. It's mostly the bedrooms that are on 15A.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask family. With friends, it depends on how close I am with them. Normally I don't visit anybody that far away unless I'm close to them anyway. My son has charged it at his friends' house, too, with no problem.

I charged publicly last night for the first time...thank you Blink! I didn't really need it, but I thought I'd try it out while it was still free. There are two Blinks right outside the entrance to the Kierland Westin. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable and they kept the keys in case they needed to move it or in case there was an emergency. One of the Blinks was on the blink (common, I hear!) but the one I used woke right up after I swiped my RFID card and she charged perfectly. We walked over to Kierland Commons for some dinner. The portecache at the hotel was swarmed with people and lots of folks were curious. At first I thought it was a dumb place for the units, but they get lots of exposure being way up front like that.

Back