Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phxsmiley said:
Anyone else try the QuickCharge in downtown Phoenix yet? Not a very convenient place, but it's a start!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6652

I've used it. I'll post some pics. Ecotality guys are great.

How is the center of the valley and downtown Phoenix not a convenient place? Lots of people and central location - accessible from all parts of the valley. I used to live in and still own a house in Chandlrr. Talk about an inconvenient place...

shrink said:
I've used it.

What did you set it to? If you set it to '90%', did you get the same results as me (nine bars/89% on the QCharger)? How many bars did you have when you started your charge? Thanks!

LEAFfan said:
I've QCd three times now so far and have found out some interesting info. I need to set it to 90% to get close to an 80% charge. It still is less than 30 minutes from one to bars to nine. Also, after my third QC, I charged with the L2 Blink from 5-10 bars (80%) and this time my gauge read 81.4%! It usually reads 76.8% after an 80% charge. I'm thinking that the QCs are balancing my pak as charging to 100% with the L2 hasn't made much difference.

It's probably just the opposite. Quick charging will make unbalanced cells more unbalanced because there is no time to balance. Quick charging would also raise battery temps higher than a normal L2 charge, affecting capacity.

turbo2ltr said:
LEAFfan said:
I've QCd three times now so far and have found out some interesting info. I need to set it to 90% to get close to an 80% charge. It still is less than 30 minutes from one to bars to nine. Also, after my third QC, I charged with the L2 Blink from 5-10 bars (80%) and this time my gauge read 81.4%! It usually reads 76.8% after an 80% charge. I'm thinking that the QCs are balancing my pak as charging to 100% with the L2 hasn't made much difference.
It's probably just the opposite. Quick charging will make unbalanced cells more unbalanced because there is no time to balance. Quick charging would also raise battery temps higher than a normal L2 charge, affecting capacity.

All I know is that I get a better charge now using my Blink L2 after QCing than I did when just using my L2 and charging to 100%. There is no evidence that 100% charging balances the battery pack any better than other percentages. But the EEs at the QC station told me that it is possible that QC will balance the cells. It never goes above '6' on the battery temp bars while QC charging or after, so I don't believe that's a problem at all. I've never had '80%' on my gauge after an 80% charge until AFTER I started QCing. So how is a lower number on my gauge better than a higher one that I'm getting now (over 80%)? It gives me more miles with the higher number! If it were unbalancing as you suggest and affecting capacity, I wouldn't be getting a higher % and I surely wouldn't be getting more miles from a charge. When my cells weren't balanced using just L2, I always had 76.8%.

I just tried the QC at ECOtality yesterday. I charged to 90% to see if the same thing happened as others reported. Sure enough the car read 10 bars, or 83%. Which I believe is correct. At 90% it would still fall under the 92% that 11 bars is supposed to indicate. It seemed to be a fat 10 bars because the last regen circle was not doubled. It normally is doubled when I charge to 80%. The guys at ECOtality were very kind and helpful... kudos to them.

Volusiano said:
Is the QC station at Ecotality open during business hours only? Or is it available to the public 24/7?

the gate is locked at 5 pm. you could get a charge between 8 a m and 430 p m monday through friday .

sent with speech to text

Hi,

Has anyone signed up for or thinking about participating in the SRP Community Solar plan? More info is at srpcommunitysolar.com. I am thinking of participating.

myleaf said:
Hi,

Has anyone signed up for or thinking about participating in the SRP Community Solar plan? More info is at srpcommunitysolar.com. I am thinking of participating.
I used their calculator to see if there'd be any gain for me to make use of it or not, and unfortunately it showed that I wouldn't have any gain to justify buying in.

:mrgreen: My company is installing 11 new BLINK charging station. 3 will be at Deer Valley rd and 19th ave where I work and 5 downtown on 2nd st. The other 3 are in Scottsdale or Mesa not user. :mrgreen:

Blinks are being installed FREE of CHARGE. :mrgreen:

I am looking forword to only 80% charging and all the fun of the extra perks.

If your company wants free equipment and installation let me know I have a contact # but the equipment needs to be started before Dec 31. :mrgreen:

Gonewild what do I need to use to pay for a charge @ 19th Deervalley? I live @ 151 ave Deervalley and may need a charge one day..I would like to see some chargers put back @ Costco or the malls..

I checked out the Kohls chargers yesterday..just did a drive by. There are 4 chargers including one vertically challenged one. The blinknetwork website said one was in use, but it only took me maybe 5 minutes to get there and there was no one there. It still says one is in use so I think that's an error.

It finally gave me a reason to activate my blink RFID card.

Unfortunately thats not a super great area of town. My guess they will be vandalized quickly.

I went to Ecotality on Friday hoping to use the fast charger and they told me no, there was some sort of event wrapping up, but one of you guys was there in a red car using it when I got back from lunch. Hi by the way, I'm Rick. All well, I got almost an hour charge on Level 2 and it was more than enough to get back from Tempe. The chargers there are showing offline, but I think they are testing new software because those chargers asked for a zip code to be entered, I'm guessing to verify you are the owner of the card. Ironically I used my non-registered card, but I have a feeling this "feature" is coming soon.

Kohls at 19th and Bell, I went by there earlier last week and used it while I went and ate at Filli B's. Yes one is showing in use so I think they are having an issue with their system. These spaces are properly marked EV only too! They are also showing stations at the 99th Ave and Lower Buckeye Kohls, but I haven't ventured down that way yet.

The other Ecotailty office at 2nd St south of Roosevelt has three chargers which are accessible 24/7. There's a bar I like to go to two buildings down called the Roosevelt and it's a convenient location. Not that I need the charge, but hey it's free. Funny enough they have a motion sensor speaker under the adjacent parking cover which say "you are trespassing" when you walk by it.

Yes Blink chargers are popping up all over the place!

Another Blink charger to check out is up at the Anthem outlet mall. My wife and I have taken a couple nice drives up to the Anthem outlet mall now (about 60 miles). The chargers are in the parking lot, in back of the mall. There is a nice indoor lounge right there, with WiFi for us guys, in case you're not into the shopping.

And right now, they have the nation's largest Christmas tree:

http://www.outletsanthem.com/go/Poolb.cfm?MallID=798&FPURLID=2129976503

I saw those Blink units from the freeway last weekend on a trip to Tucson for Thanksgiving. They aren't listed on the Blink map yet, but I'm guessing they're on? That site is an old charging station that was in during the 90's so people could drive EV1's between Phoenix and Tucson and I'm glad to see it being kept alive.

Now question for you, this site had a box which had standard NEMA 14-50 and 5-20 outlets in it, is that still there? This would not be legal to install today (for EV charging), but since it was there before certain regulations went in to effect it's ok to keep. I had emailed Ecotality asking about this particular station and was specifically told that there were no plans to update this station, but apparently they did.

Hello! I'm new to the forum and just got my Nissan Leaf on Oct 31st. I've had it for almost a month and live here in Phoenix.

I was wondering if someone could post the link to a map with all the chargers in the Valley? Is there anything? I have Plugshare on my phone, but none of the stations that were mentioned in the last few weeks are on my map.

Right now, I'm mainly just charging at home and at the dealerships.

Thanks!!!

Back