Outlet melted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsleaf said:
DeaneG said:
If the outlet is in the garage, do yourself a favor and put in a GFCI receptacle. This may be required by code anyway.

Yeah, that's the plan.

While you have an electrician out have them install a L6-20R for when you get your EVSE upgraded by EVSEUpgrade.com ;)

Is it possible to repair the plug without replacing the whole charger (brick and all)?

http://imgur.com/sXlfO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

padamson1 said:
gsleaf said:
Has anyone had any electrical issues? Our Leaf just melted an outlet in our garage pretty good. I'm glad it didn't start a fire.
That's not right. My 120 EVSE would sometimes get warm near the outlet, but never hot. Richard's idea of measuring the voltage drop is a good idea, but a simple receptacle tester http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3099774 to verify the wiring is correct (grounded, no open neutral, in phase, etc) is just as important.
I never plug in a big load appliance (toaster, space heater, or microwave or LEAF) until I've tested the outlet.
That receptacle tester only tests that an outlet is properly wired, but does not check voltage drop caused by a bad socket, bad wire terminations, or or inadequate wire size for heavier loads.

gsleaf said:
Is it possible to repair the plug without replacing the whole charger (brick and all)?

http://imgur.com/sXlfO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yea.. You need to buy a 5266. Several vendors make them, but the Hubble is especially nice since it fits a wide variety of cord sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUBBELL-Vari-Size-Cord-Grip-Plug-HBL-5266C-/110798835118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want more choices, buy it from here:
http://www.fruitridgetools.com/storefrontprofiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sid=1&sfid=136763&c=0&search_text=5-15p&submit=go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BRBarian said:
Yea.. You need to buy a 5266. Several vendors make them, but the Hubble is especially nice since it fits a wide variety of cord sizes.

Is that something an electrician could do for me or Nissan or something I'd have to do myself?

So the electrician said it was bad wiring in the outlet. He's going to add a new outlet with a dedicate circuit for the charger. He is going to use an industrial quality GFCI outlet as well. He said this won't happen again.

Nissan wouldn't have a clue what to do with it, other than sell you a new $900 EVSE. I'm sure the electrician could put a new plug on it if you don't feel up to it.
BTW, did the electrician look at how difficult it would be to get 240 at that outlet instead. Phil's 240 upgrade is sweet! ;)

gsleaf said:
BRBarian said:

Is that something an electrician could do for me or Nissan or something I'd have to do myself?

Easy to do. Screwdriver, wire cutter, wire stripper, knife.

gsleaf said:
BRBarian said:

I doubt Nissan would repair it for you and they did they would probably want a lot. Your electrician should be able to easily fix this.

This is a "common" problem when pushing the limits of receptacles as it will cause any weaknesses to become apparent. It's also likely why Nissan has so many CYA warnings with regards to using the portable charger.

gsleaf said:
So the electrician said it was bad wiring in the outlet. He's going to add a new outlet with a dedicate circuit for the charger. He is going to use an industrial quality GFCI outlet as well. He said this won't happen again.
If he's going to do that, you should really have him wire a 240v circuit as well. It's not much more work to run the extra wires.

gsleaf said:
davewill said:
If he's going to do that, you should really have him wire a 240v circuit as well. It's not much more work to run the extra wires.
How many amps do the Level 2 chargers pull?
The LEAF pulls a max of 16a @ 240v regardless of the EVSE's capacity. Available home EVSEs are rated at 16a up to 30a typically. The circuit needs to be rated for 125% of the load so a 16a EVSE needs a 20a circuit, a 30a EVSE needs a 40a circuit. You can have your L1 EVSE upgraded to 240v 12a or 16a at http://EVSEUpgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need a 20a circuit for the 16a draw of the Leaf at 240v L2.
Although this will limit the evse options as many have 30 amp rating and require 40 amp circuit even if current Leaf only pulls 16a.

Modified Nissan brick, Leviton 160, LeGrand, can work on 20a circuit.
Clipper Creek needs 25 amp circuit.
GE Wattstation, Schneider, AV, all need 40a circuit.

gsleaf said:
One more reason to get the evseupgrade. Phil will replace that damaged plug with a much higher quality molded plug! If you are happy with the 120v charging you have now you will be even happier with his cheapest 12A 240v upgrade. You lose nothing, and since your electrician is running a new circuit anyway your cost is minimal.

Ray

Planet4ever is correct, if you send your damaged unit in for upgrade, we will take care of you and install a much better cord and plug. If you want, we can also send you out and advanced replacement unit right away, then once you get it, you can box up your old one and return it to us.

The revision 2 upgrade will charge your Leaf well over over twice as fast and doesn't require much more on your electrician's part to get you the required L6-20 outlet. If you order the revision 1 unit, it pulls the same amperage as the original, but still charges over twice as fast!

If you are leasing, don't worry, when your lease is up we will be happy to swap you for a non-upgraded unit, or many other people will be willing to as well!

-Phil

Back