Our solar production

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
I am in the process of tripling my system from the current 700 Watts to 2100 Watts. That ought to be enough to cover all my LEAF
driving (~6000 miles/year) and household use (~4.8 kWh/day).

You sir have some really efficient electricity use :)

QueenBee said:
dgpcolorado said:
I am in the process of tripling my system from the current 700 Watts to 2100 Watts. That ought to be enough to cover all my LEAF driving (~6000 miles/year) and household use (~4.8 kWh/day).
Yes, I've been trying to conserve electricity for decades—I don't like waste. I'm helped by the fact that I've never lived in a climate that needed AC*; my sense is that much of the electricity use of many households is for AC. But I expect that some of it is for gadgets that run 24/7 whether needed or not. Over the last two years I've added a DVR (20 Watts) and a TV antenna amplifier (7 Watts) and they increased my power usage significantly because they have to run 24/7 to function adequately. However, they are vastly less expensive to operate than paying for satellite TV, something I would never do.

*Kailua, HI; Tiburon, CA; Pacific Palisades, CA; San Diego, CA; Boulder, CO; Ouray County, CO.

dgpcolorado said:
QueenBee said:
dgpcolorado said:
I am in the process of tripling my system from the current 700 Watts to 2100 Watts. That ought to be enough to cover all my LEAF driving (~6000 miles/year) and household use (~4.8 kWh/day).
Yes, I've been trying to conserve electricity for decades—I don't like waste. I'm helped by the fact that I've never lived in a climate that needed AC*; my sense is that much of the electricity use of many households is for AC. But I expect that some of it is for gadgets that run 24/7 whether needed or not. Over the last two years I've added a DVR (20 Watts) and a TV antenna amplifier (7 Watts) and they increased my power usage significantly because they have to run 24/7 to function adequately. However, they are vastly less expensive to operate than paying for satellite TV, something I would never do.

*Kailua, HI; Tiburon, CA; Pacific Palisades, CA; San Diego, CA; Boulder, CO; Ouray County, CO.
Any particular reason you couldn't put them on a switched powerstrip/surge protector? If you don't record a lot when you're sleeping, is there some technical issue that requires them to be on 24/7? I've had all my vampire loads on switched powerstrips for years.

GRA said:
Any particular reason you couldn't put them on a switched powerstrip/surge protector? If you don't record a lot when you're sleeping, is there some technical issue that requires them to be on 24/7? I've had all my vampire loads on switched powerstrips for years.
Yes: The DVR has to be on and connected for the timers and station updates to function correctly. The power supply for my antenna amplifier is located in a difficult to reach spot in my garage, and needs to be on for the DVR to function correctly. Placing the power supply on the outlet strip near the DVR/TV didn't work; it has to be closer to the amplifier, which is located on the antenna mast. The antenna itself is located in a tree. I live in a remote mountain area and was thrilled that I could get free OTA digital TV, including PBS HDTV, via broadcast repeaters. The picture is fabulous.

I thought about it quite a lot. I wish the DVR would just spin down the HDD when it isn't recording or on, but it doesn't. Except for the 20W draw and an occasional glitch in programming I am quite pleased with the machine. I remind myself that it costs me about $31/a year for electricity and most people pay more than that every month for cable/satellite without batting an eye.

I, too, have a lot of vampire loads on power strips, including most of my home theater and my computer. They get turned off when not in use. Even my router has been switched off at a power strip many hundreds of times and boots in seconds without fail.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Yes: The DVR has to be on and connected for the timers and station updates to function correctly. The power supply for my antenna amplifier is located in a difficult to reach spot in my garage, and needs to be on for the DVR to function correctly. Placing the power supply on the outlet strip near the DVR/TV didn't work; it has to be closer to the amplifier, which is located on the antenna mast. The antenna itself is located in a tree. I live in a remote mountain area and was thrilled that I could get free OTA digital TV, including PBS HDTV, via broadcast repeaters. The picture is fabulous.

I thought about it quite a lot. I wish the DVR would just spin down the HDD when it isn't recording or on, but it doesn't. Except for the 20W draw and an occasional glitch in programming I am quite pleased with the machine. I remind myself that it costs me about $31/a year for electricity and most people pay more than that every month for cable/satellite without batting an eye.

I, too, have a lot of vampire loads on power strips, including most of my home theater and my computer. They get turned off when not in use. Even my router has been switched off at a power strip many hundreds of times and boots in seconds without fail.
Thanks for the info, and as you say it's cheaper than cable (as long as you don't have to upgrade your PV system to handle the draw). I've never been willing to pay for cable, as I don't watch that much TV anyway and figure the good cable stuff that I'd actually pay to watch will be available on DVD soon enough, often at the library for free. I will happily skip the 100+ channels of dreck that I can't imagine ever watching - it helps to be a serious reader.:D

GRA said:
Thanks for the info, and as you say it's cheaper than cable (as long as you don't have to upgrade your PV system to handle the draw). I've never been willing to pay for cable, as I don't watch that much TV anyway and figure the good cable stuff that I'd actually pay to watch will be available on DVD soon enough, often at the library for free. I will happily skip the 100+ channels of dreck that I can't imagine ever watching - it helps to be a serious reader.:D
I agree with everything you said. I have never paid for cable or satellite. I don't watch that much TV and prefer to watch full seasons of the few shows that interest me on DVD or BD, sometimes for free via my library. (I just ordered the season 2 DVD set of a TV show that has proved popular at my library; the library will reimburse me for the cost because I can get it cheaper than they can.) And I do read a lot, although the last few years I have been more focused on audio books because they can be used during long walks, workouts, and bicycle commutes; helps me stay active.

i dont have cable either. only Instant View from Netflix and that has worked for 3 years now. still watch TV. granted its 6 months after the original show aired (or more) but its commercial free. that alone makes more than worth the wait.

i like watching entire seasons of my favorite shows in a little as a weekend.

but alas, i also have several powered items that run all the time. my computer for one. it is set to update and do a virus/anti malware scan nightly which takes quite a bit of time. now when idling, it does not use a lot of power and now that we dont game on it any more, i have disconnected 2 of the case fans both of which were the constant velocity kind.

Got my latest bill from Rocky Mountain Power. Here are the results so far in 2012 after three months with my Leaf:

2012_utility.png

2012_distribution.png

2012_evmiles.png

2012_evstats.png

I just flipped the switch on my 30-panel array (SolarWorld 240 Poly and Enphase M190 microinverters) a week ago, and was promptly greeted by a week of cloudy, rainy weather. Saw the panels overdrive the microinverters to an average of 197.5 watts, each, for a moment today before falling back. However, overall, it has been a very low production week.

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/smq489803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know if this is true of other parts of the country, but down here in FPL's service area, the smart meters are not very "smart". They continue to count forward regardless of whether you are receiving or sending power to FPL's grid. You don’t get proper accounting until FPL installs a bi-directional meter, and, by law, they have up to 30 days to do that. In the meantime, you get to pay FPL to take your excess power. FPL does warn you about this by stating you should only have your array on for testing and inspection purposes until the bi-direction meter is installed, or your electricity bill may be higher than you expect.

Fortunately, at this time of year, most of the time my array will produce less power than I consume (June tends to be a hot, humid, cloudy and rainy month in South Florida), so I'll still have an overall benefit of keeping the array on (for testing and inspection, of course), even if I, periodically, have to pay FPL to take my excess power.

I was hoping to have my system up by April/May, but some bad weather here, which resulted in some wind damage to my roof, put a dent in those plans.

Good news, I had my insurance pay to replace my old roof (completely new roof), and the solar installers who I've been working with since early January just started work today. The roofers are there installing the brackets, tomorrow the AC/wiring guys should be there, and I'm hoping all "work" and possibly the final inspection will be done by the end of this week, maybe next.

It will be a 2.4kW system (10 x 240W Canadian Solar panels) mounted Azimuth: 150° Tilt: 30°

TNleaf said:
Good news, I had my insurance pay to replace my old roof (completely new roof), and the solar installers who I've been working with since early January just started work today. The roofers are there installing the brackets, tomorrow the AC/wiring guys should be there, and I'm hoping all "work" and possibly the final inspection will be done by the end of this week, maybe next.

That's some seriously good luck. Had the system been installed it probably would have been damaged but now you get a new roof and the solar PV install will be easier and better since the brackets are getting installed before the roof. Karma in action :)

:) June tally is in:

• 1,691.61 kWh total
  • 56.39 kWh daily average

As the graph below shows, we haven't had even a drop of rain since April 28! Today has dawned cloudy, however, so perhaps the monsoon season is about to begin and I'll have to make a few "withdrawals" from my solar savings account in July.

QO19VG

I was all set for June to set new records for monthly total and a daily average over 50 kWh/day for the first time, but it was not to be. The storms on Friday night knocked out power for the entire day Saturday, so June became just another also ran.

Here are our numbers so far this year:

Jan 2012: 0870 kWh
Feb 2012: 1080 kWh
Mar 2012: 1350 kWh
Apr 2012: 1470 kWh
May 2012: 1480 kWh
Jun 2012: 1470 kWh
-----------------------------
2012 Tot: 7720 kWh

I have a general question: What are the best brands of panels to consider? I have been talking to a local firm who installs Siliken and MAGE (MAGE are assembled here in GA). I haven't seen anyone here mention either of these companies. Who's good and who's not?

Thanks!
Jim

nogajim said:
I have a general question: What are the best brands of panels to consider? I have been talking to a local firm who installs Siliken and MAGE (MAGE are assembled here in GA). I haven't seen anyone here mention either of these companies. Who's good and who's not?

I have Sunpower 230 watts panels and they are rated among the best on the market. I rate them very highly.
I have a friend who is installing 40 Sunpower 327 watt panels. Besides great panels, the Sunpower LEASE is fantastic.
Before any other choices, check into the Sunpower Lease. You will be AMAZED. My friend certainly was.

Regarding June Production:

June 2012 - 1,387 kWh DC / 1,325 kWh AC (95.5% Inverter efficiency with Sunpower/SMA 7000 inverter)

Note: My system is a 6.9 kW system with 30 Sunpower 230 watt panels and a Sunpower/SMA 7000m inverter.

Finally online with my system as of 1pm yesterday (so I missed out on some good hours of production in the morning).

From 1pm until end of day yesterday, my 2.4kW system produced just over 12 kWh of electricity.

I'll have an update when I get my system logging and tracking setup and running.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SilverLeaf said:
nogajim said:

I have Sunpower 230 watts panels and they are rated among the best on the market. I rate them very highly.
I have a friend who is installing 40 Sunpower 327 watt panels. Besides great panels, the Sunpower LEASE is fantastic.
Before any other choices, check into the Sunpower Lease. You will be AMAZED. My friend certainly was.

Regarding June Production:

June 2012 - 1,387 kWh DC / 1,325 kWh AC (95.5% Inverter efficiency with Sunpower/SMA 7000 inverter)

Note: My system is a 6.9 kW system with 30 Sunpower 230 watt panels and a Sunpower/SMA 7000m inverter.
We too, went w/ sunpower. They're some of THE highest efficiency panels. However having said that - their high efficiency comes w/ a high price. We have a very small area to install, and thus, if our goals was a 7.1kW (ac rated) system, then we really had no choice. If we'd of had the room, we'd choose a less pricy panel (which means larger, for the same amt of power). Often, the older model panels can be had for about 1/2 the cost of the latest & greatest - high efficiency panel.

hill said:
However having said that - their high efficiency comes w/ a high price. We have a very small area to install, and thus, if our goals was a 7.1kW (ac rated) system, then we really had no choice. If we'd of had the room, we'd choose a less pricy panel (which means larger, for the same amt of power). Often, the older model panels can be had for about 1/2 the cost of the latest & greatest - high efficiency panel.

Don't forget high efficiency AND made in America! But, yes, at a price.

I have to add that we also love our Sunpower panels, but for more reasons than efficiency. I think they are the best looking panel on the market, and since we are going to be living with them for a long time, that was relatively important. We have the standard panel, not the all-black, which would be very handsome on a more modern-looking house.

If I were doing it over again, I would definitely go with micro inverters if I could work them into the deal. The string inverters look terrible on the back of our house and will necessitate building a fence to hide them. Plus, I like the idea of being able to see the output of each panel.

And for the good stuff: we have 66 panels, and yesterday we produced 97.81kWh. We managed 109kWh on a cool day last month, which was very exciting. My wife chides me for checking the iPhone app all the time, but hey, we all get our kicks somewhere:)

I increased my solar array a week ago:

I am now at 2170 watts, which should be enough to cover all of my household use and nearly all of my LEAF driving. It isn't remotely cost-effective but it is nice to drive on "sunpower". I installed my original panels four years ago as "phase 1" of a future electric car.

Back