Our daughter got her driver's license in the LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
So, prove me wrong and give me at least one state that has truly aggressive and comprehensive written and practical licensing tests... (I thought it might still be NJ but I checked and they abandoned the program I referenced some time ago...)
Oh no, sorry, it doesn't work that way. It is not up to me to prove you wrong, it is up to you to prove you are correct. You made the allegation that all 51 US licensing authorites, assuming DC is one, have lax standards compared to other developed nations. I did not make any claim whatsoever, I just questioned your ability to make that finding, therefore it is up to you to show me, or us, that what you said is correct.

If you don't care to do that, than peace, have a good evening. Oh, by the way, I took my first test in a '41 Buick Special - I don't think the Nash Rambler was yet a gleam in some designer's eye. And I allowed my motorcycle endorsement to lapse when I determined that riding my BMW R90 in the states was not nearly as much fun or as safe as it was in Europe.

evnow said:
But you can get license in one place and drive everywhere - infact get a different state's license by just taking the written exam.
+1

I'm sure this fact is not lost on our friends in Europe: We Americans can take our ill-gotten driver's licenses over to Europe and RENT A CAR and drive it over there! :eek:

I've only ever done that in France a couple of times, which is really no big deal, but in Great Britain, they drive on the wrong side of the road! :shock: :D

I spent a little time in Ireland with an American colleague who is not a particularly good driver over here. (When we drive into Canada, the Canadians honk at him, if that gives you any idea! ;) ) Anyway, between him driving on the wrong side, running off the edge of the road repeatedly (he popped two tires in 3 days) and looking the wrong way for cars before entering an intersection, I'm lucky to be here!!

ebill3 said:
evnow said:
But you can get license in one place and drive everywhere - infact get a different state's license by just taking the written exam.
Really? Can you do that in WA? It has been a long time since I traded my Pennsylvania license for Washington, but I sure as heck did the whoe bit.

Unless you're 17 with a valid Kansas license and no driver's ed and move with your parents to Des Moines IA where you can't get your license until you're 18 unless you pass drivers ed and since you're now a permanent resident of the state your out of state license is invalid after 30 days. Not that I have any heartburn against Iowa laws from that experience... <grumble, grumble>

Back