Only 200 Leafs in 5 markets for December Delivery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonewild said:
I find it hard to believe only 200 cars in the USA. They would have to be building the cars one at a time to be that slow!!
I specifically asked the Nissan rep at the Sustainable Energy day in San Diego yesterday about this article in Reuter's. He said that it is not necessarily accurate that only 200 Leafs will come to the US in Dec., but that the number will indeed be in the hundreds and not in the thousands. They are in the final test phase of the production line in Japan and customer cars will start rolling off it soon, but the bulk of US orders will begin arriving in 2011.

TT

Desertstraw said:
smkettner said:
In various states the email seems to have gone out at different times. The order placement may depend on the time between the local email and registration not necessarily a single set time for all orders.
Don't you think that Nissan has a duty to its potential customers to show that the process was fair?

No . They do not owe us fairness or really anything else. They are a company with a motivation to maximize shareholder return.

adaminla said:
Desertstraw said:
smkettner said:
In various states the email seems to have gone out at different times. The order placement may depend on the time between the local email and registration not necessarily a single set time for all orders.
Don't you think that Nissan has a duty to its potential customers to show that the process was fair?

No . They do not owe us fairness or really anything else. They are a company with a motivation to maximize shareholder return.

Exactly and any speculation on exact numbers like 200, etc is just rumor at this point because Nissan does not know the exact number yet.

Don't you think that Nissan has a duty to its potential customers to show that the process was fair?[/quote]

No . They do not owe us fairness or really anything else. They are a company with a motivation to maximize shareholder return.[/quote]

Actually, by taking the $99 reservation deposit they are subject to a fairly rigorous set of consumer protection laws in California, and I assume in other states. Fairness and a degree of transparency are required in such a contract, even if the deposit is refundable.

I know it's hard but let's try and relax. VERY soon we will all see how things roll out. For Nissan this is very complicated and waaaay ahead of the curve. They have far more at risk than we do so quiet patience might be helpful. I mean, I get the whole "kid asking are we there yet?" thing... but did it really make your parents drive any faster???

adaminla said:
They are a company with a motivation to maximize shareholder return.

But who says that "maximizing shareholder return" does not involve being (see as) fair to consumers since that s good for the company in the long run ? That is the difference between fly-by-night wallstreet type and a real long term investor.

Anyway, the notion that the only motivation for a company is to "maximize shareholder return" is completely and absolutely false. There are various stake holders and a company needs to balance its obligation. Infact, under most laws shareholders come last - the company's first obligation would be to follow the laws and then take care of secured creditors, then unsecured creditors etc.

Has anyone posted an educated guess about the % of leaf customers that are represented in this forum? I checked out the google map graphic for people that have already ordered but do some of the old timers here have a sense of what portion of the total leaf ordering community is represented?

opencar said:
Has anyone posted an educated guess about the % of leaf customers that are represented in this forum? I checked out the google map graphic for people that have already ordered but do some of the old timers here have a sense of what portion of the total leaf ordering community is represented?

Sometime back we had about 100 members who have ordered. That is between 10 to 20% of the orders. Ofcourse there will be more lurkers who don't register or take part in polls. So the numbers may be a somewhat higher.

evnow said:
opencar said:

Sometime back we had about 100 members who have ordered. That is between 10 to 20% of the orders. Ofcourse there will be more lurkers who don't register or take part in polls. So the numbers may be a somewhat higher.

thanks evnow. I count less than 70 orders pinned to California on the google map. if i assume conservatively that represent 10% of the general customer base, then I'm looking at 700 $5K rebate checks already spoken for with the Aug-Sept order batch. Guess for any of us left ordering in October we'll need to count on the extra $5M funding that I'm hoping is in the current budget on the Gov's desk.

onlyjaymoo said:
opencar, do you know the status of that pending legislation? What bill is it?

i tried searching pretty hard a couple times over the weekend w/ no luck. i also sent a couple emails to the sustainable energy people for any insight. seems like enough days have passed to be able to confirm.

opencar said:
i tried searching pretty hard a couple times over the weekend w/ no luck. i also sent a couple emails to the sustainable energy people for any insight. seems like enough days have passed to be able to confirm.

Isn't the budget/bill available over the web ?

evnow said:
opencar said:

Isn't the budget/bill available over the web ?

even when I looked at the budget I couldn't figure out status of funding. the bill it is attached to is Assembly BIll 118. oh well, i'll just wait till someone makes heads or tails of the funding status.

sdbonez said:
same here, no luck...after searching a lot through http://leginfo.ca.gov/ - guess those backroom deals don't get official for some time?

here's from the horse's mouth - email today from Ctr for Sustainable energy SD; guess we still don't know:

At this time I do not have a timeframe for when the additional $5 million will be added. I would hope we can get it added before the first allotment of money runs out. I will keep you posted when I get a definite answer to your question.

Kyle Goedert
Program Assistant, Transportation
8690 Balboa Ave, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92123-1502
858.244.4877 phone
858.244.1178 fax
www.energycenter.org web

Back