One more range question.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi_Juan

I bought a second hand leaf 2016 30kw tekna. When picked the car up I drove for 1 hour on the motorway back to London.
Temperature was cold but not freezing. That hour drive drain the 65 miles range displayed. it has 10 health bars.
Is a normal range? seems very poor. I consider that I drove gently without accelerating to much.
I just think that was a very quick drain and not sure if that it is even a range desirable to do some traveling.

Leaf's do best at low speed and lose range fastest at high speed.
To put your observations in prospective, my car will show 65 mile range but drop quickly on a trip to town, 10 miles of 55 mph, 2-3 miles of low speed and the same returning. I arrive home with between 17-28 miles showing.
If you did an hour at 60 MPH It is not surprising that it drained 65 miles off. So I'd say it is about right.
Was it fully charged? is 65 on the guess-o-meter all that shows?
What are your expectations for this car?

For range, your speed, tire pressure, and HVAC use all play a big role. If you were using the heater because it was cold, and your tires were a bit low, and you were cruising at 60+ mph, your range will be decreased quite a bit from your best case scenario (e.g., no heater or A/C use, tires at 40-42 psi, slower speeds).

Thanks guys.
The car wasnt fully charged and, we didnt use the heater. I saw quite a few you tube videos in anticipation to our collection and knew this consumes more battery.
2 Days in, I can see how it behaves in short distances travel. It is a great saving when using an EV in the city. I think it was the sock of the first experience on a EV. For sure the planning of a road trip takes a whole new level, more when we are a fam of 5 with 3 little ones. (For reference we got a C4 grand picasso; a 7 seater).
The leaf is a great car, we are just adapting.
Does a 40kw leaf and newer models handle the charge against distance better? I ask because this 2016 is great value for money with the gas savings.

I bought a second hand leaf 2016 30kw tekna. When picked the car up I drove for 1 hour on the motorway back to London.
Temperature was cold but not freezing. That hour drive drain the 65 miles range displayed. it has 10 health bars.
Is a normal range? seems very poor. I consider that I drove gently without accelerating to much.
I just think that was a very quick drain and not sure if that it is even a range desirable to do some traveling.
Per replies here (and my posts in other threads about "alternative winter heat"), the Leaf's heating system does appear absurdly inefficient. Not only does it consume an inordinate amout of energy/range-juice, but it is slow to warm upon initiating...

I've been MUCH more satisfied - for short trips - with a deep cycle battery plus inverter in the boot, feeding a small space heater up front. Sure, you have to recharge that "secondary" AGM or Lithium, along with your usual traction battery recharging, but you recover ~10% of your range relatively inexpensively. 'Worth a try, if you are just on the fringe of having enough range. FWIW

Back