Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is not that active and covers both ICE and EV versions. I signed up a while back and the moderator failed to enable my account. I will try again.

GRA said:
xtremeflyer said:
Is there a good forum out there for the RAV4 EV?
I see that this was established a week ago, but there aren't any posts yet:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is anyone else thinking of switching cars? I test drove one yesterday in Sacramento, and I really like what I saw. It's much bigger and has more range. Level of creature comforts was on par with the Leaf, but fit and finish is up to the Toyota standard and not Nissan standard. Tesla drive-train was incredibly powerful even in this heavy beast (4000 lbs versus Leaf at 3300). 10kW on-board charger is very nice.

Yes, everything as you described, it is quite nice... especially compared to it's spartan prototype that we sat in last year!
The 10kW on-board charger is great, especially with the 41.8 kWh battery, but we'd hold out until they add a fast charger. This car would be one that we'd add (vs. trade) to the stable to take on longer trips, adventures... so, fast charging would be even more important than for our daily driver LEAF. Mentioned it to the Toyota reps where we've seen/drove the RAV4 EV.

GoingGreener said:
Yes, everything as you described, it was quite nice... especially compared to it's spartan prototype that we sat in last year!
The 10kW on-board charger is great, especially with the 41.8 kWh battery, but we'd hold out until they add a fast charger. This car would be one that we'd add (vs. trade) to the stable to take on longer trips, adventures... so, fast charging would be even more important than on our LEAF (which we love). Mentioned it to the Toyota reps where we've seen/drove the RAV4 EV.

It is probably Tesla not wanting to do it and not Toyota. Even the 40kWh ModelS is not allowed on the supercharger network.

Yeah :cry: Maybe like with the Focus, Fit, BMW and Coda EVs, the manufacturers are sitting it out and keeping their EV costs lower until the SAE standard is created?

GoingGreener said:
Yeah :cry: Maybe like the Focus, Fit, BMW and Coda EVs, manufacturers are sitting it out and keeping their EV costs lower until the SAE standard is created?

I don't believe so. Since it is a Tesla drive train, Tesla would insist it be on the Supercharger network. I'm waiting for the announcement on Monday, but I think Tesla is going to just put the last nail in the coffin for the SAE standard.

Can you actually buy one of the RAV4's? Are there any dealers near San Diego offering them?

reeler said:
Can you actually buy one of the RAV4's? Are there any dealers near San Diego offering them?

http://www.toyota.com/rav4ev/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

San Diego
Frank Toyota2400 National City Blvd
National City, CA 91950Phone: (619) 474-5573

Mossy Toyota4555 Mission Bay Drive
San Diego, CA 92109Phone: (858) 581-4000

Toyota Carlsbad5424 Paseo Del Norte
Carlsbad, CA 92008Phone: (760) 438-2000

Toyota Of El Cajon965 Arnele Avenue
El Cajon, CA 92020Phone: (619) 270-3000

Toyota All-Electric 2012 RAV4 EV Rolls into California
EPA rated driving range of 103 miles and 76 MPGe combined
Special Financing & Lease Program Available
On Sale the Week of September 24th
TORRANCE, Calif., (September 13, 2012) – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. (TMS) announced today special financing and a customer lease option for the 2012 RAV4 EV. The all-new, all-electric RAV4 EV receives an EPA rated range of 103 miles, 78 city miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe), 74 highway MPGe and 76 combined MPGe.

The RAV4 EV will go on sale the week of September 24, 2012 through select California dealers, focusing on major metropolitan markets. With a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $49,800, RAV4 EV customers will have the option of a purchase or lease program. Special purchase financing of 1.9 percent APR is available for qualified customers, as well as a 36 month lease option at $599 per month with $3,499 drive off. Sales volume is planned for approximately 2,600 units through 2014.

The RAV4 EV is expected to qualify for a $2,500 rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program in California and also is eligible for a $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. The vehicle will qualify for the California High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane white sticker program.

Interested customers can visit http://www.toyota.com/rav4ev" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to sign up for additional information and be connected with an authorized dealer.

Toyota's approved electric vehicle supplier equipment provider is Leviton. Leviton offers multiple options for charging solutions. For the shortest charge time of approximately six hours, Leviton offers a custom 240V (Level 2), 40A, 9.6 kW output charging station. For more information visit Leviton.com/Toyota. The vehicle comes equipped with a 120V (Level 1) 12A charging cable for instances when the recommended 240V (Level 2) charging is not available.

The RAV4 EV is the product of a unique collaboration with Tesla Motors spurred by Akio Toyoda, president and chief executive officer of Toyota Motor Corporation. The RAV4 EV combines a Tesla designed and produced battery and electric powertrain with Toyota's most popular SUV model.

^^^
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/all-electric+toyota+rav4+ev+first+drive+aug2012.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says
The vehicle will be available in late summer in three exterior colors: Blizzard Pearl, Shoreline Blue Pearl and Classic Silver Metallic. Fleet units also will be available in Super White. The interior features a unique “Neutron” fabric, woven with a subtle sheen and blue accent, on the seat inserts and door trim.

That is it. Three colors and zero options. Just pick your color. All interior is identical. Just like leaf options.

There is supposed to be a signature edition with a different exterior color and interior but no options. It was mentioned to me at the drive event in Sacramento but I can't find mention of it anywhere else.

This vehicle is meant to be driven (1 x range) during the day and charged over-night? Is there any chance they'll put in the dual 10kW chargers Tesla is using (2014?), so that you could recharge during the day and comfortably exceed the range?

srl99 said:
This vehicle is meant to be driven (1 x range) during the day and charged over-night? Is there any chance they'll put in the dual 10kW chargers Tesla is using (2014?), so that you could recharge during the day and comfortably exceed the range?

Yes, great idea. The only thing stopping me from buying the Rav 4 EV is the lack of fast charging. Most people hate waiting forever for their car to charge including me.

It seems like they are not trying to succeed by failing to offer a fast charge option. Otherwise I love this car. I drove it last week and it is an amazing ride. Super roomy. You could even put a set of rear facing seats in if you wanted and seat 7.

EVDrive said:
srl99 said:

Yes, great idea. The only thing stopping me from buying the Rav 4 EV is the lack of fast charging. Most people hate waiting forever for their car to charge including me.

It seems like they are not trying to succeed by failing to offer a fast charge option. Otherwise I love this car. I drove it last week and it is an amazing ride. Super roomy. You could even put a set of rear facing seats in if you wanted and seat 7.

Sounds just like my experience. At first I wished they had a way to get a supercharger, but then I realized that it is still a bit short on range to need it. A second 10kW might be a nice option. With the recent announcement of the Supercharger Network, I'm thinking seriously about the ModelS-60

palmermd said:
With the recent announcement of the Supercharger Network, I'm thinking seriously about the ModelS-60

No announcements of "normal" battery degradation from Tesla (well, there was that little "bricking" incident) and a well planned and IMPLEMENTED network, yes, I'm sold. Well done Tesla.

Nissan is scrambling now, with this 100 DC charger announcement. Awesome news, but doesn't this sound like the standard "100 mile" range statement? Does anybody know how many of the 400 DC chargers Nissan proposed for EU are actually deployed?

TonyWilliams said:
palmermd said:
With the recent announcement of the Supercharger Network, I'm thinking seriously about the ModelS-60
No announcements of "normal" battery degradation from Tesla (well, there was that little "bricking" incident) and a well planned and IMPLEMENTED network, yes, I'm sold. Well done Tesla.
Bravo indeed, assuming they survive for the long term.

My biggest worry about Tesla is them not being in business for the typical lifetime of a Model S. It still really makes me wonder about the viability of their business considering how few vehicles they've delivered, lack of profits (losses every quarter) and all the huge investments they're making/promising (e.g. more showrooms, Supercharger network, etc.).

For the very rich, they'd be upset about the parent company of their $50K - $100K car going under, but could take it. What about those of us who don't find that so palatable and might have issues w/service and parts later?

cwerdna said:
For the very rich, they'd be upset about the parent company of their $50K - $100K car going under, but could take it. What about those of us who don't find that so palatable and might have issues w/service and parts later?

If they fail, and nobody wants to buy the failed company for pennies on the dollar (seems unlikely, with the first class way they've done stuff so far), I am confident with all the passion behind this car that they will not be completely abandoned.

The batteries are easy. Doors, fenders, etc might be harder to source!

Back