Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I lose a bar on my Leaf and can barely make it to and from work, and I can lease a RAV4 that has 100 miles real world range. I'd pay $100/mo more for it.

xtremeflyer said:
If I lose a bar on my Leaf and can barely make it to and from work, and I can lease a RAV4 that has 100 miles real world range. I'd pay $100/mo more for it.

where you live because if you are like most of us, your money is no good

also, guessing it would be significantly more than $100

xtremeflyer said:

where you live because if you are like most of us, your money is no good

also, guessing it would be significantly more than $100

With where I live (Southern California), I should be able to buy one.

If the RAV4 EV is really $50k, minus $10k in tax credits/rebates.. I've seen plenty of $40k cars have $450/mo leases, as we've seen, it all depends on residual and money factor that Toyota is willing to put on the car. I think the additional amount to have the utility of an SUV and 20% more range, but still get my HOV access is worth it and I'll definitely be watching.

xtremeflyer said:
With where I live (Southern California), I should be able to buy one.

If the RAV4 EV is really $50k, minus $10k in tax credits/rebates.. I've seen plenty of $40k cars have $450/mo leases, as we've seen, it all depends on residual and money factor that Toyota is willing to put on the car. I think the additional amount to have the utility of an SUV and 20% more range, but still get my HOV access is worth it and I'll definitely be watching.

ya we shall see but when planning to build 800 units a year, i would guess their incentives to give you "rock bottom" leasing is going to be nil

remember the Mini?? or whatever that was $500+?

A whole bunch of folks designated as Prius Experts (most of the moderators on Priuschat) were flown to LA and I didn't really know why at first other than a brief mention of the RAV4 EV by one of them. One of them laid down two fresh strips of rubber from the acceleration and put it up on FB.

I'm not sure what else they did there but it seems they did get a briefing on it and get to drive it for awhile.

Judging by some posts on FB by famed hypermiler Wayne Gerdes' (of cleanmpg.com), he was invited to drive too.

TTAC has this look at it http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/pre-production-review-2013-toyota-rav4-ev/2013-toyota-rav4-ev-032/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

ya, chatted with a few of them last night and it looks like Toyota held back nothing on this design. the range of "well over 100 miles" is very understated. a few said they were getting 110-120 miles with 4 people in the car, 65 mph with A/C blasting while "burning rubber"

with normal careful driving, they put the real range at 130-150

Wayne says he could easily hypermile 200

DaveinOlyWA said:
ya, chatted with a few of them last night and it looks like Toyota held back nothing on this design. the range of "well over 100 miles" is very understated. a few said they were getting 110-120 miles with 4 people in the car, 65 mph with A/C blasting while "burning rubber"

The poor man's Tesla S (with 40kWh battery). It's sounding pretty darn good.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

The poor man's Tesla S (with 40kWh battery). It's sounding pretty darn good.
Our definitions of 'poor' apparently diverge. :lol:

Does anyone know what they are using for a heater? Is it resistive like the Leaf or a heat pump like the 2013 Leaf and old Rav4EV?

I might try to buy one of these in California and ferret it back to Colorado if it has a decent heating option that wont kill the range. If I could get from Denver to the ski resorts on a charge, this will be my new car.

Anyone interested in test driving the new Rav4EV on Saturday, September 15?

Then join us at Green Drive Expo in the San Francisco bay area!
10am - 5pm
Craneway Pavilion

We've been discussing on a different thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Snipped from that thread...

or any of the mynissanleaf members who want to display their vehicles in the Owners Showcase and become VIPs, we are offering a 25% discount off the VIP fee. (Normally $20)
Vip's get cool swag for showing off their cars, plus can hang out for the VIP dinner afterwards.

Enter the discount code mynissanleaf when signing up as a VIP http://greendriveexpo.com/become-a-vip-bay-area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Green Drive Expo will be the first place the public will have a chance to <test drive the Rav4EV>.

Also test drive the new Avalon Hybrid, and the rest of the Prius hybrids.

Chevy Volt will have test drives as well as CODA test drives.

And Chelsea Sexton of "Who Killed the Electric Car" will be on hand for an afternoon session on the speaker's stage.

And even if you aren't interested in becoming a VIP...I'll still give you guys free admission. (You just won't get the swag or show off your Leaf) Again, just type in mynissanleaf as a discount code when you click on the yellow starburst link on the home page. http://www.greendriveexpo.com/bay-area-expo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New info, sales date, range, pricing out today:

Toyota RAV4 EV – 103 Miles Of Range, 76 MPGe. On Sale September 24th – $599 Lease Offer. Amazing how well a 41.8 kWh lithium battery can overcome such a poor MPGe rating. 44 hours on a level 1 charge, lol

http://insideevs.com/toyota-rav4-ev-103-miles-of-range-76-mpge-on-sale-september-24th-599-lease-offer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Also added a newly minted video from Toyota at the end of the artile on the RAV EV4 and "Smart Energy Management", stuff about efficient systems, regen, etc...kinda interesting)

Info I got from a local dealer is that there is a $3200 rebate from Toyota, if you pay cash or go with their 1.9% financing deal. Dealers seem unlikely to go below MSRP, at least at the beginning. Looks like it's nicely equipped -- basically it's about $37-38K after rebates in CA, and a similarly-equipped gas RAV4 would be around $30K. Not a bad premium at all. But there are options unavailable, e.g., moonroof.

leafedbehind said:
Info I got from a local dealer is that there is a $3200 rebate from Toyota, if you pay cash or go with their 1.9% financing deal. Dealers seem unlikely to go below MSRP, at least at the beginning. Looks like it's nicely equipped -- basically it's about $37-38K after rebates in CA, and a similarly-equipped gas RAV4 would be around $30K. Not a bad premium at all. But there are options unavailable, e.g., moonroof.

Don't forget that you'll pay tax and DMV on the full $50k and unless you lease, you'll have to trust the IRS for the $7500 sometime next summer, assuming that your tax liability is high enough to qualify for the full rebate in one tax year.

Boomer23 said:
leafedbehind said:

Don't forget that you'll pay tax and DMV on the full $50k and unless you lease, you'll have to trust the IRS for the $7500 sometime next summer, assuming that your tax liability is high enough to qualify for the full rebate in one tax year.

Yes good points, and probably insurance premiums on the full $50K as well. I managed to get the $7500 for the Leaf, so I suspect I'd be similarly fortunate this time around. Basically it's about $12K more than a Leaf, but has quite a bit more range, much faster charger, clearly superior battery system, more power, more space, nicer interior, etc. What can I say -- I am very tempted to make this our second EV. I would keep our 12-year-old ICE for very long trips, and trade in a 12-year-old Honda Insight.

GRA said:
xtremeflyer said:
Is there a good forum out there for the RAV4 EV?
I see that this was established a week ago, but there aren't any posts yet:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was there a good forum before where people w/the original RAV4 EV would talk? (Yeah yeah, I know there a very few of them but I've seen them out in the wild before, including at a Stadium Nissan, when a family was picking up their new Leaf...)

Back