Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cossie1600 said:
As an owner of a Leaf and a RAV4, I can say this without bias. If you can afford it, buy the RAV4. It is SO MUCH better than the Leaf no matter how you look at it. I mean it does cost more money and uses more energy, but the car drives better, has more power, more usable space and way more options. I mean I don't mind getting into my S to get to and from work, but there is no way I want to drive the Leaf daily as it is not comfortable. Also the range on the Leaf is optimistic at best. You can beat the crap out of the RAV4 and it will deliver close to what it indicates. There is absolutely no comparsion, hands down RAV4 is a better car. At roughly $35K, it beats buying a SL with premium package for sure.

We own a 2011 LEAF and I replaced a 2002 RAV4-EV with 2012 RAV4-EV and I generally agree with cossie1600. For me there is one crucial (but huge) difference, the battery size. Once you've driven with a bigger battery it is hard to go back. I love the LEAF, I like the fact it is more efficient but the significantly more range in the RAV is such a joy. The paradox of the success of EVs in the SF bay area is that number of EVs far outstrip available charging stations so it is challenge to "guarantee" charging will be available for a trip. With the new RAV4-EV I can drive from Cupertino to SF/Berkeley and back at the speed limit with plenty of range left over.

Obviously a Tesla would also do the job for a bigger dent in the pocketbook.

arnold

My wife just did 95 miles driving 70mph to the outlet using only 80% charge. Meanwhile, I can barely mustard 102 miles out of the car with 100% plus 9 hours of 110v. The Leaf takes a huge hit in power once you go over 65. The RAV4 doesn't seem to change much. Both cars are a little noisy and bumpy, but the Leaf is really noisy and bumpy. If there is anything I do like about the Leaf's drivetrain, it's that the drivetrain doesn't make a whole lot of noise at idle. On the RAV4, a fan just cycles on and off every 30 sec. Extremely annoying.

I am waiting 3 years to see if I can hop in a Tesla type X or something. I am still a little short

arnolddeleon said:
cossie1600 said:
As an owner of a Leaf and a RAV4, I can say this without bias. If you can afford it, buy the RAV4. It is SO MUCH better than the Leaf no matter how you look at it. I mean it does cost more money and uses more energy, but the car drives better, has more power, more usable space and way more options. I mean I don't mind getting into my S to get to and from work, but there is no way I want to drive the Leaf daily as it is not comfortable. Also the range on the Leaf is optimistic at best. You can beat the crap out of the RAV4 and it will deliver close to what it indicates. There is absolutely no comparsion, hands down RAV4 is a better car. At roughly $35K, it beats buying a SL with premium package for sure.

We own a 2011 LEAF and I replaced a 2002 RAV4-EV with 2012 RAV4-EV and I generally agree with cossie1600. For me there is one crucial (but huge) difference, the battery size. Once you've driven with a bigger battery it is hard to go back. I love the LEAF, I like the fact it is more efficient but the significantly more range in the RAV is such a joy. The paradox of the success of EVs in the SF bay area is that number of EVs far outstrip available charging stations so it is challenge to "guarantee" charging will be available for a trip. With the new RAV4-EV I can drive from Cupertino to SF/Berkeley and back at the speed limit with plenty of range left over.

Obviously a Tesla would also do the job for a bigger dent in the pocketbook.

arnold

The problem for me is that I simply hate the previous version of the RAV4 (and I'm not that big of a fan of the 2014 either)... Period. End of discussion.

arnolddeleon said:
For me there is one crucial (but huge) difference, the battery size.

Surprised to see a RAV4 EV in the garage @ work today. Didn't get a chance to meet the owner yet. Looks pretty nice. And normal. If that's your thing. I know many folks don't like how different most EV's look.

Wonder if they drove it home or had it shipped.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Dianne reported at least 45 sales this month up thru yesterday morning what u saw was probably one of them

Dianne made $45,000 in direct "spiffs" from Toyota USA, and her manager got $22,750. It's amazing how she can sell 45 when most of the approved dealers are lucky to sell one.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Dianne reported at least 45 sales this month up thru yesterday morning what u saw was probably one of them

Dianne made $45,000 in direct "spiffs" from Toyota USA, and her manager got $22,750. It's amazing how she can sell 45 when most of the approved dealers are lucky to sell one.
I imagine being open on pricing and not trying to play games will go a long way with the majority of people who hate dealing with car salespeople. Especially with the generally better-informed EV market.

Dianne has earned respect that goes well beyond her neighborhood. I venture to say she controls most of the out of state sales for the RAV and that does not sound like an insignificant figure

TonyWilliams said:

Dealer games make me incredulous. The dealer we bought our Volt from sold at least 20 out of 70 leftover 2013 Volts this holiday weekend by giving solid deals (some might say blowout deals). The other dealer we were considering appeared to sell NONE of the 138 2013s they had in inventory by being less tha upfront when it came to pricing.

Even without the blowout pricing, I would have been inclined towards the dealer who didn't load his base cars up with crap pacakges and dealer add-ons.

Primarily for the Rav4, but certainly can be used with a LEAF.

null_zpse35914ee.jpg

http://www.TucsonEV.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, just $135 for the 70 amp J1772 plug for those converting their Tesla UMC. Sorry, I can't cut any deals with Tesla on the whole $650 UMC kit price :? For $200, I will attach the J1772 plug to the UMC. No warranty, expressed or implied. No claim of merchantability.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/model-s-mobile-connector-bundle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here ya go, 40 amp capable:

IMG_2147.jpg

Here is the UMC owner's manual:

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_mobile_connector_guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you attach the respective $45 plug, it will automatically use the following amperage:

.............................................VOLTS / AMPS................kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet 110 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 14-50......RVs and Camps. 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW
NEMA 6-50 .......Welding Equip... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW

Miles Gained per Hour Charging @ 87.5% charger efficiency
70F Ambient temperature - hotter or colder will decrease miles gained

---------------------- 2.7 miles/kWh - 3.4 miles/kWh
Amps/Volts -- Where ------ City Drive ----- 65mph

12 / 120 ------- Any ------ 2.8 miles ------ 3.5 miles (supplied cable with car)
12 / 240 ------ Home ----- 6.8 miles ------ 8.6 miles (EVSEupgrade.com mod)
16 / 208 ------ Public ----- 7.5 miles ------ 9.5 miles (2011-2012 LEEF EVSE doesn't work)
16 / 240 ------ Home ----- 8.9 miles ----- 11.2 miles (2011-2012 LEEF EVSE doesn't work)
20 / 208 ------ Public ----- 9.4 miles ----- 11.9 miles (2013 LEEF EVSEupgrade.com)
20 / 240 ------ Home ---- 11.0 miles ----- 13.9 miles (Clipper Creek LCS-25)
24 / 240 ------ Home ---- 13.6 miles ----- 17.7 miles (dryer outlet)
25 / 250 ------ Home ---- 13.7 miles ----- 17.9 miles (2013 LEEF EVSEupgrade.com)
30 / 208 ------ Public ---- 14.8 miles ----- 18.7 miles (typical public J1772)
30 / 240 ------ Home ---- 17.1 miles ----- 21.6 miles (rare public J1772)
40 / 208 ------ Public ---- 18.5 miles ----- 23.4 miles (Tesla Roadster/Clipper Creek)
40 / 240 ------ Home ---- 22.7 miles ----- 28.5 miles (RV park "50 amp", welder outlet)
60 / 208 ------ Public ---- 28.1 miles ----- 35.3 miles (twin 30 amp public chargers)
72 / 240 ------ Home ---- 41.0 miles ----- 52.0 miles (twin J1772 concept max)

mwalsh said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
$135 for the J-1772 handle? nice! prices finally getting "semi" reasonable

That appears to be a pretty decent looking handle too.

They are getting better. I make a number of modifications, including adding drainage holes, additional security for the cord from slipping out, in addition to thermal protection and a nifty LED light.

I plan to add Tesla remote control for the charge port.

Very bad news for anyone outside CA considering one of these.

Dianne at http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8857#p8857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; posted
Toyota has eliminated incentives for out of state buyers after Sept 30th, 2013. I guess you can still buy the car, as folks are... but no $14,000 incentive for out of state residents.
:eek:

TonyWilliams said:
They are getting better. I make a number of modifications, including adding drainage holes, additional security for the cord from slipping out, in addition to thermal protection and a nifty LED light.
batteryproblemmnl

Note that the cord set is from Uchen, formerly known as Dostar. Judging from the photo, this is likely their 2nd gen plug. It received an UL listing about a year ago, which I confirmed at the time. TucsonEV has been reselling Uchen plugs and cord sets for a while, even before they were UL listed. Some of the earlier products had an occasional problem with the latch mechanism, but the recent design appears to be much better. Although TucsonEV has significantly improved their pricing, likely due to increased competition, Uchen can usually offer pretty decent direct volume deals. The only problem is that not everyone might wish to build an inventory of J1772 cord sets in their garage. There is an older thread, where Uchen and their products were discussed.

For any who have been considering the Rav4-EV but have some trepidation because of its charge timer issues, I've created an app called RavCharge that mitigates the problem (and does other cool stuff too.) Reading about the timer problems caused me to almost change my mind about buying the Rav, but now I'm quite happy that I went through with it. Now just to figure out what to do with my sad little Leaf and its 10 capacity bars...

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
batteryproblemmnl

Note that the cord set is from Uchen, formerly known as Dostar. Judging from the photo, this is likely their 2nd gen plug. It received an UL listing about a year ago, which I confirmed at the time. TucsonEV has been reselling Uchen plugs and cord sets for a while, even before they were UL listed. Some of the earlier products had an occasional ...,

That bad J plug was NOT from Tucson EV. It is misleading to refer to it in a discussion about Tucson EV.

Back