Official Toyota Prius PHEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mitch672 said:
too little, too late, too expensive for a 15 mile EV range.
Disagree - the PIP is a very good complement to an EV in a 2+ car household.

PIP starts at $33k* - $2.5k fed tax credit - $1.5k CVRP rebate = $29k
Volt starts at $40k* - $7.5k fed tax credt = $32.5k

Without the CVRP rebate the two are very close in price after credits, but the running costs for the two are going to be very similar for most people. And the PIP is definitely more roomy if you need it.

Do I wish the PIP were less expensive and had more EV range? Sure - but those 2 objectives are currently contradictory.

I'm certainly not going to bash anyone who buys any kind of plug-in this early in the game - we need all the plug-ins on the road we can get - that includes EVs, EREVs and PHEVs.

[*] Prices are for base model including destination charges rounded to nearly $1k

you can feel anyway you want about the PiP, I myself have driven Priu for the last 10 years, I've owned all 3 generations, so I have a different view than most of you. You're almost better off with a standard Prius, for the money they are charging for the PiP, it will never save you money, so buy it for other reasons, such as not using gasoline, thats fine, but do not look at it as saving you money, as it will probably not over a standard Prius.

Most of the country has no "CA" like rebate, its just the $2,500 Federal rebate, another reason why the Volt or the Leaf have a big advantage.

Just received their email as well, like I said, too little too late for ME.

PRIUS PLUG-IN | TOYOTA.COM

don't miss the chance
to order your plug-in.

You registered early. You waited eagerly. On November 17 at 9 a.m. PST, you have the opportunity as a priority registrant to order your new 2012 Prius Plug-in while supplies last.

The countdown has begun.

mitch672 said:
for the money they are charging for the PiP, it will never save you money, so buy it for other reasons, such as not using gasoline, thats fine, but do not look at it as saving you money, as it will probably not over a standard Prius.
If one were looking for the most economical vehicle they'd go buy a $11k Nissan Versa. Unless you put an insane amount of miles on your regular Prius it's never going to save you money, either. At 33 mpg vs 50 mpg it's going to take $4/gal gas and 300k miles before you save money.

The Prius PIP will allow one to maintain the all the utility of a Prius while eliminating a significant amount of gasoline use without compromise. What other plug-in on the market today (or to be released in the next year) can make that claim?

These are the same arguments people make against the Prius - and now Prius fans are using those same arguments against the PIP. :? :? :?

drees said:
mitch672 said:
for the money they are charging for the PiP, it will never save you money, so buy it for other reasons, such as not using gasoline, thats fine, but do not look at it as saving you money, as it will probably not over a standard Prius.
If one were looking for the most economical vehicle they'd go buy a $11k Nissan Versa. Unless you put an insane amount of miles on your regular Prius it's never going to save you money, either. At 33 mpg vs 50 mpg it's going to take $4/gal gas and 300k miles before you save money.

The Prius PIP will allow one to maintain the all the utility of a Prius while eliminating a significant amount of gasoline use without compromise. What other plug-in on the market today (or to be released in the next year) can make that claim?

These are the same arguments people make against the Prius - and now Prius fans are using those same arguments against the PIP. :? :? :?

I am just saying for ME, its too little, too late, for too much $$$, the Leaf has "leapfrogged" the PiPs technology, I can live with the range of the Leaf, therefore trading in a Prius for ANOTHER Prius (plug in or not), is a sideways move for ME.
I am going all in, all electric, had Toyota gotten off their collective duffs and delivered an EV, or something with a usable EV range, that would be a different story. People will find once they get their PiPs, they want "more electric", those 15 miles are not even enough for a 1 way commute for me, for example. I've done my part saving gasoline, with 10 years of driving Priu, time to move on, sorry Toyota.

drees said:
PIP starts at $32k - $2.5k fed tax credit - $1.5k CVRP rebate = $28k
Volt starts at $40k - $7.5k fed tax credt = $32.5k

The 2012 Volt MSRP is $39,145. No word yet on the 2013 MSRP. If the price were maintained it would be $39,145 - $7.5k fed tax credit - $1.5k CVRP rebate = $30,145.

The Volt will qualify for the same CVRP rebate soon after the PiP becomes available next Spring.

"It is anticipated that General Motors will certify the 2013 model year Chevrolet Volt, due out in summer 2012, to exhaust and warranty standards that will make it eligible for the rebate."

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/frequently-asked-questions-cvrp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JeffN said:
drees said:
PIP starts at $32k - $2.5k fed tax credit - $1.5k CVRP rebate = $28k
Volt starts at $40k - $7.5k fed tax credt = $32.5k
The 2012 Volt MSRP is $39,145. No word yet on the 2013 MSRP. If the price were maintained it would be $39,145 - $7.5k fed tax credit - $1.5k CVRP rebate = $30,145.
Good point - looks like my PIP price excluded delivery fee of $760 while the Volt price I quoted included it. Edited my earlier post.
JeffN said:
The Volt will qualify for the same CVRP rebate soon after the PiP becomes available next Spring.
Didn't GM originally say the Volt would qualify for the CVRP rebate for the 2012 model year? I won't hold my breath, but if they do, Toyota will have more competition. Now if only they'd lose 500 lbs from the Volt and put it in a chassis that had some decent back-seat room and get CS mode to at least 45 mpg we'd have a real race!

Is any on in SF Bay area placing an order? If so what pricing have you struck the deal at? I was the one who worked with Boardwalk Nissan for the deal on the Leaf. My wife and I decided over the weekend to place an order for the prius as well but I just have 2 days to figure out the pricing and details. so if anyone already has figured out the deal, please PM me or email me.

Thx

TEG said:
I think Toyota will make some PiP sales in California to people who just want to buy the carpool and/or EV parking perk that goes along with only that model. Otherwise it is a lot more to pay for the MPG improvement.

I'd venture to guess they will sell a lot of that reason and it would seem it may cut into the Leaf sales as well for that reason.

It is apparently motivating GM as well based on this article comments:

Banished from the H.O.V. Lane, Prius Drivers May Be First to Embrace New Plug-In Model
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/banished-from-the-h-o-v-lane-prius-drivers-may-be-first-to-embrace-new-plug-in-model/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Prius plug-in, classified by California as an Enhanced Advanced Technology Partial-Zero Emission Vehicle, or EAT-PZEV, also makes the cut.

In states following California’s emissions standards, the plug-in car’s lithium-ion battery pack carries a 10-year, 150,000-mile warranty. In other states, the battery warranty will be eight years and 100,000 miles. The longer-term warranty was necessary to earn the new Prius EAT-PZEV status and consequently give its drivers access to California’s H.O.V. lanes.

That warranty stipulation prevented the 2011 Chevrolet Volt, among the most fuel-efficient vehicles on any road, from earning EAT-PZEV emissions status; the Volt has an eight-year, 100,000-mile battery warranty.

But not for much longer.

General Motors pledged last year to offer a 10-year, 150,000-mile warranty for the 2012 Volt and seek EAT-PZEV emissions status.

Rob Peterson, a G.M. spokesman, said in a telephone interview Tuesday that 2012 Volts, with the longer battery warranty would be available in California in the second quarter of next year. He added that G.M. had “no lack of confidence in the battery,” but needed to add some emissions hardware to the 2012 model before it could meet the criteria laid out by California regulators. He said that the H.O.V.-compliant Volt should be on the road “around the same time” as the Prius plug-in.

The above became official per http://green.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/new-enhat-pzev-chevy-volt-ready-for-california-hov-access-extra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

drees said:
PIP starts at $33k* - $2.5k fed tax credit - $1.5k CVRP rebate = $29k

i looked at the CVRP website and there's no mention of the PiP, other than to point to plugincars.com saying that more cars could be added if they satisfy the ARB requirements.

did i miss something somewhere? do we know that toyota intends to apply for this?

thanks.

About 2K orders in one day (starting 9:00 AM yesterday).

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/100210-whats-your-order-number-9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently 5K available, before they post sold out (though because of a bug, they had been posting sold out even though it wasn't).

evnow said:
About 2K orders in one day (starting 9:00 AM yesterday).

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/100210-whats-your-order-number-9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently 5K available, before they post sold out (though because of a bug, they had been posting sold out even though it wasn't).

to be fair the "sold out" bug was sometimes related to slow page loads (where it would briefly flash) or totally overloaded servers (where the thing that was supposed to cover up the "we're sold out" graphic did not load). it's not that their backend thought they were actually sold out, it was more of a web design issue.

anyway, in for one. oh wait, this isnt woot.com.

TomT said:
Something with a "13-15 mile electric range" (as the latest blurb I just got from Toyota touts), isn't an electric car in any sense in my book. I suspect that many of them will never even GET plugged in... I think that the state should have set a minimum electric range to qualify for the green stickers for PHEVs just as they set a minimum mpg to qualify for the yellow ones for hybrids... So, now you how *I* feel about the subject...

TEG said:
How do Leaf owners feel about Plug-in Priuses being parked in the public charge spots?

Oh brother, that's over the top. Toyota never said it's an electric car. It's a plug-in hybrid.

wcanl said:
Oh brother, that's over the top. Toyota never said it's an electric car. It's a plug-in hybrid.
I do think in a few years - PHEVs that can't travel at freeway speed in EV mode will lose the HOV access. But that is still may be 5 years away.

evnow said:
wcanl said:
I do think in a few years - PHEVs that can't travel at freeway speed in EV mode will lose the HOV access. But that is still may be 5 years away.

how about simplify things...can't travel in High Occupancy Vehicle lane unless you have High Occupancy in your vehicle. In 5 years there will be enough EV's and PHEV's to just put the rules back the way they were intended.

palmermd said:
how about simplify things...can't travel in High Occupancy Vehicle lane unless you have High Occupancy in your vehicle. In 5 years there will be enough EV's and PHEV's to just put the rules back the way they were intended.
That is a possibility - thats how we do it in WA.

But currently, any incentive that improves plugin sales is welcome.

Figured I'd link this here too in case anyone was interested and doesn't read the Phoenix thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=165111#p165111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back