Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsleaf said:
Agreed, the $500 number is a really bad idea. Fortunately it didn't cloud the issue too much. People just ignore it as marketing nonsense, but I do think it lowers Tesla's credibility a little bit.

I think it's meant to get people to think. Time does have a value. Had I kept my previous car instead of the LEAF I would have made at least 40 fueling stops by now. In addition to the time itself and the general unpleasantness of supplicating myself at the reverse-ATM, stopping for gas was always rather a pain in the ass. Either it was making me late in the morning or an unpleasant chore on the way home after a tough day (when time is really precious to me). Leading to postponement until the next morning... etc. Ok I'm lazy and a poor planner. In any case I'm totally pleased that it's not part of my routine any longer. That is a value to me, and a significant value that I hadn't fully given thought to when buying the LEAF.

For anyone seriously considering a Model S in the first place, chances are pretty good that they have a decent amount money, but would like more TIME. It's very relevant.

Nubo said:
gsleaf said:
Agreed, the $500 number is a really bad idea. Fortunately it didn't cloud the issue too much. People just ignore it as marketing nonsense, but I do think it lowers Tesla's credibility a little bit.

I think it's meant to get people to think. Time does have a value. Had I kept my previous car instead of the LEAF I would have made at least 40 fueling stops by now. In addition to the time itself and the general unpleasantness of supplicating myself at the reverse-ATM, stopping for gas was always rather a pain in the ass. Either it was making me late in the morning or an unpleasant chore on the way home after a tough day (when time is really precious to me). Leading to postponement until the next morning... etc. Ok I'm lazy and a poor planner. In any case I'm totally pleased that it's not part of my routine any longer. That is a value to me, and a significant value that I hadn't fully given thought to when buying the LEAF.

For anyone seriously considering a Model S in the first place, chances are pretty good that they have a decent amount money, but would like more TIME. It's very relevant.

I would agree with that. fact is, we haven't stopped at a gas station in months and that is liberating. putting a dollar value on it is controversial but does get people thinking outside the pump.

Hey, Tesla fans,

If you haven't been reading the Tesla Forums, you may have missed these threads, but Tesla needs your help. I started a separate thread for it here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please, sign the petition!

Early adopter numbers are not an indication of what will happen long term. Look at what happened to Leaf.

Tesla has to fix all those niggling issues that seem to plague most cars and their service strategy has to improve dramatically with lot more service stations and trained technicians. And of course there is this big question of how the battery/range will hold up after a summer or two. Only time will tell.

mkjayakumar said:
Early adopter numbers are not an indication of what will happen long term. Look at what happened to Leaf.

Tesla has to fix all those niggling issues that seem to plague most cars and their service strategy has to improve dramatically with lot more service stations and trained technicians. And of course there is this big question of how the battery/range will hold up after a summer or two. Only time will tell.

All that is true, however, Tesla continues to update the car software to improve things. And they continue to service any cars that need it, weather in a service area or with Tesla Rangers.

As for batteries, the Roadster battery packs had amazingly little degradation (about 1%/10,000 miles).
The Model S packs should be at least as good, although I only have about 9100 miles and 6+ months so far, so too early to tell.

Zythryn said:
As for batteries, the Roadster battery packs had amazingly little degradation (about 1%/10,000 miles)
I've driven my Tesla Roadster 40,486 miles and my CAC is now 144.03 which represents a ~10% loss in capacity.

mkjayakumar said:

I think the jury is still out on that one -- you only have to look at the record March 2013 LEAF sales to think the next wave of buyers could be much larger than the initial early adopters.

KevinSharpe said:
Zythryn said:
As for batteries, the Roadster battery packs had amazingly little degradation (about 1%/10,000 miles)
I've driven my Tesla Roadster 40,486 miles and my CAC is now 144.03 which represents a ~10% loss in capacity.

Did you contribute to the data group at Tesla Motors Club?
If not, please do, the more data we get the better.
I fell in very close to the average after 27,000 miles and 27 months.

Your rate of degradationhigher is higher than LEAFs in my area. Using the GID meter, Steve Marsh was near 60,000 when he hit your level of degradation

KevinSharpe said:
Zythryn said:

mkjayakumar said:

I would suggest that there are a lot fewer "early adapters" buying the Tesla Model S. a lot of motor heads and general public are purchasing the car, it's turning heads and muffling the FUD because it has such amazing looks and high performance and as was mentioned, the Leaf is on the rebound.

Tesla is doing a great job fixing little issues that come up and the service strategy just got a big shot in the arm with extended service options, even an unlimited Ranger option where the car is serviced at your home or work. they are offering Model S loaner cars too for those who need to bring the car in for service.

As for the battery, time has already "told". Tesla has what, 5,000 roadsters worldwide, some with substantial miles. most owners are reporting pretty moderate battery degradation over the years with the Roadster, even in places like Phoenix, AZ. Tesla has surely taken what they have learned from the Roadster and applied it to the S. With temperature management, the Tesla S should also not suffer the kinds of issues that the Leaf has, even in extreme hot climates. If anything, the Tesla S should hold up better than the Roadster, which would put it's degradation in what I believe most folks will find to be an acceptable realm. Here in the Seattle area, the Tesla S should fair even better, with moderate ambient temperatures. combine moderate temps with mid pack cycling and who knows, we could be looking at decades of performance from a single pack.

Elon just got awarded one of Time Magazine's top 100 most influential people!

"His Tesla Motors and SolarCity companies are making a clean, renewable-energy future a reality. It’s a paradox that Elon is working to improve our planet at the same time he’s building spacecraft to help us leave it. But true vision is binocular — and Elon Musk is clearly a man who can see many things at once."

http://time100.time.com/2013/04/18/cover-shots/slide/elon-musk/

derkraut said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
At the current rate Tesla market cap will exceed Apple in about three months.

I'm shorting TSLA bigtime. IMHO, I'll make enough profit within a year to get a free Model S. The bubble is about to bust.
And if it doesn't? You're a brave man - I'm looking at it the other way. Nothing personal, and sorry if you guess wrong and then can't afford a Versa. ;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
KevinSharpe said:
Zythryn said:
Your rate of degradationhigher is higher than LEAFs in my area. Using the GID meter, Steve Marsh was near 60,000 when he hit your level of degradation
Looking only at miles when it's clear that for most calendar life is a bigger issue is comparing apples and oranges. I bet you don't find any 3-4 yo LEAFs with 40k miles with significantly less than 10% loss in capacity...

GaslessInSeattle said:
Sales of the Tesla S are beating Audi, BMW and Benz in the Large Luxury Sedan market: Outselling Audi A8, BMW 7-Series and the Mercedes-Benz S, the Lexus LS, and a handful of other full-size sedans.

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-t...aign=Feed:+businessinsider+(Business+Insider)

“Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it”

But I thought the Tesla Model S was technically a hatchback? Anyway...

So the article's author clearly states the Cadillac XTS sold more than the unofficial Tesla delivery numbers in the "Large Luxury Sedan" segment but because he feels "commentators" (whoever they are) don't consider the XTS in comparison to German large luxury automobiles, the unofficial Teslas deliveries somehow lead this Large Luxury Sedan market in units sold. Even though the XTS sold over 7000 between Jan-Mar.

Talk about convoluted math. The author states "There is one car in the large luxury segment that outsold the Tesla Model S, however." Then how could Tesla possibly have sold more cars in this quarter in this market category?

Early adopter sales to tech heads in Silicon Valley nary make consistent vehicle sales projections. Especially since these numbers are unofficial and even if they are later confirmed to be 4750 or so, these sales are to people who have been waiting for quite some time.

It's looking more and more that Tesla will sell a lot of cars at first and sales will wane. We'll have a much better idea in third and fourth quarter sales.

Tesla fanboys, it's gonna be a hard fall. Look, I'm just sayin'. Reel in the emotion because it will be a whole lot easier to take when sales of Model S' at this time next year are in the dumper.

I know Elon is your hero and you wish you could buy an action figure of him but the stock and sales figures are artificially high. We've been down this EV road before...

drees said:
Looking only at miles when it's clear that for most calendar life is a bigger issue is comparing apples and oranges. I bet you don't find any 3-4 yo LEAFs with 40k miles with significantly less than 10% loss in capacity...
The Battery Aging Model (which nailed the capacity loss for TaylorSFGuy in Washington state) predicts that 3 years and 40,000 miles in Seattle with 4 miles per kwh and no parking in the sun will have about a 12% capacity loss--so I would agree with your guess.

Train said:
Tesla fanboys, it's gonna be a hard fall. Look, I'm just sayin'. Reel in the emotion because it will be a whole lot easier to take when sales of Model S' at this time next year are in the dumper.

I know Elon is your hero and you wish you could buy an action figure of him but the stock and sales figures are artificially high. We've been down this EV road before...

nothin' wrong with a little cheer leading Mr. Debbie Downer, this is the Tesla thread after all! no one has a crystal ball and i think we are all capable of rolling with the punches if the tide turns. Even if it's short lived, it's a hell of a ride! :lol:

Back