Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Musk is spinning the "lease" because he's quite aware that at this time next year, that Freemont factory may not be churning out 500 cars a week. I believe demand will significantly slow and this might be the only way to try to get someone to wrap their head around spending this much money for a four door sedan not named Mercedes, BMW, etc.

I admire the man's aspirations. But I just don't see this company holding together longterm.

Train said:
I admire the man's aspirations. But I just don't see this company holding together longterm.

Since we have a lot of new forum readers with over 2000 new LEAFs sold in March 2013 (and Tesla selling 500 per week), I will just point out that Train is a consistent "Debbie Downer" on Tesla.

="edatoakrun

I wonder.

IF Tesla structured this program as a conventional lease, might the future (potential) liability be required to be accounted for differently, quite possibly making Tesla's future projections of profits, look a bit...different?

Maybe the inference I made above was not clear.

The real funny numbers in the Tesla not-a-lease offer, may be how the accounting for this resale guarantee will show up on Tesla's financial disclosures.

It sounds like it won't show up at all.

Since this is a personal guarantee by Musk, not an offer by TSLA, the potential liability of paying thousands of dollars per each S repurchase, for the tens of thousands of S's Tesla claims it can sell.

So a potential liability of hundreds of millions of dollars, an amount quite possibly exceeding all projected profits by TSLA over the next few years, appears likely to be absent from all of TSLA's future mandatory financial disclosures.

Another report of some funny behavior by TSLA is reported below:

...Coming back to the profit reported by Tesla for the first quarter of this year, it seems that the company pulled a few strings to make it happen. According to a report from Bloomberg, Tesla urged customers who had reserved cars, but had not yet made their payments, to do so.

In a March email sent by Tesla to a client, the carmaker asked for help in reaching the milestone that would help the company and its customers:

“Tesla is right on the cusp of profitability this quarter for the first time in 10 years since the company started. This is a huge company milestone that will not only be great for the company, but also for our customers. In order for Tesla to be able to count your Model S for the quarter, we simply need to receive payment,” reads the email obtained by Bloomberg Television’s Cory Johnson, who said Tesla confirmed the email.

What this means is that Tesla became profitable by receiving payments ahead of schedule, also giving its stock price a significant increase in the process. However, there could be a side effect to this move – Tesla’s second-quarter results could suffer since payments that would have been made in the coming months were made ahead of schedule...

You can watch Bloomberg Television’s report on this interesting story below:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/04/tesla-asked-customers-to-pay-for-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The term "...surge in cancellations..." is used in the video.

Not sure how valid all the Bloomberg reporter's reasoning is, but he does point out some real questions about just how solid TSLA's business plan is, IMO.

edatoakrun said:
Assumption by Bloomberg reporter is probably not valid - even though Tesla spokesman should have explained better. There are a number of reasons many reservation holders are still waiting for their cars - they haven't all cancelled (as Bloomberg assumed).

In fact, I know a few who have placed first time orders in the last couple of months... One I know is coming from a $200K Bentley. I think Telsa will continue to do just fine in the future.

evnow said:
edatoakrun said:
Assumption by Bloomberg reporter is probably not valid - even though Tesla spokesman should have explained better. There are a number of reasons many reservation holders are still waiting for their cars - they haven't all cancelled (as Bloomberg assumed).

Have you seen the Batman edition...

attachment.php

Thats the batgirl edition :)

Why dont banks offer leases on Model S?.. perhaps because they dont know what the retained value will be at the end of a lease?

Indeed, with each new milestone that Tesla achieves, the "Trains" of this world only reposition their doubt on the next rung in the ladder.

TonyWilliams said:
Train said:

Since we have a lot of new forum readers with over 2000 new LEAFs sold in March 2013 (and Tesla selling 500 per week), I will just point out that Train is a consistent "Debbie Downer" on Tesla.

mwalsh said:
How can I reconcile a desire to see Tesla succeed with a desire to see Elon Musk living in a cardboard refrigerator carton under a freeway overpass?

A bit harsh, no? Elon needs to attend the "Steve Jobs public speaking and etiquette school", if he was a bit more polished he might come across a little better. Too bad Steve's not around to hold the classes any longer. Teslas either going to be wildly successful, or be bought and the buyers will be wildly successful... My money (literally) is on TSLA :)

mitch672 said:
mwalsh said:
How can I reconcile a desire to see Tesla succeed with a desire to see Elon Musk living in a cardboard refrigerator carton under a freeway overpass?

A bit harsh, no? Elon needs to attend the "Steve Jobs public speaking and etiquette school", if he was a bit more polished he might come across a little better. Too bad Steve's not around to hold the classes any longer. Teslas either going to be wildly successful, or be bought and the buyers will be wildly successful... My money (literally) is on TSLA :)

No, he's just an arrogant ass.

Tesla (and Space X) will likely succeed in spite of him, not because of him...

mwalsh said:

mwalsh said:
No, he's just an arrogant ass.

Oh and a Carlos Goshens any better? pleeease. Elon's a self-made billionaire, he's the closest we have to a real life "Tony Stark" (Ironman). We could use many more Elon's, but they broke the mold, they are few and far between. We need bold business leaders, visionaries, people who say why not, rather than it can't be done.

Back