Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Berlino said:
scottf200 said:
I was even able to get my papers and pens out of the glove compartment.

Were the pens diamond and gold plated? I'm not sure I would have gone for those with the car smoking.

with the number of quotes from his statement you seemed to have missed the fact that he retrieved the items after the fire was put out.

how about quoting his statement that the passenger cabin did not burn?

**edit* with all this energy devoted to the fires we seem to forget one of the most important metrics here

"knowing all that you know now, if you had the chance to do it all over again; would you still have chosen the Tesla?"

now, most manufacturers consider a 90% yes to be a runaway success.

Tesla's score so far?? 100%

And they actually pull it, that is... :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
He's a doctor. Many of them suffer from a God complex and refuse to seek help from anyone.
There is an old saying in general aviation: "The scariest thing in the air is a doctor in a Bonanza..."

The doctors have moved on to the Cirrus, so all is well as long as the parachute is up there.

I loved the part when the firemen were about to pry open the doors and the owner opened them with the key fob :lol:

Berlino said:
About 30-45 seconds later, there was a warning on the dashboard display saying, "Car needs service. Car may not restart." I continued to drive

What will it take to get him to pull over?
Are you kidding? 'Car may not restart'? With that message I would have definitely wanted to carry on driving to get off the highway!

Both owners who hit objects on the road. (Fires #1 and #3) are ordering new Tesla Model S's, that is a powerful statement.

Also, on fire #2, the drunk in Mexico who destroyed 35' of guard rail and then slammed into a tree, got out and walked away. In many cars, that wouldn't be possible. The common theme here is, no driver or passenger in a Tesla Model S has been killed or suffered permanent injuries (yet).

Of course that statistic won't hold up indefinitely, but some if these accidents have been pretty bad so far, and the car has protected it's occupants.

DaveinOlyWA said:
with the number of quotes from his statement you seemed to have missed the fact that he retrieved the items after the fire was put out.

This is not entirely clear. He was already unloading objects before he saw fire, without ever checking to see what the damage might be.

I got out of the car, and started to get all my belongings out. About 5-10 seconds after getting out of the car, smoke started to come from the front underbody of the car.

How is this relevant to his deciding to drive on a highway with a damaged vehicle? Yes, he was able to stop safely, and it's a credit to Tesla. However, it's completely negligent to suffer a high-speed collision strong enough to lift a 4,500 car, yet continue driving until forced to stop.

donald said:
Are you kidding? 'Car may not restart'? With that message I would have definitely wanted to carry on driving to get off the highway!

I don't know what to say. I can afford a tow-truck.

If my car is ever rocked by a large metal object and the vehicle spits out a warning, I'm definitely stopping.

TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
He's a doctor. Many of them suffer from a God complex and refuse to seek help from anyone.
There is an old saying in general aviation: "The scariest thing in the air is a doctor in a Bonanza..."

The doctors have moved on to the Cirrus, so all is well as long as the parachute is up there.
Lawyers in Mooney Mustangs are right up there also. I speak from 1st hand experience. :(

Berlino said:
donald said:

I don't know what to say. I can afford a tow-truck.

If my car is ever rocked by a large metal object and the vehicle spits out a warning, I'm definitely stopping.

oh my mistake. I took your quote to mean that he was taking some sort of personal risk to himself by retrieving the pens.

I agree that him not stopping immediately is "strange"

Me? I would have stopped to gather witnesses and photos of the offending object while gathering my thoughts as to who will be financially responsible for my situation...

but he is a Dr. money holds a different position on his ladder of life than mine

Berlino said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

This is not entirely clear. He was already unloading objects before he saw fire, without ever checking to see what the damage might be.

I got out of the car, and started to get all my belongings out. About 5-10 seconds after getting out of the car, smoke started to come from the front underbody of the car.

How is this relevant to his deciding to drive on a highway with a damaged vehicle? Yes, he was able to stop safely, and it's a credit to Tesla. However, it's completely negligent to suffer a high-speed collision strong enough to lift a 4,500 car, yet continue driving until forced to stop.

oh my mistake. I took your quote to mean that he was taking some sort of personal risk to himself by retrieving the pens.

Me? I would have stopped to solicit witnesses and photos of the offending object while gathering my thoughts as to who will be financially responsible for my situation...

but he is a Dr. money holds a different position on his ladder of life than mine

Good point! :)

derkraut said:
TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
Lawyers in Mooney Mustangs are right up there also. I speak from 1st hand experience. :(

DaveinOlyWA said:
If it is a busy road there is far more risk in stopping than going ahead to stop at the first suitable refuge, unless something felt wrong with steering or brakes, or strange noises appeared immediately, that would be a different matter, of course.

Sounds like the car carried on just fine after that, albeit that the battery damage was not yet known of by the driver.

You should always avoid stopping on a fast highway if possible.

scottf200 said:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-owner-tennessee

November 9, 2013
From a Model S owner in Tennessee
By Juris Shibayama, MD

I was driving home from work on the interstate in the right lane at approximately 70 miles per hour, following a truck. In the middle of the lane, there was a rusty three-pronged trailer hitch that was sticking up with the ball up in the air. The truck in front of me cleared the object. I did not have enough time to swerve to avoid the hitch, and it went below my car.
IMO he was following too close. I don't know that road but most have a shoulder to swerve to if in the right lane.

More gnashing of teeth...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/11/12/teslas-fires-what-are-some-potential-long-term-ramifications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of them very much seem to be caused by running over objects or being driven through walls and hitting a tree

You know you're having a bad day when you drive through a wall AND crash into a tree.

a law firm announced Friday that it had filed a class-action suit against the electric car maker for allegedly misleading investors over the fire risk posed by the company’s Model S sedan.

http://blog.sfgate.com/energy/2013/11/08/tesla-model-s-fires-lead-to-investor-lawsuit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The firm of Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross accused Tesla of making misleading statements about the car’s safety, in spite of “undisclosed puncture and fire risks” that the law firm attributes to “material defects” in the Model S battery pack.

donald said:
a law firm announced Friday that it had filed a class-action suit against the electric car maker for allegedly misleading investors over the fire risk posed by the company’s Model S sedan.

http://blog.sfgate.com/energy/2013/11/08/tesla-model-s-fires-lead-to-investor-lawsuit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The firm of Pomerantz Grossman Hufford Dahlstrom & Gross accused Tesla of making misleading statements about the car’s safety, in spite of “undisclosed puncture and fire risks” that the law firm attributes to “material defects” in the Model S battery pack.
Great. The legal stock vultures swoop in for an easy meal.

I've seen it with my stocks over and over: if the stock goes down it must be because management misled investors, right? I wish more companies would fight these scam artists rather than roll-over, but it is more cost-effective to settle.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/10/24/dick-van-dyke-jaguar/3177097/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just run out and get another one, because they are so wonderful, and nobody in the media asks question one about the cause... but keep a fire extinguisher on the front seat next to you, because an 87 year old guy should have no trouble at all dealing with such an emergency.

LTLFTcomposite said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/10/24/dick-van-dyke-jaguar/3177097/

Just run out and get another one, because they are so wonderful, and nobody in the media asks question one about the cause... but keep a fire extinguisher on the front seat next to you, because an 87 year old guy should have no trouble at all dealing with such an emergency.
more money than brains?

Back