Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Pasadena, CA and got my EVSE from the EV Project.

In general I've been happy with the experience: There were a few teething issues, however the Blink technical support was very helpful in resolving them and they were responsive to the needs of home users.

Having a hard-wired charger is really nice because you don't have to dig the 110 charger out of your trunk -- it's much easier to pop the charger port and plug in. I wish that I had a 6.6 kW on-board charger like we have in the RAV4-EV and we used to have in our EV1s... but even at 3.3 kW there is enough of a difference between that and charging at 110 that you won't regret the money spent.

Personally, my *main* motivation in participating in the project was to provide my charging & driving data. I want EVs to be successful. Getting the free charging station was a nice bonus. :)

Can you tell me how long did the process take from the time you signed up until you got the charging station?

rcyoder said:
I'm in Pasadena, CA and got my EVSE from the EV Project.

In general I've been happy with the experience: There were a few teething issues, however the Blink technical support was very helpful in resolving them and they were responsive to the needs of home users.

Having a hard-wired charger is really nice because you don't have to dig the 110 charger out of your trunk -- it's much easier to pop the charger port and plug in. I wish that I had a 6.6 kW on-board charger like we have in the RAV4-EV and we used to have in our EV1s... but even at 3.3 kW there is enough of a difference between that and charging at 110 that you won't regret the money spent.

Personally, my *main* motivation in participating in the project was to provide my charging & driving data. I want EVs to be successful. Getting the free charging station was a nice bonus. :)

I first contacted the EV project on 9/18/12 to inquire about the chargers. I provided my info and was approved pending proof of purchase. I purchased my car on 10/10/12 and the charger was installed on 10/15/12.

Thanks, I called them yesterday and the person on the other end said that the only Leaf that qualifies are the SL model with the quick charge port. That means my SV is out. Are there any other programs out there that I would qualify for?

davissc44 said:
I first contacted the EV project on 9/18/12 to inquire about the chargers. I provided my info and was approved pending proof of purchase. I purchased my car on 10/10/12 and the charger was installed on 10/15/12.

sc91006 said:
Thanks, I called them yesterday and the person on the other end said that the only Leaf that qualifies are the SL model with the quick charge port. That means my SV is out. Are there any other programs out there that I would qualify for?

That is very confusing. The chargers are level 2 which is what is standard on the SV. The quick charge port which is standard on the SL only connects to the DC fast chargers (which are almost non-existant). Furthermore, I have a SV and the EV project paid for my install. I think you talked to the wrong person. Try again and tell them you have a SL if that's what it takes because they are probably confused.

davissc44 said:
That is very confusing. The chargers are level 2 which is what is standard on the SV. The quick charge port which is standard on the SL only connects to the DC fast chargers (which are almost non-existant). Furthermore, I have a SV and the EV project paid for my install. I think you talked to the wrong person. Try again and tell them you have a SL if that's what it takes because they are probably confused.

When the EV Project arrived in the San Francisco Bay Area, you did need to have a SL with QC port to qualify for the program. In fact, they called people who had reservations for a SV and asked if they wanted to change their reservation to the SL with QC to qualify for the program (it led to unintended problems but that's another story).

While you are correct that they only install a L2 in the homes of participants, I don't believe that the official policy has changed since then. The program likely has a clause where they would like to follow usage patterns for the DC fast chargers when they are actually in place. You must be one of the few that slipped through the cracks by having a SV and being allowed as a participant.

sc91006 said:

Looks like the LADWP still has rebates for EVSEs if you install a second meter (may be related to the EV Project), but I'd assume that Arcadia is serviced by SCE, who doesn't currently provide any rebates for EVSE installs.

waitingforaleaf said:
sc91006 said:

Looks like the LADWP still has rebates for EVSEs if you install a second meter (may be related to the EV Project), but I'd assume that Arcadia is serviced by SCE, who doesn't currently provide any rebates for EVSE installs.

That's correct SCE doesn't have any rebates. So, where can I get a L2 charger for a decent price and can also be mounted to the exterior on my house?

Ecotality sent an electrician to my home wednesday. I got the bid today. Their installer wants $2150 for an install that includes running 70' of conduit . $1200 is subsidized. So out-of-pocket would be $950 . Charger is free (provided by them). The labor through ecotality is obviously inflated. Their electrician told me there is a lot of red tape involved with the DOA program, which is what inflates the costs, not actual electrical install costs ...

My electrician only wants $800 for the same job. That's before a $300 San Jose permit fee, though. And I have to provide the charger on my own. I have one Voltec I bought from a forum user for $300. But adding everything that's still $800 for install + $300 permit + $300 for Voltec = $1400 . So it's still cheaper by $450 to do it through Ecotality. The Blink charger is better than the Voltec also, Blink is 30A vs 15A for Voltec. But of course that doesn't really matter for my MY 2012 Leaf.

With all the Leaf's sold recently in the bay area, Ecotality has a backlog and isn't able to provide their chargers fast enough according to what I was told, so it would take at least another month to get it installed at my home. I haven't made my decision yet, but will probably go with Ecotality and sell my Voltec at some point.

madbrain said:
Ecotality sent an electrician to my home wednesday. I got the bid today. Their installer wants $2150 for an install that includes running 70' of conduit . $1200 is subsidized. So out-of-pocket would be $950 . Charger is free (provided by them). The labor through ecotality is obviously inflated. Their electrician told me there is a lot of red tape involved with the DOA program, which is what inflates the costs, not actual electrical install costs ...

My electrician only wants $800 for the same job. That's before a $300 San Jose permit fee, though. And I have to provide the charger on my own. I have one Voltec I bought from a forum user for $300. But adding everything that's still $800 for install + $300 permit + $300 for Voltec = $1400 . So it's still cheaper by $450 to do it through Ecotality. The Blink charger is better than the Voltec also, Blink is 30A vs 15A for Voltec. But of course that doesn't really matter for my MY 2012 Leaf.

With all the Leaf's sold recently in the bay area, Ecotality has a backlog and isn't able to provide their chargers fast enough according to what I was told, so it would take at least another month to get it installed at my home. I haven't made my decision yet, but will probably go with Ecotality and sell my Voltec at some point.

Wow yea i know there was an inflation on the installation. my install was $1650 - $400 install credit and they pushed an additional 250 credit so I paid $1000 total. about 50-70ft of 8gauge wireing fished through my walls and around 10ft of conduit on the outside to the unit. (no garage) good thing is when I move the installation was done so clean I can yank out my 40amp breaker, most of the 8gauge wire and remove the conduit and take it with me. (i paid for it and it wont go with the house LOL)

I debated on just recieving the EVSE free from ECOtality and having a local electrican install the box and reduce the warranty down to 1 year.... But I didnt want to go back and forth and wait 2 additional weeks for delivery of the unit as the electrican hired already had them in stock.

Either way i have had ZERO issues and its been a great unit. Ill be modifing the install with a NEMA waterproof box so that it can be a removable plug and play install for when i travel. Unit is kinda big, but without the big surround plastic its a decent size.

madbrain said:

I'm the first one to call it out when someone is overcharging, etc., but the higher installation costs for the EV Project are due to the terms in the DOE grant itself. ECOtality is forced to pay prevailing wages which are related to the Davis-Bacon act for public works projects (which dates back to the 1930s). So they can't use that cut-rate electrician/contractor that you might be able to hire yourself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis%E2%80%93Bacon_Act" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PracticingHuman said:
Cheezmo said:
I thought the subsidy was only $400 now. Is it still $1200 in some areas?

Here in the Pacific Northwest it is only $400.

PH, would you be able to refer me to information on this? I'm in Seattle, considering jumping on the $199 lease deal. TIA!

DaveHanson said:
PracticingHuman said:
Cheezmo said:

PH, would you be able to refer me to information on this? I'm in Seattle, considering jumping on the $199 lease deal. TIA!

Check the EV project terms & conditions, search for "ADDITIONAL TERMS THAT MAY APPLY BASED UPON YOUR GEOGRAPHICAL AREA"

https://www.blinknetwork.com/rpa-terms-and-conditions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the SF Bay Area, the BAAQMD is kicking in another $700 in addition to the $400 installation reimbursement.

DaveHanson said:
PracticingHuman said:
Cheezmo said:

I'm in Tacoma, and actually the guy from McKinstry is in the garage installing the charging station as I type this. The paperwork that I had to sign for EV Project shows the estimate from McKinstry then a line item deduction for $400 credit from EV Project.

DaveHanson said:
PracticingHuman said:
Cheezmo said:

I can confirm that I got $400 from DOE and $250 from SPX.
So total was $650.00 towards installation, in Seattle.

In the SF bay area the DOE contributes 400 and BAAQM kicks in $800. Due to the high labor costs you still need to kick in $400 even for the simplest install. I had mine installed yesterday.

kevini said:
In the SF bay area the DOE contributes 400 and BAAQM kicks in $800. Due to the high labor costs you still need to kick in $400 even for the simplest install. I had mine installed yesterday.
That's great! Would you quote the webpage for these two incentives from DOE and BAAQM? Many thanks.

waidy said:
kevini said:
That's great! Would you quote the webpage for these two incentives from DOE and BAAQM? Many thanks.

I could not find one place where the DOE and BAAQMD amount are broken out, just the EV Project one specifying that it provides $400 and then the local press release where the up to $1200 is specified:

https://www.blinknetwork.com/news-room/ecotality-wins-287m-in-bay-area-contracts-expands-the-ev-project-to-the-san-francisco-bay-area.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The total for my install was $1614, the EV Project credit was $1200 so my out of pocket was $414. I can upload the quote if anyone is interested.

it is a fantastic program and will definitely speed up the EV adoption we need!

Back