Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is the estimate I got for the installation of the Blink level 2.
Prior to receiving the estimate I spoke to the electrician on the phone. He said he didn't even need to come out for a site visit. He could see from the pic of my panel that there is space available in the panel. I told him I wanted the unit right next to the panel. He said he's done these for less than $100 out of pocket after the $400 allowance. So I'm thinking I'm good, should be an easy ... When I got the estimate I thought it seemed high, given the proximity to the panel and ease of installation. I called my municipality and the total cost of the permit is about $40. I'm not sure where the $175 comes from.

I called SPX to see if I could get a a second estimate. The adviser said the electrician had to fill out all kinds of paperwork for the DOE and that could contribute to the cost. She was going to contact the electrician and see if he could do any better on the estimate and let me know. That was Thursday, haven't heard back from her since.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

blinkestimate.jpg

Ready2Go said:
Below is the estimate I got for the installation of the Blink level 2.
Prior to receiving the estimate I spoke to the electrician on the phone. He said he didn't even need to come out for a site visit. He could see from the pic of my panel that there is space available in the panel. I told him I wanted the unit right next to the panel. He said he's done these for less than $100 out of pocket after the $400 allowance. So I'm thinking I'm good, should be an easy ... When I got the estimate I thought it seemed high, given the proximity to the panel and ease of installation. I called my municipality and the total cost of the permit is about $40. I'm not sure where the $175 comes from.

I called SPX to see if I could get a a second estimate. The adviser said the electrician had to fill out all kinds of paperwork for the DOE and that could contribute to the cost. She was going to contact the electrician and see if he could do any better on the estimate and let me know. That was Thursday, haven't heard back from her since.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

blinkestimate.jpg

looks like a great deal

Living in S. California I applied for Ecotality/Blink online and got a response about 2 weeks later. The inspector came out and said that my panel looks fine and it would take about a 50 foot line to our attached garage. Even with the $400 credit and the free charger the total came out to around $1600 just for the installation. Wow, that was sticker shock. (I was hoping for something closer to $800...) Needless to say, I'm not going with Ecotality :(

x10guy said:
Living in S. California I applied for Ecotality/Blink online and got a response about 2 weeks later. The inspector came out and said that my panel looks fine and it would take about a 50 foot line to our attached garage. Even with the $400 credit and the free charger the total came out to around $1600 just for the installation. Wow, that was sticker shock. (I was hoping for something closer to $800...) Needless to say, I'm not going with Ecotality :(

I am in SF Bay area, and had the same experience. Received the estimate from the assigned electrician and was shocked to see estimate of $500 even after the credit of $1200. I already have a unused dryer outlet with dedicated breaker and the plan was to use that instead of adding a new line/breaker, and even for that simple install, the charges are very high.

It doesn't seem logical to go with Ecotality.

Any alternative options from the forum members. I know EVSE Upgrade is an option, but I am still looking for other options. Thoughts are welcomed.

Got an excessive quote from the evproject (Through "Mr. Electric of Silicon Valley") for 888$ (after the 1200$ deductible!!!)
Are there cheaper options?

sam4205 said:
... I am in SF Bay area, and had the same experience. Received the estimate from the assigned electrician and was shocked to see estimate of $500 even after the credit of $1200. I already have a unused dryer outlet with dedicated breaker and the plan was to use that instead of adding a new line/breaker, and even for that simple install, the charges are very high.

So, the bill would be $500, installed? You won't beat that except by doing the upgrade and plugging directly into that dryer outlet. Personally, I'd go ahead with the Blink, but I'd let Blink have an earful first. $1700 for a simple install like deserves some explanation...someone is feathering their bed (and it sounds like the contractor in this case).

davewill said:
sam4205 said:
... I am in SF Bay area, and had the same experience. Received the estimate from the assigned electrician and was shocked to see estimate of $500 even after the credit of $1200. I already have a unused dryer outlet with dedicated breaker and the plan was to use that instead of adding a new line/breaker, and even for that simple install, the charges are very high.

So, the bill would be $500, installed? You won't beat that except by doing the upgrade and plugging directly into that dryer outlet. Personally, I'd go ahead with the Blink, but I'd let Blink have an earful first. $1700 for a simple install like deserves some explanation...someone is feathering their bed (and it sounds like the contractor in this case).

Thanks Davewill for your quick post.

Yes, $500 is the remaining balance to be paid by me after the credit of $1200. So I spoke to both M...al Electrician as well as the Ecotality team, and it seems the numbers is what it is. The actual installation estimate is only $500 which is surprisingly less than the $700 Administration fee and then $500 for permit and misc travel/gas time.

I am still not sure if this is the best option. Would love to hear thoughts/suggestions from the gurus.

sam4205 said:
I am still not sure if this is the best option. Would love to hear thoughts/suggestions from the gurus.
Personally, I would go with EVSEUpgrade
newownermnl
, especially if you can get it for about $350 including shipping. You will support Phil, who has done an incredible amount of great work for this community. And as a bonus, you might end up with a unique and possibly even collectible charging solution, since Nissan is phasing out the current trickle cord, and replacing it with a smaller, and less capable Panasonic model next year. Although the Open EVSE project is maturing nicely, I suspect that you won't find many portable 3 kW EVSEs in the near future, and it should hold its value nicely. Even if the Blink looks very attractive on paper, and your installation price is quite reasonable, all things considered, there is a good chance that you might experience some problems with it.

surfingslovak: Maybe this has been done before, but I don't think recently, i.e. a poll thread for each of the major EVSEs for problems (say in the last 3 months) maybe with several levels of maximum problem severity or the like. Hopefully with the release of the 2013 Leaf there will be renewed interest for more first time buyers, and a "Consumer Reports"-like users' experience poll would help with making EVSE recommendations.

sam4205 said:
... The actual installation estimate is only $500 which is surprisingly less than the $700 Administration fee and then $500 for permit and misc travel/gas time.

Whoa! What kind of horse hockey is that? The entire $1200 install allowance is eaten up before dollar one is spent on the install? That is crazy. It's still your cheapest route to a permanent, 30a EVSE, but it's so slimy and underhanded that I'd be tempted to tell Blink where to stick it. My $1200 covered a new circuit w/18 ft. of conduit (and really 25 ft. because the electrician ran it over a better route than the estimator picked). I paid nothing to get my Blink. Someone has obviously worked out the max they think people will still accept and is padding the bill to that point.

$700 admin fee my ass.

My own estimate from EcoTotality was zero after factoring in the $650 credit. I was a bit surprised because my panel is full, and a subpanel will be required unless the electrician saw something I didn't see.

They're coming out next Friday to do the install, so I'll see what happens. I was expecting to pay a little out of pocket because of the expected need for a subpanel, but maybe they factored that in. The estimate itself was not detailed enough to tell.

A fellow ATL EVer got an estimate from the same company and although he has run the outlet to the garage and just needs the charger installed, they were quoting in several hundred dollars for the install.

A neighbor down the street who admittedly lives in a MUCH nicer home than mine received a $2500 estimate. And she already had a subpanel with plenty of room and amperage to spare in the garage. She figures the electrician saw the home and figured they had $$$ to burn.

I'll report back after the install on December 28. Thanks!

got an estimation of 1600$ to install the blink charger. 400$ out of my pocket? Is it worth it? I usually charge at the company and occasionally charge at home. Leased for 3 years.

I bought my 2012 Red Leaf at the end of October. Was told of Ecotality by the extremely nice, well informed sales person at Dirito Brothers of Concord, CA (Bay Area)...

Contacted Ecotality, took possession of car 11/2; electrician came two weeks ago to assess... With $1200 credit, I had to pay $520 extra to have them run 220 from my main panel to the back wall of the garage.

"Click and Clack" as my wife called them (they kept her entertained throughout the install), arrived as scheduled yesterday, did a beautiful installation, and were on their way.

Was able to get in synch with Blink, and we are charging away!

So, install was approximately 6 weeks after we picked up the car...

seaside1982 said:
got an estimation of 1600$ to install the blink charger. 400$ out of my pocket? Is it worth it? I usually charge at the company and occasionally charge at home. Leased for 3 years.
If you don't charge a lot at home, it might be better to just upgrade your EVSE at evseupgrade.com.

However, considering the savings you get from not using gas, $400 is a great investment for convenience and shield against gas use.

bronsonb said:
My own estimate from EcoTotality was zero after factoring in the $650 credit. I was a bit surprised because my panel is full, and a subpanel will be required unless the electrician saw something I didn't see.

They're coming out next Friday to do the install, so I'll see what happens. I was expecting to pay a little out of pocket because of the expected need for a subpanel, but maybe they factored that in. The estimate itself was not detailed enough to tell.

A fellow ATL EVer got an estimate from the same company and although he has run the outlet to the garage and just needs the charger installed, they were quoting in several hundred dollars for the install.

A neighbor down the street who admittedly lives in a MUCH nicer home than mine received a $2500 estimate. And she already had a subpanel with plenty of room and amperage to spare in the garage. She figures the electrician saw the home and figured they had $$$ to burn.

I'll report back after the install on December 28. Thanks!

Well, my charger has been installed, and I can attest that the cost was *zero*. Nada. Zilcho. Goose Egg. Color me surprised. :eek:

I thought for sure there'd be a charge because my panel is full, and I'd assumed a subpanel would be needed. The guy who did the install was able to put in two "skinny" duplex breakers and take out two larger breakers to accommodate the shut off for the Blink charge. He did note that whoever did the estimate didn't do a complete job as there should have been a $100 - $200 charge for the extra work (moving circuits, two new duplex breakers). However, he said the company (Lighting Bug) would stand behind the estimate.

I have to give the guy props for doing such a great job. He was not phased at all by my set up, and he was able to place the Blink charge in the exact spot I wanted, which gives me JUST enough room to have the fridge next to it. The Blink unit is much larger than I thought, but it is fairly well packed with options and gee-gaws. I love that after inputting my KW hour rate, I can get an actual monthly cost for my charging!

Only bummer is the cable is not as long as I had hoped, so it won't reach across to the other side of the garage where I normally park. This means I will have to evict my wife from her prime space when I need to charge. However, I hope to take care of charging during the day while she is at work. Maybe there won't be a problem!

sam4205 said:
davewill said:
sam4205 said:

Thanks Davewill for your quick post.

Yes, $500 is the remaining balance to be paid by me after the credit of $1200. So I spoke to both M...al Electrician as well as the Ecotality team, and it seems the numbers is what it is. The actual installation estimate is only $500 which is surprisingly less than the $700 Administration fee and then $500 for permit and misc travel/gas time.

Same here, after the initial assessment by M...al in Brentwood, I was given an estimate of $400 out of pocket cost after all deductions. And mind you, panel is outside the garage on the same wall as to where the EVSE is to be installed, so according to the electrician, all he had to do, was punched through inside the panel and be on the other side of the wall, and set up the system, which I am totally confused as to what the extra $400 accounts for. On the other hand they gave me the option of only coming up with the permit application fees/cost , but no extra expense on my part to be paid to the contractor.

Who is actually managing these third parties to make sure that they arent siphoning $$$ from ecotality and us by making outrageous quotes?

seaside1982 said:

Well worth it. I leased mine for 3 years as well... Paid $1k out of pocket...Wish it was less...but with a 75ft run of 8Gauge wire and a friendly electrician, It was worth it. If i was to purchase a EVSE on my own $899 + Install = almost the same price if not more. Best part is the EVSE is on loan from Ecotality until the commitment is fulfilled. Then its yours to keep. After those 3 years you may want another EV or PHEV and the charger is already paid for and isntalled. If not you can certianly after the commitment is completed and the device is yours...SELL IT and make the money back.

I wouldnt think twice. taking full advantage of a L2 EVSE whenever you can makes a happier lifestyle with the LEAF.

Just my opinion..... ;)

Bummer. Got my Leaf last week. Called Ecotality to see if I was eligible for the EV Project free charger, but they say my zipcode (98270) is not eligible. This is Marysville, Washington, not too far from Seattle. I thought eligibility was supposed to be State-wide, not just certain pockets?

Got my Leaf at the end of Nov 2012. 2 yr lease, 2012 SL. Nice car. Great deal from Carriage Nissan in Gainesville, Ga.

Signed up for the free EVSE through the EVProject. Worry Free Power will do the install. I had an electrician install a 50A 240v circuit in my garage next to my electrical panel with a 14-50R outlet.

Worry Free Power says "no out of pocket expense for you". Yay! They do say that they *must* change the breaker to 40A and the outlet to something else (I can't find those technical details on the Blink WE-30CKRE that they will install...L6-20?).

Anyway, it's a free EVSE, so I won't complain! :mrgreen:

UPDATE 01/13/2013: Ecotality sent me the quote for the installation: $177 my cost. Rick at Worry Free Power had told me in a telephone conversation that there would be "no cost to you"; however, Lisa at Ecotality disagreed. Disappointed, but the deed is done. Blink EVSE works as advertised (it has done two firmware updates already). No complaints on the service work done.

Back