Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the video of the snow testing, it really shows how the car looks.. hopefully the production models will be toned down from the concepts.. way down!

And yet, with just two of us we rarely ever even use the back seat. Four is the most we will ever have on-board, so for us it is perfect.

Boomer23 said:
I just noticed in the text from the NYT article that the i3 is a four seater. That gives me some pause, along with evnow's comments about the size of the car. More like a Mitsubishi i, than a LEAF, I guess.

Boomer23 said:
BMW is dropping early hints at an i4 and and i5 for late in this decade. The i4 may be a two seat coupe based on the i3, while the i5 may be a family sedan based on the i8.

Okay, color me interested.
Late in this decade I expect multiple cars from multiple auto majors. I just hope we will all have well paying jobs ... and the stock market has stopped tanking ;)

BMW posted a new video of the i3 and i8 concepts on their Facebook page. It includes some closeups:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150482558148998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo gallery link at story below.

Anyone heard anything more about the EREV setup?

A prototype of the upcoming BMW i3 hatchback was spied wearing its production-ready body, while being transferred on a truck in Europe.

Fans of the roundel had the opportunity to see what the Bavarian company's foray into the electric car segment will look like when it hits the market in 2013 with the i3 concept model, which is currently on display at the Los Angeles Motor Show.

Not surprisingly, the prototype seen here suggests that the production version will have a slightly more conventional appearance. The shape of the roof remains as do the suicide-style rear doors but it looks like they will be much smaller in length than on the concept with the front doors featuring a handle, something that leads us to believe BMW may follow a similar solution as the one used on the MINI Clubman.

This particular test car also wore "Hybrid Test Vehicle" stickers on the front doors, which points to the REx model. For those of you with a short memory, BMW plans to launch two editions of the i3.

The standard model will be a plug-in EV only fitted with an electric motor that resides at the back driving the rear wheels. On the concept model, the battery-powered motor is rated at 170-horses (125 kW) and 250 Nm (184 lb.ft) with the lithium-ion batteries offering a cruising range of around 120km to 160km (80-100 miles).

The second model of the series will be the i3 REx that adds a small displacement petrol engine to the mix. While there have been rumors about a two-cylinder unit sourced from BMW's motorcycle division, the company is mum on official details. What we do know is that the internal combustion engine will charge the batteries and thus significantly extend the driving range.
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/11/scoop-new-bmw-i3-rex-with-range.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
Looks like another vapor car to me. Have they said anything about production and delivery dates?
Sep-2013.

The new carbon fiber plant they have already started operating in eastern WA doesn't look anything like vapor to me.

You should checkout Tom's blog about i3.

http://minie250.blogspot.com/2011/11/bmw-i3-special-sneek-peek-review.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Looks like another vapor car to me. Have they said anything about production and delivery dates?
Sep-2013.

The new carbon fiber plant they have already started operating in eastern WA doesn't look anything like vapor to me.

You should checkout Tom's blog about i3.

http://minie250.blogspot.com/2011/11/bmw-i3-special-sneek-peek-review.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not vaporware at all! It looks like the Rocky Mountain Institute's Hypercar work is finally bearing fruit!

"We wanted to make this car in the first place, now we see a way to do it."
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D-uhKHy7mk[/youtube]

AndyH said:
Not vaporware at all! It looks like the Rocky Mountain Institute's Hypercar work is finally bearing fruit!
Great video, thank you for posting that, Andy! Tom Moloughney used the holiday break to pen a nice write-up on his experience with BMW's EV program. They don't seem to lack ambition. One of the Nissan guys from the UK mentioned at the Google meeting that BMW's R&D center in Munich imported a Leaf a few months ago. They are apparently taking it under the microscope, which has Nissan concerned. Hopefully something good will come out of it.

We're not trying to be the first to the electric car market, just have the best one when we get there.
http://blogs.insideline.com/readersrides/2011/12/toms-mini-e-two-and-a-half-year-wrap-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots more details on the i3 now at BMW's "i" site

http://www.bmw-i.com/en_ww/bmw-i3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The electric motor over the rear axle – which generates output of 125 kW/170 hp and impressive torque of 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) from a standstill – and a small turning circle combine to deliver pleasingly agile driving characteristics. The BMW i3 Concept accelerates from 0 to 60 km/h (37 mph) in under four seconds and from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) in less than eight seconds.

If they have their currencies straight the i3 may be rather more expensive than earlier speculation, 40,000 British pounds ($63,324 U.S.) before incentives. I'm not sure what the usual price ratio of US and UK car prices.

The BMW i3 electric car will cost significantly more than opposition such as the Nissan Leaf and Vauxhall Ampera when it goes on sale next year, according to the company's sales and marketing boss, Ian Robertson.

'We are a premium brand and we will be bringing it to market at a premium price,' he said.

Industry speculation is that the i3 could cost around £35,000, after the £5000 Government grant for zero-emission cars.
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw-i3-to-cost-more-than-rivals/261726

I think that pricing like that would doom the i3 in the US. It's going to be seen as a small city EV, with its small size and seating capacity for only four, and a range target of only 100 miles. The Tesla Model S will have been in customers' hands for about a year before the i3 makes it to market, and with comparable pricing, many would opt for a base Model S. And the LEAF may see improvements for the 2013 model year that will make it difficult for the i3. In addition, Nissan will have an Infiniti version of the LEAF by then, which should compete strongly with the i3.

However, pricing of EVs in other countries has often been quite a bit higher than in the US market, so a selling price in Britain may not be a good guide for how BMW will price the i3 in the US. The markets are different, and EV acceptance levels are different in various countries.

LindsayNB said:
If they have their currencies straight the i3 may be rather more expensive than earlier speculation, 40,000 British pounds ($63,324 U.S.) before incentives. I'm not sure what the usual price ratio of US and UK car prices.
I think i3 will cost about $43k. This also corresponds to what the BMW guys have talked about - it would cost less than a BMW 5 series car (starting $46,900 in the US). They can price the car at $50k (which would be 10 to 12k more than Leaf/Volt) and the net price will be $43k. Anything more they are competing with a larger car with a longer range - Model S.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/09/05/bmw-ceo-bmw-i3-less-expensive-than-a-5-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
LindsayNB said:
I think the car will cost about $45k. Anything more they are competing with a larger car with a longer range - Mosel S.
Yes, BMW has already stated that the i3 will be priced competitively, and will cost less than a 5 series. I will dig up that quote this afternoon. They clearly have the Leaf in their sights, and will act accordingly. On a related note, I can confirm that the drivetrain they are developing is performance-oriented and will likely result in a vehicle that's very fun to drive and excels at high speeds. I just hope they will chose better tires, and won't repeat the runflats mistake like on the ActiveE.

surfingslovak said:
I just hope they will chose better tires, and won't repeat the runflats mistake like on the ActiveE.

Don't hold your breath on the runflats. Despite much concern among BMW's customer base regarding cost, availability and unsprung mass of runflats, BMW continues to fit them almost exclusively.

Boomer23 said:
Don't hold your breath on the runflats. Despite much concern among BMW's customer base regarding cost, availability and unsprung mass of runflats, BMW continues to fit them almost exclusively.
Boomer, thanks for your comment. You seem to be well-versed with BMW's recent vehicles. Although I used to work there, that was back in the E36 and E38 days. Believe or not, I even got to test some of the early hand-built E38 V8 prototypes, but I digress. I drove VWs and Audis almost exclusively since then, and I'm not familiar with the goings-on at BMW. I believe that we have their ear however, and several people from the MINI-E and ActiveE community regularly talk to their R&D staff. I think that it woud be worth arguing against the use of runflats on the i3, but it would behove us to articulate well.

I'm about to fit my ActiveE with a different set of tires to demonstrate how much, if at all, energy economy will improve. Another argument we have heard from a former MINI-E driver was that runflats are noisy, and she had her mechanic swap the tires out. If she had a flat, she would call a tow truck, and does not particularly care for runflats or any emergency kits the manufacturer wants to include.

I realize that everyone has different needs and expectations, but runflats should be an option at best. If there was enough space in the vehicle, some folks might decide to carry a spare with them, much like we are starting to see with the Leaf. I personally think that carrying a spare would have much lower impact on the overall efficiency of the vehicle than runflats. I would appreciate any comments and insights on the topic.

surfingslovak said:
Boomer23 said:
Boomer, thanks for your comment. You seem to be well-versed with BMW's recent vehicles. Although I used to work there, that was back in the E36 and E38 days. Believe or not, I even got to test some of the early hand-built E38 V8 prototypes, but I digress. I drove VWs and Audis almost exclusively since then, and I'm not familiar with the goings-on at BMW. I believe that we have their ear however, and several people from the MINI-E and ActiveE community regularly talk to their R&D staff. I think that it woud be worth arguing against the use of runflats on the i3, but it would behove us to articulate well.

I'm about to fit my ActiveE with a different set of tires to demonstrate how much, if at all, energy economy will improve. Another argument we have heard from a former MINI-E driver was that runflats are noisy, and she had her mechanic swap the tires out. If she had a flat, she would call a tow truck, and does not particularly care for runflats or any emergency kits the manufacturer wants to include.

I realize that everyone has different needs and expectations, but runflats should be an option at best. If there was enough space in the vehicle, some folks might decide to carry a spare with them, much like we are starting to see with the Leaf. I personally think that carrying a spare would have much lower impact on the overall efficiency of the vehicle than runflats. I would appreciate any comments and insights on the topic.

I'll be very interested in your experiences with energy use with the two types of tires. I don't know anything about the runflats that BMW chose for the ActiveE, but my guess is that they are among the most efficient of the runflats available, at least that is what I'd chose if I were at BMW.

I had a 2008 328i coupe/sport for three years before the LEAF and I was very interested in the runflat issue then. At the time I was shopping for the 328i, the common experiences with the Bridgestone runflats were noise, weight, poor tread wear life, sidewalls easily damaged, tramlining, and the expense and poor availability of replacement tires. If you got a flat, you could usually drive slowly and safely home or to a tire place or BMW Center, but then your car might be out of action for a few days while waiting for a tire. Some drivers got very poor tread wear, to the point of needing new tires in less than 10,000 miles, sometimes much less. BMW replaced some of the Bridgestones with Continentals, which were better in most regards, and at one point BMW had an unwritten policy where they'd replace the tires at part or no cost if they were under a certain mileage and they had certain kind of wear, usually edge wear.

I only drove my BMW 18,000 miles in the three years that I leased it, and I was concerned about being able to return it from lease without having to pay $500 to $600 each for replacement tires. I got lucky and the tires lasted my entire lease without wearing out. That was mostly because I didn't drive very aggressively. Aggressive drivers got much less mileage from their Bridgestones.

I haven't kept up with the developments on the BMW forums since I returned the 328i, so I don't know how things have progressed on this issue. My guess is that there are more choices in brands and types of runflats, more availability and lower prices, all of which are good things.

Back