Oakland Airport (OAK) EV parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric4Me

I've split this off from mwalsh's LAX thread.

News reports show that OAK has installed a bunch of Coulomb chargers in their Premier parking lot that are free to use:
http://www.cleanfleetreport.com/ele...electric-vehicles/oak-charging-electric-cars/

Unfortunately, they are only available in the "Premier" lot which is $36/day!

The OAK web page seems to confirm this pricing, but I'll contact them and report back on what I find. From the web page:

Electric Vehicle Charging:

* Electric Vehicle Charging available in Premier Parking Lot
* EV Chargers are J-1772 compliant Level 1/2
* Normal parking rates apply; FREE introductory rate to plug in
* Visit Coulomb Technologies for more information

TEG reports that there is a private company down the street from OAK ($9.95/day) that has complimentary EV charging:
http://www.expressoparking.com/freejuice/

Electric4Me said:
TEG reports that there is a private company down the street from OAK ($9.95/day) that has complimentary EV charging:

I must say that I did find it somewhat implausible that the free EV charging would be available with the bargain basement $9.95 self-park rate. Might be best to find out for sure.

mwalsh said:
Electric4Me said:

I must say that I did find it somewhat implausible that the free EV charging would be available with the bargain basement $9.95 self-park rate. Might be best to find out for sure.

I was just told on the phone that the EV parking requires the Valet parking ($14.95/day). :( Although it does make sense for them to be able to move the cars around to make the best use of their charger(s). I've contacted their listed email address to confirm.

Back on the subject of the official OAK parking lots, they told me on the phone that there are EV chargers in ALL of their lots, but they're the older style(s).

Bill

I've not had to fly since getting my LEAF, but when going out of Oakland I always use Expressoparking. They do a great job and have always been green-car friendly. They also give good discounts for AAA, so I never pay full pricing.

Electric4Me said:
I was just told on the phone that the EV parking requires the Valet parking ($14.95/day). :( Although it does make sense for them to be able to move the cars around to make the best use of their charger(s).

Makes perfect sense. But I could see that coming from 400 miles away (distance between here and there). :lol:

Now, I wonder when LAX will stop being free for EV ... take the perks while it's there, I guess.

I just heard back from Ron McDaniel of ExpressoParking:
Bill,

Thank you for pointing out that it doesn’t mention valet only on the site, we will be updating that shortly to avoid future confusion.

If you sign up for our corporate discount at http://www.expressoparking.com/discounts/ and enroll your family or company (it doesn’t matter) you will receive $5 off the daily rate making the valet option the same price as our outdoor rate.

Hopefully this will be a good solution for you. Let me know if you have additional questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Respectfully,
Ron

Ironically, I don't really need charging as I'm only ~15 miles from the airport, but mwalsh's post got me thinking about fishing around for any available "perks"! Free parking would certainly be nice, but it is not expected...

Ironic item #2: we may have two much luggage to take the Leaf anyway! I doubt my wife will see the point in me loading the luggage rack on the hitch just so we can save 30 round trip miles on her SUV...

Electric4Me said:
Ironic item #2: we may have two much luggage to take the Leaf anyway! I doubt my wife will see the point in me loading the luggage rack on the hitch just so we can save 30 round trip miles on her SUV...

Having not really loaded my LEAF to the gills (there would have been more room if I'd been willing to remove the cargo cover entirely), I can say that it easily hauled:

1 large suitcase
2 medium suitcases
1 large duffel bag
2 carry-on sized rolling bags
1 small laptop backpack

I could have probably got another carry-on sized rolling bag or small/medium duffel bag under/on top of the large duffel and perhaps another large suitcase (maybe even two) on top of the medium suitcases already in the hatch cargo area (or rather between the medium suitcases, because stacking them that way makes more sense - note: might have had to relocate the EVSE bag):

Img_5706.jpg

mwalsh said:
Electric4Me said:

Having not really loaded my LEAF to the gills (there would have been more room if I'd been willing to remove the cargo cover entirely), I can say that it easily hauled:

1 large suitcase
2 medium suitcases
1 large duffel bag
2 carry-on sized rolling bags
1 small laptop backpack

I could have probably got another carry-on sized rolling bag or small/medium duffel bag under/on top of the large duffel and perhaps another large suitcase (maybe even two) on top of the medium suitcases already in the hatch cargo area (or rather between the medium suitcases, because stacking them that way makes more sense - note: might have had to relocate the EVSE bag). See the pictures in the LAX invasion thread.

You're right Michael, I'm sure I'll be able to get all of our luggage into the Leaf. It's the kids that will have to ride on the hitch rack!! :lol: :lol:

Electric4Me said:
You're right Michael, I'm sure I'll be able to get all of our luggage into the Leaf. It's the kids that will have to ride on the hitch rack!! :lol: :lol:

It's not too late to sell them for scientific experiments. From 'Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life':

Father: The mill's closed. There's no more work. We're destitute.
Children: Ohhhhh.
Father: I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for scientific experiments.

Electric4Me said:
mwalsh said:
Electric4Me said:

I was just told on the phone that the EV parking requires the Valet parking ($14.95/day). :( Although it does make sense for them to be able to move the cars around to make the best use of their charger(s). I've contacted their listed email address to confirm.

Back on the subject of the official OAK parking lots, they told me on the phone that there are EV chargers in ALL of their lots, but they're the older style(s).

Bill

You know, it wouldn't be too hard for airport parking to setup 120V outlets every 4th spots or so for EV trickle charging...since you need to park for long period anyways (for the traveling patron, of course).

mwalsh said:
Electric4Me said:

Using a corporate discount, I did get free charging at $9.95/day (reduced rate Valet parking).
freejuice.jpg

(Yum, free juice. They had free coffee and muffins too.)

TEG said:
mwalsh said:
Electric4Me said:

Using a corporate discount, I did get free charging at $9.95/day (reduced rate Valet parking).
(Yum, free juice. They had free coffee and muffins too.)
Good deal! I'll likely use them for shorter trips. My next one is 13 days so I'll just con a friend into shuttling me...

Back