NYTimes Article Trading Pumps for Plugs: We Aren’t There Yet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krwalsh

I was contacted by Tom Zeller of the New York Times about our LEAF. I emailed back and forth with him a few times, and talked on the phone once or twice. They also sent Jim Wilson, their staff photographer for the Bay Area out to photograph my family and our LEAF. You can see the resulting article here:

Trading Pumps for Plugs: We Aren’t There Yet
http://tinyurl.com/46bkrf9

It is in an Energy Special in the Business Section if you're looking for it in print.

Meh, a negative headline then a relatively factually correct article that doesn't back the headline. What's new :p

I even agree with their guy that claims adoption will be slower - but not for any reason cited in the article. They say 800k or so by 2015. Given that no major EV is going to be "walk up to a dealer and buy it" available until probably mid-to-late 2012 or possibly even 2013, that seems reasonable.

I only agree in that the infrastructure is quite juvenile for the moment. But that will change, and charging stations will become ubiquitous. Even getting JUST the public EV Project stuff up and running would be a major step forward.

mwalsh said:
I only agree in that the infrastructure is quite juvenile for the moment. But that will change, and charging stations will become ubiquitous. Even getting JUST the public EV Project stuff up and running would be a major step forward.

it is a far better and more balanced story than last night's outrageous story on the Nightly Business Report, which focused on the issue of EV drivers being a unified demographic and therefore likely in the same neighborhoods and therefore likely to cause power problems when they all plug in at the same time. YIKES!
doesnt that happen with AC in the summer afternoon and electric driers on Saturday and electric ovens and stoves on TNG Day?
I mean had they ever heard of peak load and rates that encourage charging at nite?

ugly crap.

I think Tom did a great job of putting together a very fair and well done article on the infrastructure requirements and EVs becoming more mainstream. The title isn't all that misleading, and if you read it in the paper version along with the other articles on that page and in the Energy Special it fits, makes sense, and is a little less "sensational," I think.

Our LEAF's initial cost was around $35K before the $7,500 tax credit. It has everything: blue tooth hands free phone, USB ports, CD Player, Color TV backup, GPS Navigation, Cell phone to car communication, etc., etc. What I wonder is that a fair comparison to a Versa and does the price referenced include all the bells and whistles the LEAF has?

Nice article, but the comparison to a Versa as a LEAF alternative is out of touch with reality. Equipment level is only the beginning. I would certainly not have traded my Bimmer for a Versa.

It's a real shame about where the page break occurs in the online version:

Page 1: The car costs 33.6K compared with 15K for a Versa.

If that turns you off, and you don't click on NEXT PAGE, you don't see:

Page 2: But you get 7.5K off in a tax credit, and the operating cost is much lower.

Ray

I've asked my PD what would a fully loaded (if you can even get every accessory a LEAF has) Versa sell for. I haven't heard back yet but it will be interesting if the fully loaded Versa is at $15K. I don't mind a price comparison if it is of like equipped cars. My PT Cruiser with everything on it cost about $25K eight years ago and the LEAF seems to be about the same size and the PT didn't have near the accessories that the LEAF has.

What is missed in this article and in most is that electrics may not ever fully replace gasoline. However for a second vehicle in a multivehicle family we ARE THERE NOW. If the evs on the road eventually moves to 20% to 50% penetration of the market there will be a huge difference in the way fuel is consumed. Leaf and the others soon to follow will be perfectly capable of meeting this market.

The author also mentions how much people like the current gasoline vehicles... I am not entirely sure that is true. As if gasoline cars never have recurring problems, never leave you stranded on the road, never make you late to work, and we all know maintanance or repairs is often very costly. EV may address more issues than just fuel.

Why are you guys comparing the Leaf to a Versa?.. two completely different cars, completely different dimensions, completely different platforms with completely different levels of equipment. Price compare the Leaf to another midsized hatchback with similar options, you will find a comparable final cost.. not even taking fuel and maintenance savings into account.

The Leaf just looks like a Versa, mostly from the back. That along with mules for the Leaf that used the Versa is what causes the confusion. You can compare the dimensions here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Tiida

just talked with a local dealer in LA, who has an orphan Leaf.
I was on their list when I was pricing after my RAQ.
They are selling it for 3k over MSRP, without the QC. That is 4k over what I am paying with the QC.
The dealer says there are 20k buyers out there on a waiting list. Plenty of interest in this car.

Back