NYT says EV not worth it. Leaf = Versa

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's part of the electric drive and so is legitimately charged to the EV. (Personally, I don't need it and so don't care if I have it or not. It's neither why I wouldn't by the Versa or why I would buy the Leaf.)

EvansvilleLeaf said:
Now price up an extra 80ft/lbs of torque

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok say you can get a Versa for $20K plus tax $1760 or $21,760

it costs about $1950-2100 for gas a year http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2012_Nissan_Versa.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which would be 9750-10,500 after 5 years or up to 32,260...ok

or get a Leaf. $36,000 minus $7500 is $28,500 (no sales tax in WA)

EPA rating is for 15,000 miles a year say we average 2.5 to 3.5 cents per mile (nearly all of us fall in that range with a small handful of exceptions solar or Ridiculous) so that is 375-525 a year or 1875 to 2625 after 5 years

i will forgo the math here. once again, we ignore the priceless value of driving electric, no going to gas stations, not being subjected to wild swings in prices, etc.

it has been said many times, the NYT writer is "right" in his own way. he is typical of an American when considering money.

there was a Nova program on Money. two questions asked, seemingly the same but greatly different answers

"if you could get $100 a year from today or take $110 a year and a day from now, which would you choose?"

everyone took the $110 a year and a day from now

but the second question; "what do you want? $100 today, or $110 tomorrow?"

over 98% took the $100 today

the reason people do this is because of their need for instant gratification. if forced to plan long term, they nearly always make the right financial decision. but in spur of the moment decisions when "right now" is an option, they almost always fail to make the right decision. the quirk in the Human genome is the reason why credit card companies, used car lots, fast food restaurants and dollar stores are flourishing.

so the NYT writer is not "wrong", "crazy" or "out of touch". he is actually very normal. but he is also typical of the reason why our country got into so much financial trouble.
While I agree with you in general, the statement I've bolded is an example of your personal values (and that of EV owners): "we ignore the priceless value of driving electric, no going to gas stations, not being subjected to wild swings in prices, etc." These things are not 'priceless', they all have a price, whether in dollars, convenience, or what have you. EV owners just value certain features more highly than the mainstream. Neither are right or wrong in absolute terms.

fine then. lets be concrete. first put a value on your time. what do you make at work? or what do you think you are worth?

then calculate the difference in time you take to get gas. let me help you.

before i changed jobs, i drove past Costco located in Lacey WA on the corner of Marvin Road and Martin Way. Problem is, its in a large shopping complex. so this 150 yard detour from my daily commute (which could only be done between 4:30 and 6 PM depending on my work schedule) took between 17 and 33 minutes to swing by to get gas. (yes, i timed it for a poll at Priuschat)

so sure, it was hit and miss. Costco is nice because it is (like Costco is) set up for volume service. they have a very large dedicated area for gas so easy to line up. they have a lot of pumps, etc. problem is, i am not the only one is town who is aware that if using the Costco AMEX card you are getting the cheapest gas in town.

now, i drive the Leaf most of the time but traded with SO when Prius needed gas.

so put that into your computer and add that to the TCO of EV verses gas. since EVs have already won (sure it takes 5 years but it is inevitable) this now makes is kinda of a wipeout...

Yodrak said:
That's part of the electric drive and so is legitimately charged to the EV. (Personally, I don't need it and so don't care if I have it or not. It's neither why I wouldn't by the Versa or why I would buy the Leaf.)

EvansvilleLeaf said:

Then the huge portion of automotive industry marketing dollars spent on touting things like smoothness, acceleration and power is apparently pissed into the wind, because torque is the feature that gives those benefits. I'm guessing most people value them or they wouldn't be so integral to marketing.

Again if all people want is cheapest possible transportation every argument here can be applied to every new car not just EVs. The whole point is the compatability of one car to another tangentially related. The Leaf is bigger, better equipped, smoother, quieter, more powerful and more economical to run than the Versa. How much subjective value each buyer places on each category is de gustibus, but you can't just say "ignore the power difference because it doesn't matter to me". It remains a difference, a huge difference at that, and a huge difference that changes the most basic and integral attributes of driving.

"Charged" to the EV? No idea what that means - it's a negative? Absurd. It's a given function of any EV? Not really - an electric drive with 127 ft/lbs of torque is very feasible as is an ICE with 207. The curve would differ, but the level could easily be switched.

thankyouOB said:
Honestly, i am not sure why GRA even posts here. He told us he doesnt have a Leaf.
I think he's just got a different perspective. I think he is pro-EV, just his needs exceed that of the LEAF's. It certainly doesn't hurt to have that perspective as ultimately we feedback like that will improve the offerings. Yes, he's argumentative, but he's entitled to share his point of view.

Having said that, I do have the same question. For someone whose current needs are not met by the current LEAF, he does spend a lot of time discussing it! :)

lpickup said:
Having said that, I do have the same question. For someone whose current needs are not met by the current LEAF, he does spend a lot of time discussing it! :)

I am all for free speech and that is why we have chat rooms such as this, but GRA is disruptive in a suspicious way and you point out the primary dissonance. (bf is mine)

yea, a troll = "someone who posts inflammatory ... messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

I've driven BMW and Mercedes for the last 10 years or so. Just got the Leaf and love it. While it is for service I have a Versa loan car. It feels like a cheap piece of junk. I honestly didn't feel like I had stepped down too much (miss the electric seat controls with 3 drivers in the family, that is about it) driving the Leaf.

(Maybe an old topic just read the first few messages in this thread).

But Leaf vs. Versa. No comparison at all.

thankyouOB said:
right on with the time-is-money calculation.
Like I said, DaveolyWA, the guy GRA is a troll.

well, i dont know if i would go that far. i have spent a lot of my free time in the past 8 years preaching hybrid/EVs to the masses and i run into a lot of people who are simply hesitant and cautious.

many people cannot effectively quantify their needs properly. this is normal

we have 3 pro's and 4 cons. the cons win based on volume not their relative worth. i talk to people every day who discount EVs on a single issue despite just having agreed with me on a half dozen points.

its a tough cookie to crack and those people will come around but only after being saturated with personal word of mouth experiences.

my 84 YO Dad is a prime example. he thought i was crazy to buy a Prius. especially when Corollas and Camry's were around and much cheaper. granted gas was $1.91 a gallon the day i took my first Prius home. he has been driving his 2009 Prius for over 3 years now.

but back to your comment; it is tough to converse with someone who does not address your conversation but brings up other "points". now what those points relate to, i do not know

EvansvilleLeaf said:
GRA said:
EvansvilleLeaf said:
An extra 80 ft. lbs of torque for a Versa would cost a hell of a lot less than an extra 300+ miles of range for a BEV (Versa 1.8SL HB 28/34 mpg x 13.2 gal tank). Which does a mainstream consumer consider more valuable?

Unless he is either a) someone who has access to only one car and must make long trips at frequent and unpredictable intervals or b) a fricking idiot, then it is the attribute that is used every single time he presses the accelerator, that makes his car smoother, more responsive and more enjoyable to drive, rather than the one that makes absolutely no difference to his life beyond plugging in every couple of days rather than gassing up every week or so. We all know that the vast majority of consumers take few trips that the Leaf cannot handle, and do so predictably. We all know that more drivers are in multi-car households than single car households. Sure it's easy to find a povery-level travelling sales rep in Wyoming who lives alone but has kids living with his ex-wife 65 miles away and preen that an EV won't work for him, but nobody's saying it has to There are enough multi-car families and drivers with few needs for long haul trips to keep EV capacity tapped out for decades.
What you're trying to do is make value related only to accessory features, rather than driving comfort and enjoyment. By that metric, you could compare a loaded Versa on an equal basis to an M3 too.
Well to take these in order, your option 'a' exactly describes my car usage, a single-car household that uses a car for frequent out of town trips (and not at all in town, which makes me non-mainstream). As to the rest of that paragraph, I've never argued that a BEV for commuting and urban use doesn't make sense for many multi-car families, only that these same families remain unconvinced that it's worth it to them.

As to your final point, no, I'm not talking only about accessory features and ignoring driving comfort and enjoyment. But you were crediting an electric motor's inherent characteristic of maximum torque as a feature compared to the Versa (or most any ICE), while not also treating the inherent characteristic of an ICE's high energy-density liquid fuel (and its infrastructure) as a feature compared to the low energy density (and lack of infrastructure) of any currently available BEV. This is not an honest comparison.

Sure, I like an EV's quietness, lack of vibration, torque from a standing start, etc., but they aren't worth more to me than the ability to go wherever I want when I want, drive 300+ miles non-stop, refuel in 5 minutes and do it again, while not having to worry that heater/AC use may make me unable to get to my destination with nowhere to charge. If the positive features of a BEV are valuable to me I can afford to buy an ICE with most of them (and pay for the privilege), but no current BEV can provide me with the range @ speed, utility and convenience of an ICE which I require, at ANY price.

When you say you can compare a Versa to an M3, sure you can, but what you gain with the extra cost of an M3 doesn't require the sacrifice of the other features the Versa provides, they're in addition to them. Whereas comparing a BEV to any ICE requires tradeoffs of one set of advantages for another. EV owners consider the trade worthwhile, mainstream consumers don't as yet. As the performance of EVs improves, their price falls and the cost of fossil fuel transport increases, more and more people will think the tradeoffs are worthwhile.

if you really believe that features such as the ability to recharge at home is such a major convenience, ask yourself this: If you had two BEVs selling for the same price, one a Leaf as is, another exactly the same except that it could only recharge it at these places (i.e. not at home), which would be more likely to sell? Obviously, the 40% of the population that doesn't have access to an outlet at home would opt for the latter choice, but I'm talking about the other 60% of the population.

GRA said:
Well to take these in order, your option 'a' exactly describes my car usage, a single-car household that uses a car for frequent out of town trips (and not at all in town, which makes me non-mainstream). As to the rest of that paragraph, I've never argued that a BEV for commuting and urban use doesn't make sense for many multi-car families, only that these same families remain unconvinced that it's worth it to them.
These families may be unconvinced due to the lack of familiarity with EV, rather than doing a cost analysis and seeing that they could at least break even and decrease their use of fossil fuels, which has many, many benefits to them over the longer term.

You sound like a good candidate for a Prius. What car do you currently drive?

thankyouOB said:
Honestly, i am not sure why GRA even posts here.
He told us he doesnt have a Leaf.

Is that the definition of a troll, or what?
Why, no:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

My intent is to provide information and a viewpoint from outside the often somewhat insular world of EV enthusiasts, which hopefully leads to rational discussion of the issue without getting emotions involved (see my back and forth with Lpickup for an example). To repeat one of my favorite Robert A. Heinlein quotes:

What are the facts? Again and again and again -- what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine reevelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history". what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

I orignally came to MNL looking to find out whether it (or any other current BEV) meets my range and other requirements. Sadly the answer is still no, but they are getting closer so I stay engaged.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok say you can get a Versa for $20K plus tax $1760 or $21,760

it costs about $1950-2100 for gas a year http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2012_Nissan_Versa.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which would be 9750-10,500 after 5 years or up to 32,260...ok

or get a Leaf. $36,000 minus $7500 is $28,500 (no sales tax in WA)

EPA rating is for 15,000 miles a year say we average 2.5 to 3.5 cents per mile (nearly all of us fall in that range with a small handful of exceptions solar or Ridiculous) so that is 375-525 a year or 1875 to 2625 after 5 years

i will forgo the math here. once again, we ignore the priceless value of driving electric, no going to gas stations, not being subjected to wild swings in prices, etc.

it has been said many times, the NYT writer is "right" in his own way. he is typical of an American when considering money.

there was a Nova program on Money. two questions asked, seemingly the same but greatly different answers

"if you could get $100 a year from today or take $110 a year and a day from now, which would you choose?"

everyone took the $110 a year and a day from now

but the second question; "what do you want? $100 today, or $110 tomorrow?"

over 98% took the $100 today

the reason people do this is because of their need for instant gratification. if forced to plan long term, they nearly always make the right financial decision. but in spur of the moment decisions when "right now" is an option, they almost always fail to make the right decision. the quirk in the Human genome is the reason why credit card companies, used car lots, fast food restaurants and dollar stores are flourishing.

so the NYT writer is not "wrong", "crazy" or "out of touch". he is actually very normal. but he is also typical of the reason why our country got into so much financial trouble.
While I agree with you in general, the statement I've bolded is an example of your personal values (and that of EV owners): "we ignore the priceless value of driving electric, no going to gas stations, not being subjected to wild swings in prices, etc." These things are not 'priceless', they all have a price, whether in dollars, convenience, or what have you. EV owners just value certain features more highly than the mainstream. Neither are right or wrong in absolute terms.

fine then. lets be concrete. first put a value on your time. what do you make at work? or what do you think you are worth?

then calculate the difference in time you take to get gas. let me help you.

before i changed jobs, i drove past Costco located in Lacey WA on the corner of Marvin Road and Martin Way. Problem is, its in a large shopping complex. so this 150 yard detour from my daily commute (which could only be done between 4:30 and 6 PM depending on my work schedule) took between 17 and 33 minutes to swing by to get gas. (yes, i timed it for a poll at Priuschat)

so sure, it was hit and miss. Costco is nice because it is (like Costco is) set up for volume service. they have a very large dedicated area for gas so easy to line up. they have a lot of pumps, etc. problem is, i am not the only one is town who is aware that if using the Costco AMEX card you are getting the cheapest gas in town.

now, i drive the Leaf most of the time but traded with SO when Prius needed gas.

so put that into your computer and add that to the TCO of EV verses gas. since EVs have already won (sure it takes 5 years but it is inevitable) this now makes is kinda of a wipeout...
I'm glad it works out for you. For me, when I was commuting daily by car I would get gas about once a week, more if I went out of town on the weekends. Total time, 5 minutes average. Now that I don't have to do that, I get gas maybe once a month, same time. Assuming you've got your home charging down to a science, I figure you spend maybe 15 seconds a day connnecting and disconnecting, so 1.75 minutes a week.

OTOH, since my typical trip is outside any currently affordable BEV's range, I would have to spend far longer charging at L2 in an inconvenient location (there are no L3s), and would have to get up an hour or two earlier on a weekend to have time to do so. This is a savings in convenience?

GRA said:
To repeat one of my favorite Robert A. Heinlein quotes:

What are the facts? Again and again and again -- what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine reevelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history". what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
That is a very good quote. Here are some of the facts:

Leaf has no tailpipe emissions, so not contributing to smog and resulting health problems if powered on renewable energy
Leaf doesn't contribute to oil dependency, which:
--supports terrorist regimes
--worsens our balance of payments
--leads to huge military expenditures to guarantee our continued access to oil
--has involved us in a war which has cost many thousands of lives (over a hundred thousand for the Iraqis)
Leaf doesn't contribute to global warming if run on renewable power (except for manufacture, construction and maintenance of renewable power plants)

Taking these facts into account, it is to the benefit of all of us to move to EV as quickly as possible. The fact is that these costs are externalized, so while an individual does not pay these costs directly, our country bears the full cost. A carbon tax that took account of these externalities would level the playing field.

you answered my question and defined yourself as a troll.
to quote our agreed upon definition of a troll: you are "disrupting normal on-topic discussion"
with your particular concerns and off-topic issues.

Buy yourself a Leaf and come back, or acquire knowledge about EV driving and come back. Or supply us with some original and pertinent facts about ICE driving that we all dont already know after years and years of ICE driving.
you cant. you wont.
so just go away.

Someone engages in the discussion with reasonable explanations to support his viewpoints and he's asked to go away. The hive mentality is alive and well, I see.

....snip

if you really believe that features such as the ability to recharge at home is such a major convenience, ask yourself this: If you had two BEVs selling for the same price, one a Leaf as is, another exactly the same except that it could only recharge it at these places (i.e. not at home), which would be more likely to sell? Obviously, the 40% of the population that doesn't have access to an outlet at home would opt for the latter choice, but I'm talking about the other 60% of the population.

I would take the one that could recharge at home. I have other cars if I need to go outside the range, and prefer to be in the comfort of my garage when refueling than a station subject to the vicissitudes of weather, staffing and patrons.

And if you are in option a as you state the Leaf obviously isn't for you - but ignoring the many huge differences between a Leaf and a Versa is not necessary for you to conclude this, and rather strange behavior. I don't go around telling Volvo C70 buyers that their car is nothing more than a Focus, even though that's closer than the Leaf is to a Versa, because it's patently absurd and I gain nothing from trying to sow FUD into the minds of drivers of a car which is of no interest to me.

If I understand correctly, GRA:

- has a range need much larger than what the current version of Leaf offers
- thinks the whole concept of public charging which could take anywhere between 1/2 hr to 3 hrs is silly
- not needing gas or the money one can save on gas is not worth the trouble.

That's fine. There are many Americans whose needs the current Leaf does not fit, and there are many where Leaf fits their needs and lifestyle. In the former category there are very many who love and get high on gas fumes and paying $60 a week to the oil men is too intoxicating for them to let that go. Fair enough. This forum is not for them.

An honest analysis will bring out the fact that a Leaf-equivalent ICE car (not the Versa, not the Cruze) will be no more than $3k to $5k price differential(with Fed rebate of course). And the ROI starts from year 2 or 3, not 10 or 15 as that irresponsible NYT reporter says.

right, myajkumar, this forum is not for them and they are consciously wasting our time and disrupting our discussion for their own amusement.
the definition of a troll.

and Train, it is not hive mentality, it is just not wanting to put up with windy BS from someone who adds nothing to the discussion but to disrupt it. There is no value added, it is value subtracted. it is self-indulgent.
how many times can he tell us that the Leaf doesnt fit his needs or those of hypothetical others.

no matter how well stated (and verbose) his observations about his own lifestyle and needs are, I dont need someone who drives and ICE and doesnt want a Leaf to tell me all the things I already know about an ICE. I own one, and have owned them for years.

As far as L2 charging is concerned, I tend to agree. A half hour at a Walgreens or the like is not going to be of much value to many people... Just my opinion...

mkjayakumar said:
thinks the whole concept of public charging which could take anywhere between 1/2 hr to 3 hrs is silly

Let me say that again:

I dont need someone who drives and ICE and doesnt want a Leaf to tell me all the things I already know about an ICE and all the things wrong with the Leaf.
I have both. I get it.
just go away.

Back